R.I.P. Fellow Mater Mark Benson (1 Viewer)

lmhb oyf

Nitro Member
Sadly, fellow Mater and Wilk Warrior Mark Benson passed away this morning.

As some of you know Mark worked with Tim back when Tim was running Alcohol Funny Car and have remained close.

Mark, you will be missed, my friend. God Speed!

This is very sad news. I was lucky enough to have known and raced with Mark starting back in the Pevely/Gateway/Benton days. He was a remarkable man and I am the better person for having known him.

I can't ever remember Mark in a bad mood or saying anything pessimistic all the times I was around him. Even though he battled serious medical issues for a large part of his life I never heard him complain, expect different treatment, or want any sympathy whatsoever.

This world would be a significantly better place if everyone lived their life in the spirit that Mark did. He was one of those people who make an indelilible mark on those around him and define the term "unforgettable".

I offer my sincerest condolences to his family and loved ones.

thoughts and prayers to his family and friends

My Dad (Ron Boyd) and Mark were best friends for 30+ years. As a kid, I remember Mark and his brother Jeff always out in our garage getting the race car ready for Saturday night bracket racing at Assumption, Illinois.
Mark always had a smile and a bigger heart. He lived his life to the fullest. He loved racing and when he was at the track you could see he was in his element.

Wilkfan, our good friend, we will miss you.

Dionne and Ken Manzer

Sorry to hear this, my thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family.

Thanks for letting us know Drew. Oh man what a bummer, Mark was a cool dude and a great fan of both Tim Wilkerson and drag racing. We met a few years at a meeting and we always seem to meet up at Indy. I will spend a moment this year at The Big Go in silence for him. He will be missed.
May God bless him and his family.

I know I've told the story here before, but the only memory I have of Mark was when I didn't even know him. It was the year Wilk won Indy (don't remember the year) and we were sitting in the last set of grandstands on the sportsman side (what used to be the 1,000-foot club). Mark was sitting down front and with every round, his emotions ran a little higher and it was obvious he was more than just a fan of Wilk. Well, when they came by us in the final, Tim had him covered and was headed for the win and to watch Mark's reaction unfold was very awesome. Like I said, every round brought out more emotion than the round before and by the time the final rolled around, he had all of us in that grandstand rooting for Wilk. It was an intense moment when that win light came on to say the least.

Like I said, I didn't even know him when all of that happened. I eventually sent him a private message here on the 'Mater and asked him if he was that guy all those years ago. He replied back enthusiastically "Yes!" and told me and my wife to look him up in Wilk's pits last year in Indy. Unfortunately, last year was the first in about 30-years that I didn't make it to the Big-Go. With Mark's unfortunate passing, and by reading everyone's comments about him, I can't help but feel that I missed out by not meeting him............................really missed out.

Sorry to ramble, but it's one of my fondest memories at the races as a fan, and it happened to include this guy. RIP Mark.

Sean D

Oh, Drew I'm sorry to hear of this loss. I haven't been around much lately, but I had heard of this offline. :( Terribly sad to lose one of our 'family'.

Very sad news. Mark was a very friendly person who loved this sport and will be missed. Thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back