DO YOU REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE TODAY..One Year ago? (1 Viewer)

Tim5636sc

Nitro Member
It just turned 12:01am here in Nitroville, Colorado. I am talking with a fellow mater and just realized today is the anniversary of Eric's Passing. As soon as I remembered this, I thought back to where I was when I heard of his passing. I was at work, getting ready to leave on my route, when I checked the computer for any updates on his condition, when I got an Email from a very good friend saying that he was gone. I remember just feeling weak in my knee's and sick to my stomach. Knowing that Eric, a guy who I totally related too, somebody who had "WORKED" His way to the top, and had become good friends with, who used to spray my A$$ with the burnout water box hose when he came up to 'walk the track' with me, who I taught the Skills of "Craps" too, was now gone...

It is amazing how much has happened this past year since his death, but one thing remains the same. My Resolve to do what he did! To race professionally like he did, to be a person who lives every day knowing that the sun is shining, (But we like the rain too), to know that the birds are chirpin' and there is nitro in the tank! I miss Eric dearly, as I know that Many of you do too! I just wanted to share this with ya'll on the anniversary of his passing and ask you, if you remember where you were when you found out that he had gone to visit Jesus, and how he may have influenced your lives?

I miss ya Eric, and I am trying really hard bro! And I'll never forget ya!:cool:

Tim Charlet

I remember that I was in Albuquerque, visiting my parents & packing to come home and wishing I didn't have to leave.

Some people pass on and you will miss them forever.

I think the true meaning of bittersweet is when you remember the good times and still miss them so much it hurts.

I was thinking the same thing.

I was on my way to dinner and my Mom called me and told me the news. I remember it like it was yesterday. I had on Elvis Radio on my Sirius Satalite Radio and they were playing "See See Rider". From that point on, whenever I hear that song I always think of Eric. It's still hard to believe that he's gone.

Dave

I remember all too well that afternoon. I was checking out the friggin` Yankees.com message board like I always do, and my wife calls and tells me one of her drivers from work radioed in and told her that Eric had passed, then she called and told me. I just remember feeling like I was in a fog. Being at Vegas1 a couple of weeks later was pretty emotional...Hight beating Capps in the final was very fitting!

Last edited:
I remember watching the Gainseville race with my dad that we taped, and afterwards I checked NHRA.com to check on Eric's condition and I got the news that he passed on. :(

I had just finished dinner when my mom told me Eric had passed. My first response was "No, he didn't", I just couldn't believe it. I made her read the article to me. I had to go for a long walk after that and try to let it sink in that he was gone.

Here is my tribute from last year.
YouTube - Eric Medlen

I remember that I was in Albuquerque, visiting my parents & packing to come home and wishing I didn't have to leave.

Some people pass on and you will miss them forever.

I think the true meaning of bittersweet is when you remember the good times and still miss them so much it hurts.

You were in Albuq. and you didn't say Hi? Seriously I heard about Eric's crash from a friend who saw it happen. The first report was that Eric crashed pretty good in testing and that was about it. Nobody thought this crash was fatal at first, it wasn't until the emergency crews were at the car for quite awhile with NO report on his condition. Sad day indeed!:(

Last edited:
I was riding in a buddy's brand new motorhome on the way to Bristol, TN to attend the Food City 500 NASCAR race. Just as we entered Tennessee, my brother called me with the news. When my phone rang and I saw it was him calling, I had an eerie feeling as to the reason he was calling. We had been following the story as closely as possible and knew of the grave situation. A sad day indeed.

I was at home and kept checking for updates when I saw it...I was in shock for a few minutes, definatly a hard time!:(
Make sure and eat some ice cream today...for Eric!

I remember exactly where I was. I'd been checking the racing sites obsessively all day for some reason, but with no big updates about Eric's condition. Then I was at the post office, waiting for my friend to show up, so I decided to check the internet again on my phone. When the horrible news started to download, my knees nearly buckled, I started crying and just had to get out of there. Somehow I managed to drive home and then really lost it for quite a while once I got home. I still can't believe it's been a year. :(

You were in Albuq. and you didn't say Hi?

Hey Joe,

I'll be in Albuquerque in two weeks, bowling at the convention center in the USBC National Bowling Tournament. Sunday and Monday, the 6th and 7th. Drop by and watch a rank amatuer (really rank sometimes) try to win a buck or two.

Murdock.

I remember all too well....I was checking the internet constantly! I was crushed and sad....and in a daze all through the Baytown/Houston race. That whole weekend was surreal. It was a very emotional weekend with the rain outs/rain delays. Sunday, with Capps' win and the whole experience in the Winner's Circle was one of the most emotional experiences of my life! Talk about a bittersweet experience! The fact the whole JFR society was missing was an extremely empty feeling.

I was in Thailand for work (I just got back from this years trip) surrounded by folks who had no idea what I was feeling, so I called Mickey to talk to him and Beth. I can't believe it been a year.

S/F
D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back