Prayers Please for Angie Smith (1 Viewer)

Butch

Nitro Member
PLEASE everyone pray for Angie she came off the bike in Q2, people there say that Matt and almost all of the team are headed to be with her at the hospital. PLEASE continue to pray for Angie, Matt, the entire Smith Team, their families and friends. An update from Competition Plus - ***UPDATE*** 11:49 PM, EST Saturday, September 30 - UPDATED: A spokesperson for Matt Smith Racing has confirmed Angie suffered two broken feet and extensive road rash as a result of her crash Saturday afternoon. She is expected to meet with a skin graft surgeon on Sunday morning.

"They wanted to say thank you for all the messages and phone calls and we will give updates as they come. What's important is Angie is stable and going to be okay."

Last edited:
I have been at the track all day today at Gateway. Her spill looked bad from my vantage point.
It is true that all of the bikes affiliated with Matt Smith did pull out of Q2. At the time of this post, they have yet to return to the track and Pro Stock cars are pulling into the lanes.

Alan Reinhart did announce not long after the incident on the p.a. that she was conscious and responding. Nothing else has been announced publicly since that time as of yet

5 or 6 hours later and not a word from anyone that I can see and that's a bit disconcerting. No updates on her FB page; some people who were there said "nothing but confusion and silence" after the crash and that the team pulled out of qualifying which we already know. Pray that she's stable and fully recovers.

5 or 6 hours later and not a word from anyone that I can see and that's a bit disconcerting. No updates on her FB page; some people who were there said "nothing but confusion and silence" after the crash and that the team pulled out of qualifying which we already know. Pray that she's stable and fully recovers.
I’m hoping it’s like when Ryan Newman was injured in that massive crash, and you heard nothing (with all sorts saying “ well, HIPA laws…”) and then that beautiful photo of him walking out of the hospital holding his daughters hands.

Hoping for the best, and a speedy recovery. Met them both at Maplegrove and were very cordial and up front people.

I was packing for racing tomorrow so I didn’t get to hear/ see anything live. When I got to the hotel I was scrolling through FB and saw Comp + had a picture of Angie smiling with some fingers/hand wrapped up used in conjunction with the story on her accident. I was hoping that’s all it was??!!
B321FDD3-181B-44CE-AC42-FF7D4B1C4752.jpeg

I think that picture is from a few years ago when she smashed her finger working on the bike. I hope she is doing well.

I think that picture is from a few years ago when she smashed her finger working on the bike. I hope she is doing well.
Yeah, I think you are correct. I didn’t give it much thought at first. Saw the pic, saw she came off the bike, thought - OK, sucks but could be worse. Odd picture choice.

I’m hoping for the best.

The picture of her with her hand wrapped up is from is a relatively old picture. When I left the track around 7 PM local time, no one has said anything publicly and nobody was there from Matt Smith group that I saw.

I did hear some speculation about her condition while roaming the pits after qualifying was over, but I refuse to share what I heard and add to the speculation because I have no clue to the accuracy of what I heard.

Edit: I just looked (10:10 central time September 30) at her Facebook page.... A Sadie gave an update stating that Angie Smith has both of her feet broken and bad road rash. She will spend the at least tonight at the hospital and Angie has a skin graph surgery scheduled for tomorrow.

Last edited:
She has 2 broken feet amd some road rash,was posted on their fb page
Yes.

"Hey guys, it’s Sadie posting for Matt and Angie. They wanted to give everyone an update.
We don’t know everything but she has to stay tonight. She has two broken feet and very bad road rash. We will meet with the skin graft surgeon in the morning.
They wanted to say thank you for all the messages and phone calls and we will give updates as they come. What’s important right now is Angie is stable and going to be okay."

Bad news yet great news at the same time. Get well soon, Angie.

I’m hoping it’s like when Ryan Newman was injured in that massive crash, and you heard nothing (with all sorts saying “ well, HIPA laws…”) and then that beautiful photo of him walking out of the hospital holding his daughters hands.
Just remember ... When NHRA tells you that HIPAA prevents them from releasing medical updates, they are lying to you. HIPAA applies only to healthcare entities. If NHRA tells you they can release information, it means one of three things: 1) They don't know. 2) They do not want to tell you. 3) The driver and/or their family has asked them not to say anything.

If you are not involved in healthcare, HIPAA does not apply to you. But NHRA and others like to hide behind it when they don't want to provide an update.

I was packing for racing tomorrow so I didn’t get to hear/ see anything live. When I got to the hotel I was scrolling through FB and saw Comp + had a picture of Angie smiling with some fingers/hand wrapped up used in conjunction with the story on her accident. I was hoping that’s all it was??!! View attachment 13619
That's on me, I was away from the office, and looking for a picture and because my screen was smaller didn't notice the pic had chosen. Once I realized it, i changed out. So that one was one me.

Just remember ... When NHRA tells you that HIPAA prevents them from releasing medical updates, they are lying to you. HIPAA applies only to healthcare entities. If NHRA tells you they can release information, it means one of three things: 1) They don't know. 2) They do not want to tell you. 3) The driver and/or their family has asked them not to say anything.

If you are not involved in healthcare, HIPAA does not apply to you. But NHRA and others like to hide behind it when they don't want to provide an update.
Those HIIPA rules prevent the hospital from releasing information to anybody unless they have been given specific permission to do so.
So, if NHRA says they haven’t been told anything by the hospital, they are not lying.
Even if NHRA learned about the injuries, I wouldn’t expect them to release an update before the family or team has done so.

Those HIIPA rules prevent the hospital from releasing information to anybody unless they have been given specific permission to do so.
So, if NHRA says they haven’t been told anything by the hospital, they are not lying.
Even if NHRA learned about the injuries, I wouldn’t expect them to release an update before the family or team has done so.

Exactly.

I have been in the press room when NHRA said HIPAA prevented them from giving a medical update.

I have been in the press room when NHRA said HIPAA prevented them from giving a medical update.
That just means the hospital was not cleared to release information to the NHRA.
Or, maybe NHRA was cleared to learn of any updates, with the condition being they are not to release it to the media.
It's certainly nothing nefarious on NHRA's part.
The patient has total control of what can and cannot be released, and to whom it is permitted.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back