Only 20 PS cars at Brainerd??? (1 Viewer)

preacher

Nitro Member
Just a few years ago there was a minimum of 30 PS cars trying to qualify for the show at most events :(

Last edited:
Just a few years ago there was a minimum of 30 PS cars trying to qualify for the show at most events :(

There are a couple factors here;

1) The ulta-competitive nature of the class would be discouraging for bubble teams not assured of the performance necessary to qualify. With the high cost of travel these days, they're better off to stay home and work on their programs. With 16 cars within .06 this is easily the toughest class to become competitive in.

2) Brainerd has never been a big draw on the tour. There's just not the interest in going to Brainerd as there are with most other stops on the tour. Probably not a popular thought, but past fuel classes have been low there as well.

Two Good point's Johnny.... might I add a third....

EE made a great point... why show and try to be 16th on the grid??? It's not like you can even bust even for the weekend. If the NHRA is Truly Non-Profit, then after True Expensives, the track cut, every thing else SHOULD BE ROLLED BACK TO THE RACERS, including RUN MONEY.... Stop making all racers PAY an Entery FEE, NHRA should be Paying THEM for showing UP!!!!

That Inclues the SPORTSMAN CLASSES....

No Racers, No Race...

main reason is- $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ like gregg enders said, nowadays its $100,000 an event qualify or not. 2.5 a year to be a player, and this is pro stock not fuel. and with the lack of airtime and respect ( especially the airtime) the nhra and espn give pro stock, thae big sponsors wont be coming to pro stock anytime soon, its sad as hell :(

Have you guys ever been to Brainerd? The place is packed and I don't know of any teams that skip it. Maybe some of the smaller teams skip it but it's the same show as anywhere else.

The Biggest problem for Brainerd is it's just before Indy! Many teams mark that as a must run race, and as ex$pen$ive as it is....:rolleyes:

Maybe this is part of the reason racers skip Brainerd. Why the heck is this included in an NHRA National Event? :confused: :confused:

BRAINERD - Pro Stock Snowmobile Qualifying, Final Order

I'm sure some of the Pro Stock guys decided to skip Brainerd because they heard the sleds would be running!!:rolleyes: They must really hate snowmobiles.

Brainerd is in northern Minnesota where snowmobiles are very popular with the locals. Why are they part of a National event? I cant answer that but did you look at the ET's? It's not like they are slow..... Hell, they're faster than half of the sportsman cars on the property.

Last edited:
Two Good point's Johnny.... might I add a third....

EE made a great point... why show and try to be 16th on the grid??? It's not like you can even bust even for the weekend. If the NHRA is Truly Non-Profit, then after True Expensives, the track cut, every thing else SHOULD BE ROLLED BACK TO THE RACERS, including RUN MONEY.... Stop making all racers PAY an Entery FEE, NHRA should be Paying THEM for showing UP!!!!

That Inclues the SPORTSMAN CLASSES....

No Racers, No Race...

You're right Karl. Why compete for the opportunity to run the quickest car with lane choice? Why would you invest $100,000 for that opportunity? If the lanes are equal (which they seldom are) and if you cut a light, and if the #1 qualifier is snoozing, you might have an outside shot at winning. Why would you spend $100,000 for that scenario?

Your point about payouts is dead on. I'm amazed that these teams invest what they do to win the feable payouts at these events. For instance, Tony Stewart won far more $$$$ today than the entire payout for all classes at Brainerd. Jeff's point is right about sponsors...they certainly won't be flocking towards drag racing with the limited coverage they receive. Yesterday's qualifying show wasn't aired until 11:30 PM. That's a discrace! It's all about TV time and Pro Stock just doesn't get it on NHRA's 'pay-to-play' shows on ESPN.

If you think it's bad now, wait until the Countdown starts! We're fortunate that a few very sucessful people continue to race out of their pocket.
I'm not sure what the payout is for winning a PS Nationl Event is - used to be $25,000, but that is for the winner and doesn't come close to covering expenses.
I don't remember anyone bringing up the possibility of short fields during the countdown - could it happen?

My thought is since the hectic schedule the last few weeks, teams that are not going to make "PJ's Countdown" are staying home, getting their motors on the dyno, getting any other parts they need ordered and loading for bear when they get to Indy.

One sure fire way to salvage a bum season and woo sponsors is to show well at Indy.

Can someone tell me who didn't go to Brainerd?

EE - They're tired of not making the cut.
Rizzo - Never makes the cut.

Who else? I'm still trying to figure out how Brainerd itself is affecting the turnout? I'm also trying to figure out how someone out of the top 8 can tell their sponsor they've decided to skip other events.

I'm still trying to figure out how Brainerd itself is affecting the turnout?

Small market track, small turnouts by racers and spectators, and a destination track...it's not on the way to any other track and expensive to get to. With the addition (several years ago) of the Chicago track I've often wondered why NHRA continues holding a national event in Brainerd. A second, early season, event at Indy would be a far better choice for all concerned. NASCAR has multi race schedules at their high profile signature tracks, I can't imagine why NHRA wouldn't want a May race in Indy...

If they did, there would be a FULL field in all classes. That would be the answer to your question of how Brainerd is affecting the turnout. Sorry, but it's just not a top level draw.

But I've been there John. The place is packed. I've seen people outside the gates on Sunday begging for tickets. Last time I was there was in '04.

22 cars were on the entry list for braindead
28 cars are on the Reading list
And 33 for Indy

I'd be happy to see those numbers for T/F or F/C
instead of the, who's the "one" not going to make the T/F field-

Having the extra F/C teams this year has been a blast!!

I had asked my brother what the entry fee was for Top Fuel and he said they didn't have to pay one if you are in the top 10 (i think).

I feel for the sporstman racers. I costs a lot of money to have some fun.

I'm not sure how long it's been, maybe 10 years, but I remember Pro Stock consistently getting 30-40 teams to show up for qualifying. It didn't make sense to me, as even back then it was very expensive to run PS with not much chance of winning. Whatever the case, now it's a whole different arena, the dollar committment to set up a competitive team is staggering. And travel and personnel have gone up quite a bit. So I'm not surprised to see PS end up with it's core players who make every race and a few extras on top.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back