Once again, What about Dixon (1 Viewer)

It's likely that the Sheik wanted someone from Qatar (Al Balooshi) in one of his cars eventually, and with Del recently retired, maybe the Sheik wanted to clean the slate and start with 2 new drivers?

Balooshi isn't from Qatar, he's from the United Arab Emirates.

Larry Dixon is a likeable, talented and experienced Top Fuel pilot, but his absence will leave barely a ripple in the pond that is NHRA Championship Drag Racing.

Would I rather see him out there competing? Sure. But my decision to go to a drag race won't be influenced buy the fact that he is or isn't racing any more than it influenced my decision when Garlits or Muldowney or Snake or Beadle or Scelzi or Jungle or any other racer was racing.

What will influence my desire to spend my hard earned money will be NHRA's ability, or lack of ability, to put on a good, compeitive, fair and exciting show... regardless of who's driving.
Great post Gordon, and yes, I too would rather see him out there competing.

"I have no beef against either of the new Al Anabi drivers, but the new lineup doesn't appeal to me the way that the Dixon / Worsham combo did. Both were all-Americans with a rich NHRA heritage. Yet another great driver on the sidelines....bugger"

X-2

"I have no beef against either of the new Al Anabi drivers, but the new lineup doesn't appeal to me the way that the Dixon / Worsham combo did. Both were all-Americans with a rich NHRA heritage. Yet another great driver on the sidelines....bugger"......X-2

if memory is correct, del was asked to drive as his family team was at
it's end; no bridges were burned, del drove for 3 years, and gracefully
retired (at least in the media) to his next chapter on the tour. :)

larry, on the other hand, entered into al-anabi with the same sudden
surprise (as he negotiated an end to his contract with don) as when
he departed, and the silence is deafening. :confused:

two equally likeable guys - two very different approaches to their
former employee.

It's my understanding there was a disagreement related to who was responsible for what and which would be the primary team. Larry and Alan could find no middle ground and parted ways.

With Alan serving as a tuning consultant on several teams I can understand how his time with any one team would be limited.

This is not verified information and should be treated as a second hand rumor.

Let's just hope that everyone lands on their feet.
Eventhough some may feel that owning commercial real estate, primarily "race team shops" are a worthwhile investment, I can tell you that real estate is an unstable investment post 2008, and nothing is worse than singular purpose commercial real estate. I can tell you that empty seats in the stands eventually lead to empty race team shops. I think we all know what that "curve" on the graph looks like.
It seems like the real estate's good ole' draw of yester-year, the "hedge against inflation" has now flipped, giving local, county and State coffers hedges of their own with property taxes.

I wish Larry the best of luck, and like any business relationship, if he didn't burn bridges, then there will be relationships that he has made over the years that give him a chance with his short and long term goals. He seems like a very charismatic person with a lot to offer, if there is an opportunity. I don't know him and I've never met him, but he comes across on camera with positive energy.. He has been associated with the sports very best, and "if" those bridges are intact and strong, he has a chance.

Last edited:
Well said, George. Problem is, drag racing has a supply and demand issue. Over supply of qualified drivers, little demand for their services. Like I and many others have said, even if things were booming, there's likely to always be a list of qualified drivers who are without a seat. It's just a different animal now. Decades ago, if a guy wanted to drive a fuel car, he built one, often with one or two other guys. Those days are gone.

I hope it doesn't happen for many years, but in my mind, the driver out there who could make the best transition from the butterfly to the mike would be Jack Beckman.

Just announced during a Dixon interview at the BJ auction in Scottsdale. He intends on competing in 2012 - with his own race team.

I saw the same interview, and I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. He mentioned spending time with his family and working on his '66 Nova before he brought up the idea of running his own team. Looked like he was hanging out with Steve Johnson. I don't recall him saying he would race at Pomona, just that he would be there. I hope nothing but the best for LD, 3-Time Champ deserves it.

I didn't see the interview guys, so which is it: racing with his own team or spending time with the family and Nova?

Looks like at best, he will be out there part time this year and working on a full tour in 2013. Best of luck to him.

A pretty interesting piece. I did a job in 2010 where I was in Pristina, Kosovo for a month. The TV in my hotel only had 1 channel in English, and it was Al Jazeera. I was stunned by the content, I had only known Al Jazeera as it was portrayed in the American media, as the station where Bin Ladin released videos making fun of America and 9/11. Nothing could be further from the truth. By the end of my trip, I was genuinely sad to not be able to watch the network any longer. The concept of media and freedom of speech is very new in the Arab world, and it is evolving almost daily, and Al Jazeera is the tip of that spear. I do wish my cable operator would carry it.

/end threadjack

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back