Norwalk Qualifying Show (1 Viewer)

davey

Nitro Member
If NHRA can't get a handle on what to do about the Saturday qualifying problem they need to look at reformatting the television coverage. Why show just the fourth session when there was basically no action or drama? What a yawner. If the Friday night session is where all of the action is maybe they should show more of that. They can't be attracting many new fans with the current TV format. This is turning into what "Bump Day" at the Indy 500 turned into.

I hate to say this but I think the problem is the Sunday show. Why? it lasts 3 hours. They need to cut an hour off of it. I know that's an unpopular position to take but three hours of anything on TV is to much. It's also likely why the ratings aren't to good and probably why it often ends up on late at night.

For starters I'd reduce PS and PS Bike to just the semis and finals. Then I'd cut the comedy skits and the extra chitchat.

3 hrs is good if its 3 hrs of racing and tech talk, there is too many interviews about the same stuff. how many times today are we going to hear about and see dels explosion? the comedy skits has to stop. nhra needs to have a night session on saturdays too. watching saturdays qualifying on tv is erelevant, no cars move up and its all tire smoke. how about more tech talk and less stupid interviews please.

If NHRA can't get a handle on what to do about the Saturday qualifying problem they need to look at reformatting the television coverage. Why show just the fourth session when there was basically no action or drama? What a yawner. If the Friday night session is where all of the action is maybe they should show more of that. They can't be attracting many new fans with the current TV format. This is turning into what "Bump Day" at the Indy 500 turned into.

Dave, you bring up several good points. If their focus is going to be on how qualifying ended, then they need to stage the fourth session where it can compete with Friday night's session....or just move all qualifying to the heat of the day.

From a broadcaster's standpoint, I see the problem as the entire package isn't top shelf stuff for TV. Because of the format that NHRA uses, what we see on TV is only a recap of what happened. TNN tried handling some races LIVE, but the Top Fuel and Funny Car oil downs killed that. They currently do a good job at trying to build drama, but they're not fooling anyone. Those of us that are interested in the results already know what they are. It's just not a good TV product and can't be with the daily run schedule as it is. The only solution is to make eliminations a good TV package is to make it a 3-hour package that the competitors run back to back. I realize that would rock everyone's world, but that's the only way the general public will really give a hoot about our sport on TV. Until then, it's a staged production that airs in secondary time slots.

For starters I'd reduce PS and PS Bike to just the semis and finals. Then I'd cut the comedy skits and the extra chitchat.

Paul you usually make sense, but cutting PS and PSB, will leave us with 2.5 hr of TF and FC now I would think that would get boring.. at least in the PS & PSB you "DON'T know who is gonna win until they cross the finish line.. i.e. they both make FULL runs 99% of the time...

Don't get me wrong I love the TF and FC but sure love those PS cars... Personally I'd love to see some Comp.. buy I'd bet my house 50% of the keyboard racers here do not understand index racing, getting hit by .05 for the next round, or running quicker than the # on the board and NOT losing by a breakout..

And if you took the casual DR fan I'd bet 75-80 % don't understand comp rules.. :( but thats their problem, & I get more room to stretch out with a good view as most are at the hot dog stands.. :)

Last edited:
If their focus is going to be on how qualifying ended, then they need to stage the fourth session where it can compete with Friday night's session.

Absolutely, Johnny!

This current format it pathetic at best. It's bad enough that in most cases they get their best shot to get in the field before they have any real-time usable data.........I never understood that to start with. If you're going to give them killer conditions, make it the last session when they've had a couple of laps to get a feel for what the track is going to give them that weekend.

At least it would make the Saturday night qualifying show worth watching.

Sean D

I went to Saturday qualifying at Joliet this year. It was worst day of "racing" I have ever seen. Also, the first time I have ever complained about being at a race track. I would have rather been out riding my Harley. Thank goodness my tickets were free.

Back to the TV deal, though. The IRL finally changed the Indy 500 qualifying format this year to inject a little life in it. Guess what, it worked. There was a lot more interest. NHRA needs to either switch to a Saturday twilight session or run them all in the heat.

Personally I'd love to see some Comp.. buy I'd bet my house 50% of the keyboard racers here do not understand index racing, getting hit by .05 for the next round, or running quicker than the # on the board and NOT losing by a breakout..

I'll drink to that :D!

3 hrs is good if its 3 hrs of racing and tech talk, there is too many interviews about the same stuff. how many times today are we going to hear about and see dels explosion? the comedy skits has to stop. nhra needs to have a night session on saturdays too. watching saturdays qualifying on tv is erelevant, no cars move up and its all tire smoke. how about more tech talk and less stupid interviews please.

I totally agree.

...They can't be attracting many new fans with the current TV format...

While the total number of viewers differs by an order of magnitude, it's interesting to note that NHRA viewership is increasing (though slowly) while the 800 pound gorilla of NASCAR is showing a decrease approaching 10% in the last three years.

The one thing that is really apparent from looking at the NASCAR numbers is the huge difference in viewership between different channels. Job #1 for NHRA marketing should be a no-holds-barred push to move to more accesible and highly watched channels.

We used to be on network TV. I wonder if every 5th race (for example) on one of the majors would not be superior to every race on a second tier cable channel especially since the net viewers would be about the same. Plus, I have to believe you're going to get many more new eyes on a network than the current core group of dedicated fans who will search out the broadcast.

Maybe it's just a indication of a soft St. Louis TV market, but when I see infomercials airing on mid-afternoon Saturdays on two of the national channels, I wonder why we're still on the Deuce.

Maybe I'm on the wrong line of thought here, but I would like to see the qualifying position set by the average of all 4 runs. All the teams would need to make all 4 rounds, there would be pedal fests in the heat of the day instead of idling from the 60'. Then give additional points to the fastest qualifying lap of the weekend.

Problem is like what happened to Worsham yesterday. He couldn't make the last session. Also, many independants can't afford to make all four runs.

Didn't NHRA move up the PS qualifying on Friday nights to keep it similar to Saturday conditions?
Most of us remember that PS had the exact same issue a few years back. I think what your seeing now is Fuel cars can be a lot easier to tune for the cool, tight tracks and everyone is getting smarter with their tuneups. The sport has never seen the fuel classes as tight as they have been this year and its starting to mimmick PS from years past.....like others have said, either add another Saturday night session or move Fridays to the afternoon.

Problem is like what happened to Worsham yesterday. He couldn't make the last session. Also, many independants can't afford to make all four runs.

My personal opinion is...

They are called Professionals. There are plenty of people paying good money to see qualifying and cars going down the track. This crap about the low buck teams not being able to afford to make all 4 runs is B.S. If you can't make all four runs then you shouldn't consider yourself a professional. You don't pay an entry fee and your being PAID to put on a show to the paying public. Unfortunately this ain't the 70's and 80's anymore. NHRA is big business and they need to step up. You can't compete racing out of a Dually and a gooseneck trailer anymore.

They are called Professionals. There are plenty of people paying good money to see qualifying and cars going down the track. This crap about the low buck teams not being able to afford to make all 4 runs is B.S. If you can't make all four runs then you shouldn't consider yourself a professional. You don't pay an entry fee and your being PAID to put on a show to the paying public. Unfortunately this ain't the 70's and 80's anymore. NHRA is big business and they need to step up. You can't compete racing out of a Dually and a gooseneck trailer anymore.

Then I guess eventually you will really like the eight car fields that consist of two multi-car teams. I respect your opinion, I just don't agree with it.

Maybe you should sell your comp car and barbecue grill. Buy a nitro car and show the underfunded teams how it's done.

Maybe you should sell your comp car and barbecue grill. Buy a nitro car and show the underfunded teams how it's done.

No way. I can't afford to run a nitro car and neither do I pretend to. If I am a paying spectator I expect to see a show which includes cars going down the track not some guy who makes one banzai run on friday to get in the show, sits out the rest of qualifying and then goes up there and blows the tires off at the hit to just idle down the track and collect 1st round money.
If I couldn't afford to run a particular class I think I would rethink my priorities and maybe drop down a class. AGAIN.. this is just my personal opinion. You guys knock yourself's out having fun and spending boatloads of money. I can't afford to.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back