NHRA: Friday Night Pro Qualifying? (1 Viewer)

DG

Nitro Member
Looks like NHRA has created their own monster!

The Friday night Pro qualifying makes for big numbers and a lot of extra fans at the track on Friday afternoon...

BUT

With the track temperatures on Saturday always a challenge after the beginning of June, we basically now have "one shot qualifying" for the Pros.

I believe that the Saturday ESPN2 TV show is keeping NHRA from having a Saturday night qualifying session, as in many cases, they would have to cover a lot of it live and still have a significant chance of not getting all of the classes finished, if there were significant delays.

What do you think NHRA will do [if anything]:
1. Take a chance on TV coverage and run a Saturday night session?
2. Drop the Friday night Pro session and finish Round 2 in the afternoon, like they do on Saturday?
3. YOUR IDEAS?:confused:

Graham was his usual very vague self on what's likely to happen...

I don't think the racers will want a Sat. night session unless it's a Night race! But your right, Pro qualifying is becoming a one shot affair in the Warmer months. They had talked about making Denver a night race for years, but it hasn't happened obviously. Sure beats the 100 degree temps that the fans have been slammed with for the past 2-3 years!

But to answer your original question, I doubt NHRA will allow a second Pro session what's so ever for an 11 AM sunday start!

I think the Friday night session has to do with attendance!
A lot of people don't take the Friday off most take a half day and attend in the afternoon unless you’re like our die hard fans that look at it as 3 day weekend vacation like me! ;)

It sure would not be fair to the low buck teams to not be able to gather data for a daytime tune up for Sunday.
Really not fair to the fans to watch a bunch of smoke on Sunday either.
If all racing was moved to late including Sunday after June then it would be better in my opinion.

A ways back, there was a Saturday night session, but the PRO racers asked for an earlier ending on Saturday so the crews could get a good rest for the early Sunday start. If I remember correctly, there also was a Thursay pro session at tracks that could'nt run at night because of lighting concerns.

I know at some tracks like E-Town, there is a strict 10 pm curfew, which could end a Pro session before all cars could run. This would cause a heck of a problem if the curfew caused a non-qualified car to miss a last shot on Saturday night.

From a fans view, I noticed the attendence really picks up later in the afternoon on Friday as alot of people leave work early to make the Pro sessions.

Heck, nowadays (as we've seen several examples just this season, and this very weekend) in the hot months from May through September, Friday night can be a drivers' one and only chance to qualify in good conditions. It's getting to be no different than if we were to get rain all day Saturday. Sometimes Friday night is alot more important than the drivers admit.

all teams have the same conditions. is anyone other than me getting sick of the whining? I mean if they take away the night session, what will they're excuse be then when they miss they show?

saturday is important to run during race conditions. friday night is big numbers time. go hard or go home.

i say make all the event sqaure in qualifying times, fri and saturday sessions should be @ 4 and again 6:30 or something like that. saturday night qualifying would be great for the teams , if a 10 dollar part breaks on friday night you dont make it in, thats as nuts as the best and fastest car not winning the championship- oops wait thatwill happen too now with the new countdown :D seriuosly these sponsors dont want to see thier car not making it in, there needs to be 2 night qual sessions. just my .02 cents.

Why not go back to Thursday qualifying? Have Thurs. and Fri. slots at night and you get 2 shots at it.

I say run a Saturday morning nitro session. Cool weather and track, and it'll get the fans back to the track earlier, sell more greasy burgers and t-shirts. Now you can take this as a serious suggestion, or maybe tongue in cheek. Whatever. The situation right now is very "edgy", and that's how I like my drag racing, and my message boards.

how bout making the qualifying time be an average of 4 runs.
now THAT would be interesting. imagine the math mike dunn would be doing in the booth saturday afternoon. :)
can mike do math? new math? old math? lol.

how bout making the qualifying time be an average of 4 runs.
now THAT would be interesting. imagine the math mike dunn would be doing in the booth Saturday afternoon. :)
can mike do math? new math? old math? lol.

I don't know if you are serious or j/k but I don't think that would work.. example lets Say a low $$ team is IN and don't want to make a run what happens do they get an average of 3 runs... also it could get dangerous.... say you had 3 good runs, and were in at # 15 or # 16 .. now your making your 4th qualifying run and start to get out of shape... if you let off (The right thing to do) you'd get a slow time and get bumped, so you "might" stay in it to try to salvage a "BAD" run to make the field....with a chance of tagging the wall etc..

I think having an "Average" of 4 runs would force drivers to take chances, and force low $$ teams to MAKE 4 runs or risk not making the field...?

I say run a Saturday morning nitro session. Cool weather and track, and it'll get the fans back to the track earlier, sell more greasy burgers and t-shirts. Now you can take this as a serious suggestion, or maybe tongue in cheek. Whatever. The situation right now is very "edgy", and that's how I like my drag racing, and my message boards.

What do you consider early? Many tracks have curfews that you can't fire any engines before a certain time. If you don't start until 10, you still will be running in the heat of the day....

The average could be the best 3 of the 4 runs, that would help with the temptation to stay in a bad run. Also would make Frida night numbers slightly less important.

What gets me is they've run this qualifying format since the Early 90's when they added the Fri. Night session. And the Summer races have always been in 90 degree heat! Why is it such a big deal now?? :rolleyes:

Being that HD wants to take the NHRA Drag Racing to the "next level," another night time session is the only answer. The fans want night sessions with the header flames and it comes across impressively on TV which is what the sponsors want to see. The racers may not like it, but the reality is that it is the fans and sponsors that need to be pleased so the answer is obvious. Also, if they ever get on a network that wants them, a Saturday night session, with bumping, could make for some exciting live TV. That creates more viewers, which brings more sponsor dollars.

i've always thought an average time of multiple runs would work too,
but less funded teams sometimes can not make all the sessions.
would be tricky to implement.
another thought is......if teams are punished for oiling the track
(points and cash), why can't there be a reward if a team makes
flawless runs in all qualifying sessions?
no tire smoke, no major engine damage, engine under power for full 1/4 mile.

What do you consider early? Many tracks have curfews that you can't fire any engines before a certain time. If you don't start until 10, you still will be running in the heat of the day....

Ahhhhhhh Chreryl, I guess you took me seriously. Oh well, at least we agree on chocolate.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back