NHRA Announces 4-wide to return to Charlotte in 2011 (1 Viewer)

I was fortunate to catch the final few minutes of the PC in the Media room and I'll tell you something, Compton OWNED that PC. He came out and was FIRM about what NHRA's stance would be.

Part of me is upset that PRO could not 'get their way but another part of me say's KUDOS for NHRA for looking at the big picture here. If PRO wants to make a stance on something, there is a right way of handling it, and a WRONG way of handling it. I think all parties involved learned a valuable lesson.....

I can't help but wonder, if the internet had been around when the flag man was replaced by the christmas tree; would the reaction be like it is now with the 4 wide?

I can't figure Lucas out, for someone that is so against running 4 wide, why did he participate in the exhibition pass last fall?

I've kept out of this argument, sat back and enjoyed all the speculation and ranting, and no small amount of BS. I was unable to attend the 4-wides this year. Now perhaps I have a 2nd chance. Not sure whether or not I'll like it, but I do like that I'll maybe get the opportunity to see it next spring.

Hey Zap, shall a couple of "broken-hearted" old men give it a go in 2011?

Well, if this doesn't put a complete end to the "collective bargaining" power of PRO, I don't know what will? Face it, racers, you have been broken! You all have absolutely no power to influence the entities that you work for! Except to quit. That's all you guys got! Enjoy it. Welcome to the current state of working life in America!

NHRA/Bruton essentially turned over a PRO vote of 60-3 against 4 wide into a unanimous PRO vote in favor of 4 wide!

The only powerful group left that I see involved with this decision is the paying spectators themselves. And the results of that vote could take a few years to even determine!

The only other possibility to "kill" 4 wide nitro is injuries or deaths on the track obviously attributable to the four wide format.

So now racers are "forced" to compete in a race they feel is less safe than the other races they participate in. Does anyone else see an analogy between PRO racers and the dead miners from the early April Massey Coal Mine Disaster? Or the feelings of Darrell Russell in the months preceding his on track death?

-90% jimmy

The only thing that will stop the 4-wide circus is for the fans to turn off the TVs and stay away from the track. If attendance thru the spectator gate is about 10 or 12 total on Friday you can bet Bruton Smith would shut down 4-wide before the gate opened on Sunday.

I totally agree, it's all about $

I can't figure Lucas out, for someone that is so against running 4 wide, why did he participate in the exhibition pass last fall?

It's all about the sponsors. I guarantee that if they decide that they're not getting enough exposure that 4 wide will go away.

As for it being just as safe, the 1st time someone climbs the wall into the other lane, like antron in phoenix, they'll probably put a stop to it. Or even just body parts if someone grenades and peices come down in the other lanes. Doesn't matter how many safety crews you have, they can't stop it from happening.

My bet is they do it one more year + stop. Bruton was painted into a corner-he spent the dough-he forced it on NHRA-all the egg is on his face. He'd have to put his ego aside and say "oops-it was a bad idea"-not very likely. If the numbers are down next year he'll have a legitimate reason to stop it. I'd also bet that Vegas stays 2 lanes-just from a business stand point. The numbers didn't go way up at Charolette because of 4 wide-and once the novelty wears off it will just be another race-why invest millions with no more return? And besides-would you rather promote the ONLY 4 wide race-or one of two 4 wide races?

PS-thumbs up from me also to Morgan Lucas! :)

My bet is they do it one more year + stop. Bruton was painted into a corner-he spent the dough-he forced it on NHRA-all the egg is on his face. He'd have to put his ego aside and say "oops-it was a bad idea"-not very likely. If the numbers are down next year he'll have a legitimate reason to stop it. I'd also bet that Vegas stays 2 lanes-just from a business stand point. The numbers didn't go way up at Charolette because of 4 wide-and once the novelty wears off it will just be another race-why invest millions with no more return? And besides-would you rather promote the ONLY 4 wide race-or one of two 4 wide races?

PS-thumbs up from me also to Morgan Lucas! :)

Big thumbs up to Morgan...he was the only PRO racer interviewed that didn't backpedal and kneel down and kiss Bruton Smith's ass on national TV

I think Morgan is a good driver, and probably a fine person too.

That said, he CAN say what he thinks, who's gonna' fire him?

His owner?

His sponsor?

Sorry, I was listening to the same broadcast as everyone, and the only PRO board member who has/had been entirely honest the whole time has been Warren.

He didn't 'vote against it before he voted for it'.:cool:

He said "Cooler heads prevailed"

And twenty somethings aren't exactly known for "cooler heads"........

REX

I liked what I saw during the 4 wide race, so I am happy 4 wide is coming back and I am planning on supporting the event by attending next year. I can only hope the racing is as good as it was this year.

I think Warren voted for it because it gives a person who isn't performing that well a chance to go on to the next round! ;)

I liked what I saw during the 4 wide race, so I am happy 4 wide is coming back and I am planning on supporting the event by attending next year. I can only hope the racing is as good as it was this year.

To be honest, After attending National Events with enthusiasm since 1983 (Pomona 1), many times up to 3-4 per year, the package today is a little tired.

E-Town '08 (for an obvious reason) was the last I have attended.

I have begun plans for next years 4-wide, as far as attending.

Hopefully, the weather will cooperate:rolleyes:

REX

NHRA says there WILL be a 4-wide race next year. That doesn't mean the racers will attend. They may all get together and not make that race just to show the NHRA that they are the reason the NHRA even exists at the level it does. This is not to take away from the sportsman racers but it is the Pro racers that command the TV audience. If they all stay away from that race, the points will not be affected.

Now it's up to the racers.

NHRA says there WILL be a 4-wide race next year. That doesn't mean the racers will attend. They may all get together and not make that race just to show the NHRA that they are the reason the NHRA even exists at the level it does. This is not to take away from the sportsman racers but it is the Pro racers that command the TV audience. If they all stay away from that race, the points will not be affected.

Now it's up to the racers.

They spoke yesterday.

In print and on TV.

They will be there.

REX

While watching the qualifying show last night, I was bouncing over to SPEED which was running an old documentary on Big Bill France. It went into great detail on the 2 different attempts to orginize the NASCAR drivers and how Big Bill handled it.

He handled it with an iron fist, and a "I need no input from anyone" approach. His position was that any driver that wanted to join the group was open to do so...just don't think you would be racing in his series or at his tracks. The 2 heads of the group were Herb Thomas and Fonty Flock...both were banned from NASCAR for life.

I'll bet Mr. Compton has read the book, watched the documentary and learned the lesson well.

For you guys who feel any of the top 12 teams can just sit out the next 4-wide event, think again. Do you really believe that any of them will pass tech at the following race?
Vengence is mine, sayeth Mr. Compton!

Last edited:
I was fortunate to catch the final few minutes of the PC in the Media room and I'll tell you something, Compton OWNED that PC. He came out and was FIRM about what NHRA's stance would be.

Part of me is upset that PRO could not 'get their way but another part of me say's KUDOS for NHRA for looking at the big picture here. If PRO wants to make a stance on something, there is a right way of handling it, and a WRONG way of handling it. I think all parties involved learned a valuable lesson.....

I agree the drivers may not have handled it the best way possible but lets be honest short of actually not showing up NHRA has proven time and time again that they will do whatever they want regardless of what drivers, owners or fans may think or want

NHRA has proven time and time again that they will do whatever they want regardless of what drivers, owners or fans may think or want

Well, it is their sandbox, they can do whatever they want. The NHRA has done a pretty good job to get the sport to where it is today, so I have some faith they will handle today's issue appropriately.

I'll bet Mr. Compton has read the book, watched the documentary and learned the lesson well.

For you guys who feel any of the top 12 teams can just sit out the next 4-wide event, think again. Do you really believe that any of them will pass tech at the following race?
Vengence is mine, sayeth Mr. Compton!

If he doesn't want to get hit with a lawsuite the same day!
If the car passed tech the race before and all of a sudden that exact same car goes through tech and doesn't pass the race after! :rolleyes:
pretty obvious if you ask me......;)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back