NHRA Announces 4-wide to return to Charlotte in 2011 (1 Viewer)

Well, it is their sandbox, they can do whatever they want. The NHRA has done a pretty good job to get the sport to where it is today, so I have some faith they will handle today's issue appropriately.

NHRA could have a bigger problem on their hands if the EPA has it's way then
4 wide would be a distant and very brief memory! :eek:

While watching the qualifying show last night, I was bouncing over to SPEED which was running an old documentary on Big Bill France. It went into great detail on the 2 different attempts to orginize the NASCAR drivers and how Big Bill handled it.

He handled it with an iron fist, and a "I need no input from anyone" approach. His position was that any driver that wanted to join the group was open to do so...just don't think you would be racing in his series or at his tracks. The 2 heads of the group were Herb Thomas and Fonty Flock...both were banned from NASCAR for life.

I'll bet Mr. Compton has read the book, watched the documentary and learned the lesson well.

For you guys who feel any of the top 12 teams can just sit out the next 4-wide event, think again. Do you really believe that any of them will pass tech at the following race?
Vengence is mine, sayeth Mr. Compton!

I thought it was Curtis Turner and Tim Flock in the first attempt an Richard Petty in the second one...but anyway....

NASCARs last attempt to better their sport to make everything more even for a better show an the betterment of the sport was the COT... after a year of being inplace tv ratings took a dump and events begin to show signs of lower attendance.... then the economy dumped... for the last year NASCAR has done everythign thay can to redirect the direction they put in place... they finialy had to admit the car was part of the problem and are changing it now....

NASCAR did alot of change to bring in new fans... at the same time the alienated the long term fans.... ran them off and the new fans got bored after the new wore off... Lets just hope this doesn't happen here....

Billy..

PS side note.. after Tim Flock was banned for life from racing with NASCAR he went to work for Bruton at CMS....lol...

I think Morgan is a good driver, and probably a fine person too.

That said, he CAN say what he thinks, who's gonna' fire him?

His owner?

His sponsor?

Sorry, I was listening to the same broadcast as everyone, and the only PRO board member who has/had been entirely honest the whole time has been Warren.

He didn't 'vote against it before he voted for it'.:cool:

He said "Cooler heads prevailed"

And twenty somethings aren't exactly known for "cooler heads"........

REX

right cuz Warren is known for always keeping a cool head:rolleyes:. Don't discount the Morgan's opinion just becuase of his age.

NASCAR did alot of change to bring in new fans... at the same time the alienated the long term fans.... ran them off and the new fans got bored after the new wore off... Lets just hope this doesn't happen here....

The NHL went through the same mistake as well. Its good to try new things the help draw in more fans, I get that. Every sport evolves in some way and it needs to. But to just change for the sake of change and at the expense of chasing off those who helped get you to the place that you are???

They are still on a major TV netowrk because they pay for the time. Not because of the changes they have made as they keep leading to lower numbers.

Reminds me of the average Joe that all of a sudden strikes it big in the movies then dumps his wife of 20 years. Its how I feel NHRA treats the fans any more. By fans I mean the ones who actually go to races, watch them on tv and buy the products of companies that support our sport. Not the mythical next level fan that they keep chasing but never seem to find.

right cuz Warren is known for always keeping a cool head:rolleyes:. Don't discount the Morgan's opinion just becuase of his age.

Didn't say Warren said HE had the cooler head, Warren said, "cooler heads prevailed", didn't see where he even remotely implied his was the "cooler head":rolleyes: Matter of fact, he insinuated he didn't care for the format. he said it "didn't matter".

And I didn't "Discount the Morgan's (reminds me of seinfelds "the Drake":D) opinion JUST because of his age".

I also didn't discount it entirely.

If I discounted it, it is because he owns his own team, with Dad's $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and heavy involvement with NHRA.

surprising thing is although Charlotte Lucas had much to say, heavy hitter Pop's (with respect) Forrest has been relatively quiet. Of course that is subject to change (notice how I cover my azz PJ ;) )

REX

Tim, you're probably right on the names. Flicking back and forth last night, i didn't realize I would be posting today. Chalk it up to an Old Fart's poor memory!

Didn't say Warren said HE had the cooler head, Warren said, "cooler heads prevailed", didn't see where he even remotely implied his was the "cooler head":rolleyes: Matter of fact, he insinuated he didn't care for the format. he said it "didn't matter".

And I didn't "Discount the Morgan's (reminds me of seinfelds "the Drake":D) opinion JUST because of his age".

I also didn't discount it entirely.

If I discounted it, it is because he owns his own team, with Dad's $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and heavy involvement with NHRA.

surprising thing is although Charlotte Lucas had much to say, heavy hitter Pop's (with respect) Forrest has been relatively quiet. Of course that is subject to change (notice how I cover my azz PJ ;) )

REX

He also has a sponsor to answer to as well, granted manybe not in the same situation as other drivers or owners

I missed it, what has Charlotte said?

Compton and a few other places seem to point out that the 4 wide supposedly got outside media coverage.

I feel like the Lindsey Lohan or Anna Nicole Smith of sports. We only get media for blowing up, dying or stupid controversies. The run by Tony a few years ago was the last time I can remember making positive news.
Just cuz someone is talkin about you doesn't mean its good. When WJ points out its been 2-1 negative but Compton points out the attention well I guess our standards need to be set higher as to what type of attention is generated

4-WIDE FROM THE SPONSOR'S VIEWPOINT

Lets just say, she AIN'T a fan of 4-wide;)

REX

Ya think....lol...

I think if they can get the tv coverage to a point to where sponsors get at least some tv time things will quiet down behind the sceens....

Morgan did make a great point the other day on how the 4-wide deal cut down on the potential tv time on the line during staging... and some teams contracts i bet are based on tv time....viewed logos and/or mentions..

Billy

Ya think....lol...

I think if they can get the tv coverage to a point to where sponsors get at least some tv time things will quiet down behind the sceens....

Morgan did make a great point the other day on how the 4-wide deal cut down on the potential tv time on the line during staging... and some teams contracts i bet are based on tv time....viewed logos and/or mentions..

Billy

Maybe I'm crazy (nevermind:eek:), but I noticed some more prominent shots by the ESPN camera crew of Sponsor logos, particularly on the Pro Stockers.

I had not begun viewing the telecast with the intention of looking for that, so maybe there was a slight attempt at practicing a little different format for the broadcast.

then again, it could have been subliminal on my part.:confused:

who knows for sure?

REX

I think they have been missing the boat on highlighting sponsor logos for a long time. NHRA pays the bill..........make it a priority!!! :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back