New NHRA Video Game (2 Viewers)

BaldyLochs

Nitro Member
Just wondering - Is there anything new in development for Playstation, Xbox, etc? Kinect is the hottest thing going right now; which I could envision being incorporated to perhaps a Pro Stock Bike simulation..... maybe. But for that platform to be used for a race car driving simulation.... not too much comes to mind.

I think the NHRA game peaked with NHRA Main Event - for the PC. I hooked in a steering wheel and pedals. I tried it on the PS2 once and quit because it was a joke playing with a controller.

Don't know why they haven't updated the MS Flight Simulator either.. even though I don't have the time for that anymore... but before I had a kid those were the only two games I'd ever play.

Just wondering - Is there anything new in development for Playstation, Xbox, etc? Kinect is the hottest thing going right now; which I could envision being incorporated to perhaps a Pro Stock Bike simulation..... maybe. But for that platform to be used for a race car driving simulation.... not too much comes to mind.

I think the problem with a drag racing game is you have to have a game with some type of depth. Especially with games like Gran Turismo 5 out on the shelves. I'm not sure if that is possible with today's cars and tracks.

I'd like to see a drag racing game like Grand Prix Legends, then you might have some hope.

Maybe if we bugged the people at iRacing enough they would have drag racing to that deal... its awesome for oval and road racing....

Billy

Sounds like a personal issue. It was quite easy for me. Also, I believe there was a option so you could adjust steering sensitivity.

Not a control issue, I just don't like to play driving games with a keypad - or PS controller, gotta be a wheel. Similar to you gotta have a joystick for a flight sim game.

Not a control issue, I just don't like to play driving games with a keypad - or PS controller, gotta be a wheel. Similar to you gotta have a joystick for a flight sim game.

Hey whatever makes you happy, to me a wheel would be a bit of overkill for the NHRA PS2 game. Now if you were trying to hustle a car around the Nürburgring on Gran Turismo, then I could see wanting a wheel.

Until they make a butterfly steering wheel with chute levers and a fuel shutoff, the remote will do just fine

I'd be interested to know, from Mike and T especially, how the games work based on your applicable knowledge of real-world stuff. I've played the game a few times, but I don't know what the hell to adjust and how much based on track/weather conditions. You guys obviously know the terminoligy/nomenclature, so does it apply?

Seems like I remember an interview some time ago with Greg Anderson where he said he would play with his kids and his kids would kick his rear-end regularly, so I always wondered about the accuracy of all the adjustments you could make in the game.

Sean D

Well, I am not a traditional "gamer" whatsoever. To be honest, I bought the console & the Countdown game ONLY because it looked cool, and it was about NHRA drag racing. They did a pretty good job with it, all in all; but it's not like I have a bookshelf filled with other games to compare it to. Oh wait; I also bought Monster Jam Monster truck racing.... and the NHRA game has much better sounds and engine graphics. I also have Jaws - you get to be the shark & eat people.... very cool.
But, another thing I think comes into play, is the drivers & sponsors. Hillary Will, Scott Kalitta, Angelle Sampey and several others are in that last Pl;ay Station game, with some completley different sponsors for other drivers as well. And poor Antron is still driving the US Army PSB LOL. So I wonder if the ever-changing names & sponsor logos also put a damper on the efforts to create a new game, in a sport with limited following, compared to others??

The fiasco is the fact that the last 2 or 3 games released with the NHRA name were advertised to be online play and both never got it... Also every NHRA game on a console was directly ported from its pc counterpart... The games were never meant to be played on a console when being made.

I'd be interested to know, from Mike and T especially, how the games work based on your applicable knowledge of real-world stuff. I've played the game a few times, but I don't know what the hell to adjust and how much based on track/weather conditions. You guys obviously know the terminoligy/nomenclature, so does it apply?

Seems like I remember an interview some time ago with Greg Anderson where he said he would play with his kids and his kids would kick his rear-end regularly, so I always wondered about the accuracy of all the adjustments you could make in the game.

Sean D
Yeah to start the game I did some things that we do with our car. So the "concept" of how to tune the cars was good. To make the car go low 4.50's, I puffed the deal up until it would smoke the tires or blow up. Then I took some clutch off and slowed the blower down and it ran like 4.51 at 328mph. After that I would make small changes to the fuel volume and primary weight to make the car go down the track.

Anyone remember that old drag game that came out for the PC around 1998 called "Burnout"? Horrible graphics, sound, and control.. but I still played it for hours just because it was the closest thing that I could get to drag racing. They had a wide variety of combinations though with cars, engines etc.. NHRA Main event was and still is the greatest Nitro drag game ever IMO, might be cool though to include sportsman classes all the way through the ranks in that game. How fun would it be if they got the sound right to run a blown alcohol FC down the track?

Or maybe us who aren't a big fan of 9.90 cars at the track would get a taste of why the drivers of those cars love it so much. Adjusting throttle stops and what not.

If they invested the time into that game it would be awesome, unfortunatly I bet theres only a small market for this game though so what company would take on that challenege to produce such a game?

Yeah to start the game I did some things that we do with our car. So the "concept" of how to tune the cars was good. To make the car go low 4.50's, I puffed the deal up until it would smoke the tires or blow up. Then I took some clutch off and slowed the blower down and it ran like 4.51 at 328mph. After that I would make small changes to the fuel volume and primary weight to make the car go down the track.

T.......Once I got the timers figured out, I pretty much tune with the clutch and blower. I usually run mid to high 50's on the good tracks and on the not so good tracks...I just take blower and clutch away from it and run low to mid 60's and that is a tenth to a tenth and a half on the rest of the field. (nightime runs excluded)

Mitch

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back