New Drag Strip In Lake Havasu, Az (1 Viewer)

I get what Joe is saying (I think). Joe is saying he hopes it is not like Banning -or- that track in Texas that closed after a year or two (Dallas Raceway). Neither scenario does drag racing any good, a sign in the desert for years or a track that fails after it opens before it can really get a good program off the ground. At least I think that is what Joe is saying ... And I would tend to agree. Getting the track open is only half the battle, keeping it open is a whole 'nother set of issues. Let's hope Lake Havasu gets built (better than Banning did) and can stay open for a long time (better than Dallas Raceway did).

More than likely, California red tape along with sketchy investors caused the demise of Drag City. While I can't speak for Dallas, there's a plethora of racers here in the tri-state area (Kingman, Lake Havasu & Bullhead City) to keep the new Havasu strip busy. I'm certain it won't run for the entire year due to extreme heat in the summer. We lost Speedworld (north of Phoenix) last year that left many racers craving for a new venue. Like Chris said, hope it has staying power.

I agree with Chris, the track in Dallas was a dream come true for that individual. He got mixed up with people that had no clue on how to operate a track and subsequently killed it. From what I understand everything is still there and some day will get a chance to operate again.

Dallas Raceway opened in 2009 and hosted an IHRA national event that year. It was sold and closed January 2014. It was a really nice track! I don't see it being a drag strip again unless the Motorplex were to close. The property has already been re-purposed. It could have been bought for much less than it cost to build, but nobody stepped up to do it. Converting it back into a drag strip any time soon would still cost more money than buying it outright would have.

A brand new, 1000ft track wouldn't be a horrible thing. Considering how many tracks are fighting for survival, I can't see how there's anything negative about this happening.

Better than an 1/8 mile strip any day. With a 1000 ft track, I won't run out of gear in the traps *lol*

If I was building a new race track it would be 1000'. Common sense tells you that in another 2 oe 3 years all classes at nat'l events will run 1000' so what's the need for a 1/4 mile track? Like it or not that's the future.

It is just 320ft I would build it 1/4 mile for Sportsman category since they are still run that index and if NHRA did make a change if would be added shut down distance. Some fuel teams still run out 1/4 mile at times.

Mr. Waters, why cut yourself short? A national event comes around once a year if in fact that you get a NHRA national event. The rest of the drag racing world races either 1/8th or 1/4 mile.

Don't know if it is a property issue or not. Remember new tracks being built need 2 feet of runoff for every 1 foot of race surface. Wonder if the insurance company will make an exception if there is an uphill runoff.

Looking at their web site I noticed one thing, it talks about the elevation, which is good, but they say no other track comes close. Kind of a half truth. Maybe no other track comes close in this area, but back east a lot of tracks are closer to sea level. Capital Raceway where I grew up racing is at 41 feet! The the one plus of the track in Havasu is the better performance we'd see vs running elsewhere, like here in Phoenix. But snce most of us run 1/4 mile cars, not nitro cars, we'll never get a true comparison will we? You can look t 1/8 mile numbers and calculate your 1/4 time, but it'd sure be nice to get a 1/4 mile timeslip. Either way, I'd like to run there. We run on the lake in the summer and winter there and pick up a few mph in our boats, so I'm sure the cars would enjoy the air!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back