New Drag Strip In Lake Havasu, Az (1 Viewer)

EDIT: Per competition plus, Doner said the track is expected to have 1,000 feet of concrete with 1,320 feet of shutdown. http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/26830-doner-still-working-the-angles

I'm assuming this will be 1/8th mile racing? Because even the shorter quarter mile tracks like Pomona are over 3,000' starting line to sand, so 2,320' total would be scary short for quarter mile or 1,000' racing. In any case, I hope it works out... Always good to see new tracks being built!

I'm assuming this will be 1/8th mile racing? Because even the shorter quarter mile tracks like Pomona are over 3,000' starting line to sand, so 2,320' total would be scary short for quarter mile or 1,000' racing. In any case, I hope it works out... Always good to see new tracks being built!

The main article said it was going to be a quarter mile drag strip (concrete to 1000ft) with a quarter mile of shut down. According to the chart below from DRO, the combined length of 2640ft would put it in the middle of national event track lengths, and be longer than Indy, Gateway and even Vegas, which seems like it has a long shutdown to me (maybe because it is uphill).

NHRA-Track-Lengths-big.jpg

The main article said it was going to be a quarter mile drag strip (concrete to 1000ft) with a quarter mile of shut down. According to the chart below from DRO, the combined length of 2640ft would put it in the middle of national event track lengths, and be longer than Indy, Gateway and even Vegas, which seems like it has a long shutdown to me (maybe because it is uphill).

NHRA-Track-Lengths-big.jpg

Cool chart Chris, but if I read it right that is the length from the stripe to the sand, etc. In other words shutdown area after the stripe only? I guess it depends on what your definition of 'stripe' is! :D:D:D

I used the Google Earth ruler tool to measure Gainesville, Indy, and Pomona, and came up with shutdown-only lengths of 3,000, 2,560, and 2,100 respectively (not including sand or past) which seems to approximately match the chart.

Last edited:
Cool chart Chris, but if I read it right that is the length from the stripe to the sand, etc. In other words shutdown area after the stripe only? I guess it depends on what your definition of 'stripe' is! :D:D:D

I used the Google Earth ruler tool to measure Gainesville, Indy, and Pomona, and came up with shutdown-only lengths of 3,000, 2,560, and 2,100 respectively (not including sand or past) which seems to approximately match the chart.

Wow, I completely misread that chart. I was thinking starting line to sand, not finish line/"stripe" to sand. Now that I think about it, it completely makes sense that the shutdown lengths are what is represented. So yes, 1320 feet is a VERY short shutdown even for advanced ET cars, let alone Alcohol or Fuel cars.

According to this older video the National Museums of The America, Inc. is working as a DBA to develop the project. Now who is the NMTA?

With regards to shutdown length, it is my understanding that any new tracks being built require to have 2 feet of runoff for every foot of track per the insurance underwriter. This goes for both NHRA and IHRA.

All current tracks are grandfathered in.

Last edited:
Its cool to see them doing video updates to keep people abreast of any progress....I think they are trying very hard to keep their project from being compared to the "Drag City" Debacle

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back