New COPO (1 Viewer)

You can find out the approximate real HP getting to the ground by putting the car Weight and an ET number into Wallace calculators. Pretty sure they low ball these numbers on purpose.

In all fairness, Harve may be right. The Hemi is an engine, and certainly iconic, but as far as a model of car, has there ever been a car that has been used in racing, of all kinds, more than the Camaro?
Ford mustang

You can find out the approximate real HP getting to the ground by putting the car Weight and an ET number into Wallace calculators. Pretty sure they low ball these numbers on purpo

You can find out the approximate real HP getting to the ground by putting the car Weight and an ET number into Wallace calculators. Pretty sure they low ball these numbers on purpose.
Undoubtedly these are lowball HP numbers but there is no real reason for the factory to do that (except maybe for NHRA's amusement) since these cannot be licensed for the street so insurance doesn't come in to play.

Undoubtedly these are lowball HP numbers but there is no real reason for the factory to do that (except maybe for NHRA's amusement) since these cannot be licensed for the street so insurance doesn't come in to play.

I could be wrong, but don't they "de-rate" the HP numbers so they can fit into a specific class? LOL it's probably done just on paper though. People have dyno'ed the supercharged 350 and it makes, shall we say a lot more than 580hp.

Personally I would love to see someone take the supercharged 350 and put it in a Super Stock GT car. My dad says if money was no object he would have a chassis builder make him a '70 Chevelle SS GT car with the supercharged 350. Would be cool to see what it can do on 14 inch tires.

I could be wrong, but don't they "de-rate" the HP numbers so they can fit into a specific class? LOL it's probably done just on paper though. People have dyno'ed the supercharged 350 and it makes, shall we say a lot more than 580hp.

Personally I would love to see someone take the supercharged 350 and put it in a Super Stock GT car. My dad says if money was no object he would have a chassis builder make him a '70 Chevelle SS GT car with the supercharged 350. Would be cool to see what it can do on 14 inch tires.
Fixed it for ya Sam.
My dad says if money was no object he would have a chassis builder make him a 3/4 scale '70 Chevelle SS GT car with the supercharged 350.

Fixed it for ya Sam.
My dad says if money was no object he would have a chassis builder make him a 3/4 scale '70 Chevelle SS GT car with the supercharged 350.

Doesn't that go against the rules? Maybe, I'm sure someone can chime in. BTW, I'm just curious on something. Why does the NHRA require you to use a stock OEM frame for superstock? I know you can backhalf it but I would feel uneasy about putting an engine that is known to make over 1,100hp on a chassis that is close to 50 years old. It would be cool if a company like Art Morrison can make a frame that mimics the look of an OEM frame but would be much stronger *and* if the NHRA allowed it to be used.

That’s exactly how Pro Stock turned into the mess it has become. In 1972 NHRA let Bill Jenkins, through his “creative” interpretation of the rules, use a tube chassis in his Vega. And that was also the first year of the weight breaks.
Allowing back halving will lead to full tube chassis, and get even further away from the original premise of the class.

That’s exactly how Pro Stock turned into the mess it has become. In 1972 NHRA let Bill Jenkins, through his “creative” interpretation of the rules, use a tube chassis in his Vega. And that was also the first year of the weight breaks.
Allowing back halving will lead to full tube chassis, and get even further away from the original premise of the class.

I think the NHRA already allows you to backhalf the chassis to fit the 14" tires in super stock. My question is why can't they allow you to use a brand new aftermarket frame instead of messing with an OEM frame that is 50+ years old. Hell, I'm pretty sure that Art Morrison or whomever can design a frame that looks identical to the OEM version.... just much stronger.

Fixed it for ya Sam.

Smokey Yunick tried that at Daytona in '68 with a Chevelle LOL. Legend has it that the car was 7/8 scale, but Smokey himself it was more like 15/16 to fit the stock body template. NASCAR told him to go kick rocks.

Quoting Smokey himself:

“this car had power, aerodynamics and chassis. Too bad we never got to run it. I think it might have been interesting. Was this car a cheater? You’re goddamn right it was… but not by NASCAR’s published rule book in 1968.”

Smokey Yunick tried that at Daytona in '68 with a Chevelle LOL. Legend has it that the car was 7/8 scale, but Smokey himself it was more like 15/16 to fit the stock body template. NASCAR told him to go kick rocks.

Quoting Smokey himself:

“this car had power, aerodynamics and chassis. Too bad we never got to run it. I think it might have been interesting. Was this car a cheater? You’re goddamn right it was… but not by NASCAR’s published rule book in 1968.”
I've always thought the 70 Chevelle was an awesome body style. And Chevrolet should make it a 7/8 or 3/4 scale and put it on a new chassis/suspension with LS power they'd have something very cool.

I've always thought the 70 Chevelle was an awesome body style. And Chevrolet should make it a 7/8 or 3/4 scale and put it on a new chassis/suspension with LS power they'd have something very cool.

My worry is that the GM of today would use the name on a EV or something. :mad:

There are a few 1970 or 1969 Chevelle Pro Mods, look 3/4 the size of the real one. Cool looking race cars.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back