My Early 90s Pomona pics. (1 Viewer)

Nomad77

Nitro Member
Hi All, As an avid Drag Racing fan growing up in SoCal I took quite a few pics from the NHRA Winternationals and Finals from Pomona in the early to mid 90's. I've had this collection for quite a while and i've always wanted to upload it for other race fans to enjoy. I have quite a few pics from the pits and staging lanes of cars and drivers and crews that may or may not be on the scene anymore. I have some photos that really do capture the moment of that era. Cars you may have forgotten and some you'll never forget. Keep in mind these are amateur pics with basic cameras. I will try to caption most but feel free to correct me if i'm wrong about something. I will upload more as I have time.
91 Winston Finals Top Fuel Classic pre photo op.
91_Winston_Finals_7.jpg
91_Winston_Finals_2.jpg

Tom Hoover and I believe the Late "Flash" Gordon Mineo.
91_Winston_Finals_3.jpg

These were taken the week before the previous post when it rained out on Saturday at my first NHRA race. Back top the pits we go.
Who didn't have a mullet and acid washed jean jacket in 91? In the Jolly Rancher pic you'll notice Frank Hawley to the right, he was talking to Lori Johns.

91_Winston_Finals_6.jpg
91_Winston_Finals_4.jpg
91_Winston_Finals_7.jpg
91_Winston_Finals_5.jpg

1992 Winternationals Saturday Qualifying.

Jerry Eckman and Darrel Alderman
92_Winter_Nats_1.jpg

Connie and Scott Kalitta burning out.
92_Winter_Nats_2.jpg

Connie and Scott
92_Winter_Nats_3.jpg

Mark Oswald running the long course.
92_Winter_Nats_4.jpg

Ed Mcculloch and Ray Stutz backing up.
92_Winter_Nats_5.jpg

5.45 Bump spot!!
92_Winter_Nats_6.jpg

During first session Saturday Top Fuel qualifying 92 Winternationals Jimmy Nix was paired with Doug Herbert when he had a nasty 285mph blowover at the finish line. Jimmy was airlifted out of the complex by helicopter to the local hospital. The wreck was very violent with many pieces of the car flying far and wide. NHRA decided to keep the wreckage of the car in the shutdown area away from the spectators until the day was over. This pic was taken after by standing on the bumper of someones suburban to peak over the fence into the shutdown area. Not much left.
92_Winter_Nats_8.jpg

92 Winston Finals Sat Qualifying
A not yet qualified John Force traversed the whole 1/4 mile on his roof after a stuck throttle rollover 1st session. Pomona PD gave him a lift back to the pits.
Its hard to see but Ashley wasn't to pleased with me taking this pic.
92_Winston_Finals_1.jpg

92_Winston_Finals_2.jpg

Wyatt Radke...nice looking car
92_Winston_Finals_6.jpg

Ed Vickroy A/FD towing back after laying down a game changing [email protected] world record!
92_Winston_Finals_5.jpg

Jim Holtz grenaded one right off the start line that was felt at the finish line. Looks expensive.
92_Winston_Finals_7.jpg

This was the Clayton Harris Top Fuel entry. The gun metal grey paint with orange and narrowed rear housing made for one bad ass looking dragster.
92_Winston_Finals_4.jpg

This was the last event at Pomona before the complete overhaul including permanent 3 level tower and aluminum grandstands were erected.
92_Winston_Finals_3.jpg

92_Winston_Finals_8.jpg

Through post 6, with IE 11 I see only two images and a whole bunch of tags. In Chrome I see only the same (2) pics.

Is it just my computer, or are others not seeing all of the pics that were apparently posted? Suggestions?

Through post 6, with IE 11 I see only two images and a whole bunch of tags. In Chrome I see only the same (2) pics.

Is it just my computer, or are others not seeing all of the pics that were apparently posted? Suggestions?
Sorry about that, not sure what's going on there. I'm able to see everything on my iPhone 4 and ie8 hp. I tried my work phone s4 with chrome and I see exactly what your describing. Mostly tags. They're all uploaded the same size and process.

I'm seeing all the pics (IE11/Win8)

I was there then too, I think on that Saturday we went over to the liquor store for a bottle of tequila and to El Merendero for some burritos to wait out the rain...it wasn't a great plan.

and I have a few box loads of pictures from that era at Pomona still to scan and upload...I did find these of the '83 Winternationals that I've uploaded. https://picasaweb.google.com/107037667974010653544/1983OCIRWorldFinals#

I'm seeing all the pics (IE11/Win8)

I was there then too, I think on that Saturday we went over to the liquor store for a bottle of tequila and to El Merendero for some burritos to wait out the rain...it wasn't a great plan.

and I have a few box loads of pictures from that era at Pomona still to scan and upload...I did find these of the '83 Winternationals that I've uploaded. https://picasaweb.google.com/107037667974010653544/1983OCIRWorldFinals#
Those are awesome pics. Wish I could've seen OCIR before they dozed it.

oooh! Really nice pics.Love love love love love love Pomona. Nice eye candy shots too! Thanks for sharing them. Sometimes I wish I could get in a time machine and transport right into that time/era.

1992 Winternationals Saturday Qualifying.

Jerry Eckman and Darrel Alderman
92_Winter_Nats_1.jpg

Connie and Scott Kalitta burning out.
92_Winter_Nats_2.jpg

Connie and Scott
92_Winter_Nats_3.jpg

Mark Oswald running the long course.
92_Winter_Nats_4.jpg

Ed Mcculloch and Ray Stutz backing up.
92_Winter_Nats_5.jpg

5.45 Bump spot!!
92_Winter_Nats_6.jpg

During first session Saturday Top Fuel qualifying 92 Winternationals Jimmy Nix was paired with Doug Herbert when he had a nasty 285mph blowover at the finish line. Jimmy was airlifted out of the complex by helicopter to the local hospital. The wreck was very violent with many pieces of the car flying far and wide. NHRA decided to keep the wreckage of the car in the shutdown area away from the spectators until the day was over. This pic was taken after by standing on the bumper of someones suburban to peak over the fence into the shutdown area. Not much left.
92_Winter_Nats_8.jpg
I remember Jimmy's blowover. After the car blew over, it was right side up going backwards on fire.

Well it has happened, I am becoming a geezer that misses the good ol' days. Cars, drivers and teams had character. The independent part timers could shake it up with the big guys and the stands were packed!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back