Monostrut vs Wing Struts (1 Viewer)

Does anyone remember in the 91 season, when Amato took the wing off? He went a 5.O... Little off topic, sorry guys. Do any of you rember why Amato did that, besides the obvious of experimenting? Doubt in this day in age it would work...
Michael
In '91' Amato was running his "Ground Effects" package at Bakersfield... I was there... But he had the wing on there... I do remember seeing a picture of those same GE without the rear wing... I would guess it was a handful, maybe two handfuls...:D :eek:

I never saw the ground effects get to half track without the wing, the car was "way loose" without the additional downforce, never got going fast enough for the ground effects package to make up the difference.

Larry, you probably got to see Snake's wedge car run, probably from a perspective very few of us could. Was it a "sticky" car for the time, based on track surfaces of the day? How did other cars run in comparison to it from the view from the starting line? I saw Connie's car at Indy :eek: .. Would that wedge be an advantage with today's technology helping in the design, as opposed to only Ground Effects cars like Amato's or Ormsby's? How about the 22 Jr. car of Tony Nancy- any opportunity to see that one (Ya would have just been a kid.. :D )...

Design Analysis: Mathematical Modeling of Nonlinear Systems By David E. Thompson

Off to the bookstore tomorrow to find it- this was the closest thing I could find on Google meeting the criteria... There is a section in the Index regarding "dragster", but the page can't be viewed on the 'Net...Scott Y- any other hints on finding that paper (saw lots of pinewood dragsters on the Purdue site..:D )..

Martin,
I really apologize for sending you on a possible wild goose chase. The research was done so long ago (hard to believe '92 is 15 yrs ago!) that the paper might not be on the net. But there is a paper published in 1999 for the AIAA by two gentlemen at the Purdue engineering department that talk about design/build projects at Purdue and they mention a top fuel dragster project so I know that papers must have been published.
However, check your PMs. ;)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back