Models in interviews (2 Viewers)

eggs-zactly

I've always laughed at it. Our sport touting that women have always been competitive and seen as racers is almost instantly negated by the deer-in-headlights models being pushed and shoved around during these interviews.

(Offscreen model control)
"Get closer, show the tanktop design, smile, don't look at me, look at the camera. Don't look at the winner, look at the camera. Get closer. Not there, there, nope, your other right."

Then there was the omnipresent Traxxis model seemingly sewn to Courtney Force's firesuit at the latest race. No matter where she was, there's the model.

Please, for the love of god, NHRA & ESPN, PLEASE get rid of those stupid models used for winning interviews. They are props and are acting & posing. Takes the integrity right out of a good interview.
I think the others are missing the point, and I'm agreeing with Nick - the sponsor model during the "top of the track" winners snippet interview has been done for years. We all expect that. What changed, and I noticed it too - is when they are doing just a plain old interview - like they did with Courtney - there was a model standing beside her and the model's job, I'm assuming, was to blink. A lot. Not sure
what it adds (well, I do, but...) to the veracity of the interview. It's not like I can't see a sponsor logo or two on the driver already....

What about facial tattoos of logos?

eggs-zactly

I've always laughed at it. Our sport touting that women have always been competitive and seen as racers is almost instantly negated by the deer-in-headlights models being pushed and shoved around during these interviews.

(Offscreen model control)
"Get closer, show the tanktop design, smile, don't look at me, look at the camera. Don't look at the winner, look at the camera. Get closer. Not there, there, nope, your other right."

Then there was the omnipresent Traxxis model seemingly sewn to Courtney Force's firesuit at the latest race. No matter where she was, there's the model.

Kevin has it perfect. The "off screen model control" is exactly what I'm talking about. These models are not fans of the sport or anything like that.....they are hired to stand somewhere and look "pretty". I don't blame the model actually (in fact, I find some of these girls down right smokin hot) I blame the people who hire them (NHRA). I actually cringe when watching these interviews now.

I get eye candy as I walk through the pits or as a spokes model but just standing there in the background doing nothing.....same goes for the goofy sponsor dude too. Nobody cares who you are, the driver(and the logo's on their suit) will take care of making sure you get mentioned. Seeing extra people cramming into the shot just looks sad and desperate.

I get eye candy as I walk through the pits or as a spokes model but just standing there in the background doing nothing.....same goes for the goofy sponsor dude too. Nobody cares who you are, the driver(and the logo's on their suit) will take care of making sure you get mentioned. Seeing extra people cramming into the shot just looks sad and desperate.
Get rid of the sponsor dude, keep the models. Eye candy never hurt my feelings.
Rick

all i'm gonna' say is that the traxxas logo is well positioned when in use with their female models.
the logo is what i notice and read first......even when courtney is standing next to her/them.....well done traxxas :D

I cringe too Nick. I feel bad for them.

Raise your hand if you want to see yet another sponsor guy, or sponsor girl rather than the crew crowding their driver celebrating and congratulating each other. If you raised your hand, allow me to point you to some sites where you can get your fix, and not mix your fantasy with my racing coverage. We'll both be happy.

Talking about how trophy girls have always been a part of the deal, so was the team jumping in their tow vehicle and celebrating down the return road, heading for their driver, to celebrate their win. Now it's orchestrated so cameras get to do the obligatory starting line replay. We're watching a replay of people reacting to cars. -yawn- Save the space. It's gotten old. Just like when the Glidden boys first did a high-five. For the next 20 wins by Bob, we got to see the boys do their high-five. It all got rather staged, and dull. They finally stopped showing it.

When it's live, yup, I understand doing the interview quickly and not wait for the team to arrive. But when it's taped, like most broadcasts. Come on. Wait for the team.

I find robot bikinis out of date, AND out of place. Hey, I like beautiful women too. I also know right where to find them. We all remember the Winston Girl, whatever her name was. She was gorgeous, but she also learned the shutdown deal pretty well. She went from race to race, and was actually part of the racing family. She would dive in, hand the hat over, and then step back. Wasn't awkward, wasn't distracting.

Same with the Backup girls (BUGs). They're actually part of a team, doing an actual function.

I have nothing against eye candy. Honest. It's the awkward Barbie doll posing that is distracting.

If they must have it instead of the actual team celebrating, at least use the same one, so she gets comfortable with it.

Don't get me started on that strange NHRA mascot....you know. The one that literally no kid is interested in, and it's for them, isn't it? That eagle thingy with the cartoon helmet...in a firesuit.

Feels like the Moose Lodge version of Drag Racing rather than the Crowded Club feel they're shooting for.

There was a cutie earlier in the year - and I THINK she was at several races - who seemed to react to whatever the interviewer was asking AND whatever the interviewee was saying. She can't possibly have even heard/understood what either party was talking about but she was animated.
BTW: I think the kid was REALLY pretty (blond with light eyes - great smile) but, it was distracting and disconcerting.
That said, keep the eye candy!

Don't get me started on that strange NHRA mascot....you know. The one that literally no kid is interested in, and it's for them, isn't it? That eagle thingy with the cartoon helmet...in a firesuit.

Feels like the Moose Lodge version of Drag Racing rather than the Crowded Club feel they're shooting for.

Nevermind. It dawned on me that is the IndyCar mascot. If the NHRA does have a mascot, they should ditch it. lol....that was a no-look sky hook.

Seems pretty simple to me. A model, with a "well placed" sponsor logo, is a mobile billboard/display - meaning that wherever the interview is conducted, the sponsor logo can be placed. And the majority of the demographic (men) are going to notice that sponsor logo far more than they will a static display (i.e. the blow up displays, banners, etc.).

And I feel not one bit bad for them. They are likely getting paid, and probably didn't get kidnapped to do the job. If they're terrible actors, then that's on them, or on the people that hire them. Perhaps a permanent set of models would be better! NASCAR has gotten it right with the Sprint girls. Very beautiful, but classy with their firesuits instead of skimpy wear, and recognizable in that they are consistent ambassadors.

It seems as though you can't just have Courtney or John or Tony in an interview - you gotta have 5 others standing in the background smiling and nodding every time the driver says the same scripted spiel or farts in their race suit. It looks a lot like a pre-election campaign - very cringe-worthy stuff.
Someone ought to take a photo from behind to show just how ridiculous it actually looks. Having the race car in the background is perfect as it is.

I DVR all the races that way I fast forward through all the interviews, not because of the models, but because the interviews are the same thing over and over again.

There is something different with these local models paid to stand and try and look interested. Linda Vaughn really appeared to enjoy the racing, the racers and the fans. Even Deb Britsam appeared to be mildly interested. I do think the era of "I won the race and I get the cash, the trophy and the girl" is probably over. It gets kinda creepy considering how many pros are over 60.

I find robot bikinis out of date, AND out of place. Hey, I like beautiful women too. I also know right where to find them. We all remember the Winston Girl, whatever her name was. She was gorgeous, but she also learned the shutdown deal pretty well. She went from race to race, and was actually part of the racing family. She would dive in, hand the hat over, and then step back. Wasn't awkward, wasn't distracting.
That would be Jackie Becke. I miss her!

Before Jackie, Miss Hurst, Linda Vaughn was very very present at NHRA events going back to the late 60's.

I don't have cable or satellite TV so I don't get to watch ESPN coverage. I don't know if the current use of pretty girls could/should be considered to be over-the-top. I personally can't imagine it being so distracting or otherwise offensive to complain about it here.

I don't think the complaint is the pretty girls; it's the awkward scrum that happens when they try to fit every sponsor into the 4:3 shot.

News flash- sponsors, your winning driver is going to bore us with the laundry list, and your logo is on the car and their chest. We get it- your product is cool and hopefully helped your driver get the win today. A pretty girl with your logo on her assets is good for a distraction; don't keep trying to make her the focus- it takes away from the successful day the race team had.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back