mike neff's run in the final - what was he thinking!! (1 Viewer)

I think he's a heck of a natural driver. I wasn't sure what to expect since this is his first season but he's driving that car like he's been in it for a long time. I bet it's only a matter of weeks until he's in the winners circle.

I agree, he's had some scares, but he pulls through them quite calmly. He seems very close in personality to Hight

I question the wisdom of him not knowing that the crew chief is doing down there. Could be a situation where Medlin thought Neff knew because Neff had been a Crew chief and didn't think to explain what he was doing.

Mike might want to tone down his "I was pissed" remarks on TV. Or maybe that's good these days.

That remark didn't offend me at all, and he followed it with congratulations to Melanie for winning. I am sure with his experience as a crew chief or being on a crew, the whole thing irritated him cause he was so close to his first win. Again, he acknowledged Melanie without skipping a beat. That outshined the 'pissed' comment to me.

I agree, he's had some scares, but he pulls through them quite calmly. He seems very close in personality to Hight.
Probably the reason that Mr. Force picked him in the first place...

I question the wisdom of him not knowing that the crew chief is doing down there. Could be a situation where Medlin thought Neff knew because Neff had been a Crew chief and didn't think to explain what he was doing.

Hel!, all of us know that after the back-up, the body comes up for all the things that prep the car for the shot. Bottles on, stoppers pulled, throttle stop yanked, idle set, look for leaks, check the numbers- all the things Zippy KNOWS got to get done... A lot like setting the detonator in reverse.

On the other side, ya gotta bring it to the line, bcuz you NEVER know what's gonna happen, and to sit there afterwards kickin' yourself lasts alot longer than it takes to grow eyebrows back.. Medlin and Miff did the right thing, IMO.

I suspect the reason Mels car broke traction was sitting on the line so long it must have put some serious heat in the clutch. Also the extra heat in the motor would produce more power earlier in the run.
Whatever happened, Congrats to Mel and the entire crew!;)

That remark didn't offend me at all, and he followed it with congratulations to Melanie for winning. I am sure with his experience as a crew chief or being on a crew, the whole thing irritated him cause he was so close to his first win. Again, he acknowledged Melanie without skipping a beat. That outshined the 'pissed' comment to me.

His remark didn't offend me, it just stood out... especially coming from a new driver. Some drivers/crew interview very politely, regardless of how incredibly stupid the questions are, and some might tend to be a little Whit like.
Mike can decide what he wants to be known for.

His remark didn't offend me, it just stood out... especially coming from a new driver. Some drivers/crew interview very politely, regardless of how incredibly stupid the questions are, and some might tend to be a little Whit like.

Bottom line is this, you aren't going to please everybody. I would rather someone get out of the car and give us a real explanation than the PC - sponsor-spew we most often hear. I liked Zippy's interview, I didn't think it was Whit-like at all because Zippy wasn't whining ... he was letting it be known he was upset because they gave one away.

What I didn't like was Zippy trying to run it out the back door and unnecessarily tearing up a bunch of stuff. I am willing to chalk it up to a "rookie" mistake, he has certainly earned the benefit of the doubt from a punter like me, but he would have been chaffed if one of his drivers had done the same while he was still crew-chiefin'. Zippy should have known better and if he doesn't, shame on JFR from not telling him anything on the radio.

Last edited:
Usually when the body gets hung up, it is on the throttle linkage to the blower. If it opens up the throttle it is nearly impossible to hold the car.

yes but we've seen a couple of occasions now where jammed body's can catch the throttle linkage and when that happens no brake will hold it.

When the crewmemberswere doing the reaching they were trying to arm the system NOT lift the body. I believe the body will hold the linkage CLOSED not hang it up WFO. A burnout had just been completed and the linkage was
opperating properly...

What I didn't like was Zippy trying to run it out the back door and unnecessarily tearing up a bunch of stuff. I am willing to chalk it up to a "rookie" mistake, he has certainly earned the benefit of the doubt from a punter like me, but he would have been chaffed if one of his drivers had done the same while he was still crew-chiefin'. Zippy should have known better and if he doesn't, shame on JFR from not telling him anything on the radio.

it was the finals and he was ahead...i might have been mad at him for lifting....bottom line is he either wasnt told the systems werent armed or he has a set of stones on him, cuz he woulda known that the injector was gonna be in his lap

Either way he will be winning soon. Congrats to Melanie!! She can drive anything. BTW, does anyone know if she has 6 wins or 7 wins now? I thought she had 2 in TAD, 4 in TF and 1 FC. Everything I read now says she has 1 TAD win. Just curious and I noticed the discrepancies.

In retrospect, I'm just really glad it wasn't another Force team car in the other lane when all that occurred. Can you possibly imagine all the speculation/conjecture/hypothesizing that would be spewing on page after page of rhetoric had that been Ashley Force in the other lane? Oh my head hurts just thinking about it.

I would bet anything that the guarantee of a "fixed race" would set these boards aflame-especially after his interview!

Is there a way to say "I'm pissed" with class. YES..and I think Zippy showed that. Great composure..and after the way John Medlin described their relationship..how can you sit there and 'piss' on the way he acted..or how he'll be known for..pfft.

I'm sure they have gone over what happened..and Mike knows it wasn't cool to hammer down at that point.

It was man-up all the way around.

Thread asked "what was he thinking?"

Get this heap to the finish line in front of Mel.

Also with that many people on the radios all talking at once I am sure he heard stab it and duck! :D

Good to see Mike and Mel's teams coming together.

The days of old timers hammering spark plugs closed to keep CLY from firing because piston has bad rings or burnt is really no different and it happened all the time.

Glad everyone is ok and they finished the race live! ESPN nice JOB!
Bet that will be the only time I say that this year!:eek:

"Your entitled to your opinion on how you think all this is supposed to operate, but just be sure to share your opinion with us when you have a dog in the fight." - Bob Plonski

Why don't you follow your own advice?

Great post Bill.

BTW: If this wouldn't have happened to a JFR entry no one probably wouldn't have said anything about it.

Last edited:
Hmmmm,
You have just gotten out of a car that went BANG right in front of your face, arms, legs, nads, etc. and an interviewer sticks a mic in your face and asks you what that was like!!

"Well Bob, I was thinkin it might get down the track for Old Spice and Castrol, but the little body hang up thing and such prevented the car from performing like it usually does."

Uh huh, I've never sat in one of those monsters, (maybe someday??), but when something goes bang in front of me, it takes a few hunnerd minutes for the blood and adrenaline to slow down to a reasonable pace!

I think Zippy did a great job, and the interview?
He's thirsty, wants to win, heck yes he was pissed, and he stated it, anybody with a desire to win would be too, my hats off to him for trying, and no, I am not offended.

What he got there was experience, he may never see that situation again, but if he does, he might change the way he handles it, or, he may do the same thing all over again, who am I to 2nd guess what someone does in that 5 seconds of rapid fire decision making!!!

He will get his win soon!

Just my .02 and .03

"D"

I appreciate Zippy for a realistic interview, a heart-felt emotion and an honest opinion!
Seems we dont get enough of them most of the time, and I think that the 'PC' should quiet down!
This is Drag Racing folks, not Ladies Auxillary.

Secondly,I congratulate Mel on her First, First and First. First Win, First lady to win in both FC and Fueler and first to pop a Woman to Woman battle since the mid eighty's. The lady has all the ear marks of a killer! ( and I MEAN THAT as a true Compliment)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back