mike neff's run in the final - what was he thinking!! (1 Viewer)

nitrobobby

Nitro Member
he was gary scelzi crew chief -why did he not shut down the car when body refused to open for final run? Of all drivers to continue - a crew chief should have known how dangerous that pass could be!!

Because you have to at least take the light and hope she was crossing the centerline or tagging the wall. He would have gotten the win then.

maybe after 60 feet - shut it down -coast down the track?? last year we lost eric medlin and john force was injured badly on this same team - being a little on the safe side might be prudent

Last edited:
he was gary scelzi crew chief -why did he not shut down the car when body refused to open for final run? Of all drivers to continue - a crew chief should have known how dangerous that pass could be!!

Didn't you hear his interview after the race?

He said he didn't know Medlen had to engage everything. Sounds like Medlin might do things differently than he did when he was a Crew Chief.

Didn't you hear his interview after the race?

He said he didn't know Medlen had to engage everything. Sounds like Medlin might do things differently than he did when he was a Crew Chief.

Yes....and he didn't hear anything on the radio.

While I was glad for Melanie, that was one scary explosion.

(Hey, it's only money<G>)

Man when they kept messing with the body I had flash backs to Tony P's incident at Indy a few years back. Then whoever it was that got on the ground that was insane. That could have gotten ugly.

I don't blame him for taking the tree. You have to. First he didn't know that everything wasn't set and even if he did, you have to hop for a redlight or some other trouble in the other lane

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, jumping down there and crawling up under that thing, you got to be in line to mangled at best and squashed like a possum at worst. With an amped up driver just wanting to stage and go. Do you think Buster would have let that go, or would he have planted himself in front of the car?

Then whoever it was that got on the ground that was insane. That could have gotten ugly.
Yeah that's putting alot of faith in Zippy's right arm; and the whole brake system in general. Reminds me of the race at Dallas in the 90s' - Scott Kalitta driving his Dad's top fueler, he couldn't get it into reverse after the burnout. Before Tim Ferrell dove under the car sitting there idiling at like halftrack - he motioned for Scott to not touch anything and pull on the brake as hard as he could.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, jumping down there and crawling up under that thing, you got to be in line to mangled at best and squashed like a possum at worst. With an amped up driver just wanting to stage and go. Do you think Buster would have let that go, or would he have planted himself in front of the car?
Buster would have helped em get the body open

Yeah that's putting alot of faith in Zippy's right arm; and the whole brake system in general.
Well I guess if they trust the brakes enough to stop the car after a 300 mph lap they would think they hold at idle....

Well I guess if they trust the brakes enough to stop the car after a 300 mph lap they would think they hold at idle....

Usually when the body gets hung up, it is on the throttle linkage to the blower. If it opens up the throttle it is nearly impossible to hold the car.

yes but we've seen a couple of occasions now where jammed body's can catch the throttle linkage and when that happens no brake will hold it.

For a moment I thought Robert Hight figured out the problem when he tampered with something in the cockpit area. When Melanie went up in smoke, Neff at the lead and for a moment I thought he would make it to the final, well . . . until the big bang. Two finals for Neff, get em next time!!

It looked to me, they had guys on both side of the Injector (one Robert Hight) to protect the linkage from getting hung up on the body when going up. I think it had to have been with the fuel vent/latch or the body tree on something.

Damn shame whatever it was.

"Your entitled to your opinion on how you think all this is supposed to operate, but just be sure to share your opinion with us when you have a dog in the fight." - Bob Plonski

Why don't you follow your own advice?

Mike might want to tone down his "I was pissed" remarks on TV. Or maybe that's good these days.

Mike just clearly stated again on the re-run that he couldn't hear the communication from John Medlen as to whether or not he had armed the system. Guido was trying to reach under to get the air on and nobody communicated to him to shut down. Having seen John then bring him to the line and not being able to communicate as to whether or not the car was OK to run, I believe he did the right thing. Had the car been armed and ready, he surely would've won given Mel's back-pedal. Had Mel crossed center, red lit, or touched the wall, he would've won his first race. Either way, he had to try given no crew member gave him the cut-off sign. I was also quite impressed how he handled the explosion and subsequent fire. He was very well composed given his biggest concern was the victory gone by.

Exactly Bobby, I just heard Miff say "Let's go Let's go" and didn't hear any communication from the crew. If they were thrashing to get something fixed, crawling and yanking around the body, they may've disconnected the com port.

I was also quite impressed how he handled the explosion and subsequent fire. He was very well composed given his biggest concern was the victory gone by.
I think he's a heck of a natural driver. I wasn't sure what to expect since this is his first season but he's driving that car like he's been in it for a long time. I bet it's only a matter of weeks until he's in the winners circle.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back