Load of BS, NO weight added!!! (1 Viewer)

So let me ask u this Andrew.. By looking at backhalf numbers should there have been a weight increase on the buells.. I just want the class to be fair... I have a bike that can win the championship but if NHRA is going to make rules like this why should we keep going...The 10 lbs hurt us about 3 hundreths.. The % of weight NHRA added to us would have been like them adding 38.2 lbs to the pro stock cars
As an outsider, wouldn't it be best if the teams met and petitioned the NHRA to go along with the majority racers desires? This weight fluctuation seems to be tainting the class and causing bad feelings. JMHO, but the Harleys were running well enough to win or at least contend w/o any weight break.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

It seems to me that the "knee jerk reaction" by those that make the rules has not only hurt the performance of the Buells,but created some serious hard feelings between the two v-twin camps as well.I'm not a big bike fan,but what NHRA did was stupid.Why penalize someone for doing the R&D,and all the hard work to improve their competitiveness?I could understand if after several races it was proven that one bike(Buell,V-rod,Suzuki,or whatever) was clearly at a major advantage over the others,but not after one race.Matt,you did a great job,I'm sorry you were penalized for it.Andrew,you guys did a great job answering back with improved performance,too bad NHRA tilted the tables to favor you guys and the Suzukis...would have been interesting to have seen what would have happened without the weight penalty being forced on the Buells...

I could understand if after several races it was proven that one bike(Buell,V-rod,Suzuki,or whatever) was clearly at a major advantage over the others,but not after one race.

Never mind one race, it was only one Buell (I think there are 5 more out there), what I didn't see was the rest of them (Buells) running with Matt. That is like making the Pontiacs carry another 100# because of Team KB.

That said, congrats to Andrew. They worked very hard for that win.

What are the weight breaks now for the three different designs? I thought they were within about 10# of each other.

Matt and Amanda,
I pull for you guys as much as I can, but. Get used to it. Harley has lined the correct pockets to insure that they will always have an advantage or they wouldn't even be there. They don't play anywhere that makes them play fair. Hope all is well in beautiful King, NC! MJ

Weight for Brand Types:
Suzuki 1500cc---590**
Suzuki 1655cc---615
Buell 160ci-----625 (as of 5/18/07)
V-Rod 160ci-----615

**I don't know of anyone running a 1500cc Suzuki right now.

Matt,

I am not going to comment of NHRA's recent decision. I have been in your postion before. Our team was the cause of the 40 lb rule in 2004. My bike was a lot quicker than the bikes out there. The Buells were probably not ready for that since they had only been out a few races. We hated it, everyone looked at us with disgust, but that was not going to stop us from racing. Was it fair then? You were riding a Suzuki at the time. I felt they were trying to take away any chance of us winning the championship. I know its different now because there is a separation between V-Twins, but I don't make the rules, nor do I try to sway them!!! We were already working on things before the weight issue came about. We knew your bike was faster than ours, we saw it all year, so we knew since we probably can't go a 1.04 then we needed to work on launches and get our numbers closer to yours, that is why we tested at ORPfor 3 days before the weight ruling. We didn't pick-up much power, sixty footing is where we got it from, we were consitently 2-3 hundredths quicker in 60' at Chicago than St. Louis. You know what momentum can do for a run.

So since you said the weight hurt you about 3 hundreths and in Q4 I ran 6.921 and you ran 6.951, do you feel you would have run a 6.921? If so, do you feel we did our homework since St. Louis? You did have over a tenth on me there. 6.901 to 7.031 We could have just sat back and said all right they get ten pounds and we dont. You can't blame us for trying to win, I am just working within the rules they give me. I don't call and try to get them changed!

Andrew

Never mind one race, it was only one Buell (I think there are 5 more out there), what I didn't see was the rest of them (Buells) running with Matt. That is like making the Pontiac's carry another 100# because of Team KB.

That said, congrats to Andrew. They worked very hard for that win.

What are the weight breaks now for the three different designs? I thought they were within about 10# of each other.

You hit it on the head (inadvertently). So did Andrew.
There are 3 configurations - Inline 1655 2v, Inline 1500 4v, and Push-rod V-Twins. The rules should apply to the configurations, instead it is now based on 4 brands. The Pontiac analogy is extremely spot on.

Andrew, I'll step in for Matt (if I may).It was painfully obvious, if your bike had carried the weight (as it should) you (the class) would've been on a level playing field. It's certainly no fault of yours (VHR) that the rules are now what they are, however, there should be some discomfort knowing that they (the rules) aren't fair/balanced. As I stated earlier, the 40 runs of testing and all the R&D that went along with it helped, but the rules insured your success. The NHRA decision unfortunately tainted a hard earned victory.

This controversy is the sole responsibility of NHRA. It doesn't make a difference who complained initially, NHRA is the end authority.

I've known your dad since I was 13 years old, and personally know, and respect, the work ethic he is about. I was there when he and Terry helped build the Class. None of you need the crap that this rules revision brings into play. VHR has never needed help competing or, winning.

Last edited:
Do they use a dartboard when calculating the weight adjustment? 40# for Andrew when he had a tenth on the field and 10# for Matt when he did. What happens when Miss Goodbottom runs an .87, will they add a half pound?

What I find sad about the whole deal is the hard feelings people like Matt and Andrew have when the whole situation is a direct result of the conflict of interest that will always be present with the policies of THE leadership OF GLENDORA........

Andrew your team did do there homework after st louis... Yes I think I could have ran a 6.92 something without the 10 lbs on... Could I have ran a 2.49 down the back... no way... I do all my et the firsthalf of the track... Your Dad was 1 of the first people to tell me how well I was doing after the finals at st louis... That means alot to me.. We were a tenth over u at st louis but your whole team struggled badly there.. The race before u were within 3/4 hundrenths of everybody...I just wish that the class was on a level playing field.... Thanks for everybody who is supporting me and the buell teams through this.....

Andrew your team did do there homework after st louis... Yes I think I could have ran a 6.92 something without the 10 lbs on... Could I have ran a 2.49 down the back... no way... I do all my et the firsthalf of the track... Your Dad was 1 of the first people to tell me how well I was doing after the finals at st louis... That means alot to me.. We were a tenth over u at st louis but your whole team struggled badly there.. The race before u were within 3/4 hundrenths of everybody...I just wish that the class was on a level playing field.... Thanks for everybody who is supporting me and the buell teams threw this.....
Well Boys, how about a Best 3 out of 5 at E Town on the Friday. It's called a GRUDGE MATCH!
Make sure the media gets a HEADS UP!

Matt,

Thanks for being reasonable in this deal. Myself or anyone on the team never asked NHRA to add weight to the Buells or anything like that, so I would appreciate it if we would not get thrown into the grease just so some people can feel better.

Have a good "off" weekend and I will see you in E-Town.

Andrew

Andrew on another note how come your wife formally known on the nitromater as Gator Girl no longer visits here? :confused:

She use to be a regular here at the mater.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, Matt and Andrew. We appreciate your participation.

Tell Tanya I said 'hi' Andrew!

Looks like the same old whenever you try to achieve parity. The lesson seems to be "You're supposed to try to do better than everyone else. Just don't do TOO much better than everyone else!" :D

People will have to do in pro classes like they do in comp. Your index is just a little more informal.

Is there any truth to the reliable rumor that the weight penalty is relative to NHRA concerns of PSB going quicker than 6.90?

Andrew, Matt, GB3...anybody?

I simply can't imagine Byron Hines telling Harley® they have to get something done with the rules to help him. You have to know this guys history to know that.

Jay

Absolutely! Check out this thread

Dragbike.com Forums: Buells

middle of the page GBIII post...
Geez, reading that post and the one on the next page by GB gets my blood almost boling. Looks to me like Team Hardley went crying again and bought themselves another advantage. :mad: Typical Hardley, if they can't compete they just start throwing money at the sanctioning body until they give-in and tweak the rules in their favor. :rolleyes:

I simply can't imagine Byron Hines telling Harley® they have to get something done with the rules to help him. You have to know this guys history to know that.

Jay

very true, however I can easily see a big money 'official" sponsor throwing their weight around

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back