Kalitta Motorsports Sitting Out VEGAS...POMONA?? (1 Viewer)

If this is true, I believe it is a move that could save sponsors from leaving the NHRA in the future. Connie's cars are one of the few if not only that have the resources to get away with boycotting the last two races. Using the Richmond race as an example, I'm pretty sure Doug Kalitta only got one interview and that was after winning the event. The only reason we were spared a bunch of countdown hype in Top Fuel is because the four countdown cars were all gone by the end of round 2. Looking at Funny Car Tim Wilkerson and Tony Bartone combined for 4 round wins yesterday and that translated into zero interviews. Looking at Pro Stock Mike Edwards won a couple of rounds yesterday for the first time in a long time and he didn't get any interviews. If this goes on for another couple of years sponsors are going to get fed up and either cut back on their sponsorship or pull out all together. After reading the interview on DRO if the NHRA listened to some of Connie's suggestions the show they put on would be a lot better.

::: Drag Racing Online ::: InnerVIEW - Connie Kalitta - 7/10/07

Doug had to win the race before espn could be bothered to give him an interview:rolleyes:

People are complaining like hell about the broadcast.

I noticed a signifigant amount of time during the three hours concerning the :

Passing of Wally Parks

Team JFR's unbelieveable (some ups, alotta' downs:( ) season.

And the interview from Baylor (John and Ashley.)

That probably accounted for at least a half hour of the broadcast.

Regarding team Kalitta, this year until yesterday they were pretty much backmarkers, and recieved the press usually due (earned if you will....).

Thats my opinion.

REX

What difference does the Countdown make? Under the old system, they wouldn't be a contender either. Kalitta stinks this year. They don't win races, and they aren't anywhere close to the championship. What exactly are they doing to warrent media coverage, Countdown or no Countdown?

Did you watch the same race that I was watching??? :rolleyes:

If this is true, I believe it is a move that could save sponsors from leaving the NHRA in the future. Connie's cars are one of the few if not only that have the resources to get away with boycotting the last two races. Using the Richmond race as an example, I'm pretty sure Doug Kalitta only got one interview and that was after winning the event. The only reason we were spared a bunch of countdown hype in Top Fuel is because the four countdown cars were all gone by the end of round 2. Looking at Funny Car Tim Wilkerson and Tony Bartone combined for 4 round wins yesterday and that translated into zero interviews. Looking at Pro Stock Mike Edwards won a couple of rounds yesterday for the first time in a long time and he didn't get any interviews. If this goes on for another couple of years sponsors are going to get fed up and either cut back on their sponsorship or pull out all together. After reading the interview on DRO if the NHRA listened to some of Connie's suggestions the show they put on would be a lot better.
Spot on.
I was thinking while watching last night - if were to go back, and recount all the times that a 2-3 round winner never got an interview this year, and they interjected a bunch of BS, I bet it would be alarming for the sponsors.

The sponsor doesn't care about the story line near as much as the producer I am sure - they want to see their money being made.

Did you catch John Force mention his from his hospital bed last night? Yea, that's what you call making money for the people that make you money. You can't exactly do it when you aren't even on the broadcast.

Eh...
BeatDeadHorse.gif

DLB

People are complaining like hell about the broadcast.

I noticed a signifigant amount of time during the three hours concerning the :

Passing of Wally Parks

Team JFR's unbelieveable (some ups, alotta' downs:( ) season.

And the interview from Baylor (John and Ashley.)

That probably accounted for at least a half hour of the broadcast.

Regarding team Kalitta, this year until yesterday they were pretty much backmarkers, and recieved the press usually due (earned if you will....).

Thats my opinion.

REX

wrong Force, stunk the first chunk of this season yet he got a ton of publicty for it. He an Doug dnq at the same race, ended the longest qualifying steaks in their classes and Force got all kinds of pub, Doug got a little.

While yes I agree thier performace this year doesn't equal top billing on tv but this isn't a bottome feeder team. It is a major team, that has struggeled. Could it be since Connie has been vocal about how bad the chase sucks that his team is being punished????

wrong Force, stunk the first chunk of this season yet he got a ton of publicty for it. He an Doug dnq at the same race, ended the longest qualifying steaks in their classes and Force got all kinds of pub, Doug got a little.

While yes I agree thier performace this year doesn't equal top billing on tv but this isn't a bottome feeder team. It is a major team, that has struggeled. Could it be since Connie has been vocal about how bad the chase sucks that his team is being punished????
...........or what about the SEVERAL times that Connie has denied them an interview this season? ...or when they asked the question of Rahn Tobler's departure having anything to do with their lack of on track success and Connie almost bit their heads off? Goes both ways now!

...........or what about the SEVERAL times that Connie has denied them an interview this season? ...or when they asked the question of Rahn Tobler's departure having anything to do with their lack of on track success and Connie almost bit their heads off? Goes both ways now!

That's the great thing about interviewing Conrad though ... you never know what you are going to get. (Great for us viewers, probably not great for Kernan or Rieff)

And someone mentioned Mike Edwards earlier, word around the campfire is he doesn't get interviewed because of his constant mentions of JC. Apparently he was asked to "tone down" the religious content, but I guess he refused. Hence, no interviews. Gotta admire a man who will stick to his convictions.

Last edited:

Hmmmmm........maybe Connie couldn't hear them asking!!! :D Drag racing has some effect on the hearing!

I would answer the same way if I were him regarding Rahn too. Besides, it is really no one's business what happened.

Did you watch the same race that I was watching??? :rolleyes:

Suzie Q...
wish I could have seen the whole race on tape... set it to record 5 hours, starting at seven... got all first round and and TF second round...
note to self: rewind the flipping tape before sticking it in vcr at 5 am.... so, I rewatched reading....

and from what I did see... coverage was usual... not about the races, but about the hype... real fans knew going in what their favs needed to do... heck I was hoping to see T-bone, Teach, Foley, Special K... Mad Max...

I just wish someone would understand it's about the Race That Day... The points will figure themselves out... surprising how many conversations I had over the weekend with people who either don't like or could careless about the countdown.... they were there to See A Drag Race... not to see the Play-Offs...

Suzie Q...
wish I could have seen the whole race on tape... set it to record 5 hours, starting at seven... got all first round and and TF second round...
note to self: rewind the flipping tape before sticking it in vcr at 5 am.... so, I rewatched reading....

and from what I did see... coverage was usual... not about the races, but about the hype... real fans knew going in what their favs needed to do... heck I was hoping to see T-bone, Teach, Foley, Special K... Mad Max...

I wish you could have seen the Mosh Pit on the starting line. Jon O took a beating! And then there was the end of the track antics that were pretty funny! I think you were good luck for the Kalitta team, Karl! Thanks for being there!:D

And someone mentioned Mike Edwards earlier, word around the campfire is he doesn't get interviewed because of his constant mentions of JC. Apparently he was asked to "tone down" the religious content, but I guess he refused. Hence, no interviews. Gotta admire a man who will stick to his convictions.

If this has truly happened, then whoever called that shot at ESPN should be ashamed of themselves. I"m not necessarily a Mike Edwards fan, but they don't seem to come much nicer than this guy.

But to add to the countdown/boycotting stuff, it disappoints me a little that the majority of the bitching/threatening to boycott doesn't really pick up any steam until the countdown has sorted itself out for the final leg. Everyone knew what was going down when the season started, so if there were going to be any boycotts, it should've happened right off the bat. Not when you find out that you're not going to make it. I'll tell you something else, I'm not sure much is going to change in the near future. It appears, to me at least, that there is more excitement to the casual fan (which is the demographic drag racing needs to reach to go to the next level) with this deal than before. There are people I work with that are coming up and talking to me about what's going on with Drag Racing that have never talked to me about the sport in the 18 years I've been there.

Like the notorious PJ, I'm a purist myself and not a big fan of the new format. But I'm afraid it may be around for awhile.

Sean D

Hmmmmm........maybe Connie couldn't hear them asking!!! :D Drag racing has some effect on the hearing!

747's have the same impact too Suzy!:D the Nitro can be blamed for his PASTY WHITE LEGS!!!:eek: (I always fear the Mile High's because that seems to be the race CONRAD BREAKS OUT THOSE SHORTS!!!)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back