Jim Jannard ? (1 Viewer)

Maybe a little known fact but this site was named after the Scotty Cannon and Oakley program. Scotty had the "Killer red 'mater" on his ProMods. When we came to the NHRA Funny car scene in 1999, we painted that 'mater (tomato) yellow and called it the "nitromater". Jerrod was about to start this site and asked if it was OK to call it nitromater.com. Of course we said yes.

I loved my time with Scotty and just wish we had given him a faster car to work with. He is quite a competitor, has a big heart... and is a great story-teller. Just don't piss him off. :)

Jim

Hey Jim, seeing you are from the great northwest. You a unlimited hydroplane fan ? Everybody I know from there seems go nuts over them.

Hey Jim, I have been trying to find a high gloss "sleep tight" poster that had the red smoke on it. I recall seeing one somewhere, but havent found one. Am I crazy? Do you or anyone on the site know where i may be able to acquire one?

Jim, glad to see you've checked in again and are still following the sport. :) I remember how this place got named too, been on here since 1999. :eek:

Maybe a little known fact but this site was named after the Scotty Cannon and Oakley program. Scotty had the "Killer red 'mater" on his ProMods. When we came to the NHRA Funny car scene in 1999, we painted that 'mater (tomato) yellow and called it the "nitromater". Jerrod was about to start this site and asked if it was OK to call it nitromater.com. Of course we said yes.

I loved my time with Scotty and just wish we had given him a faster car to work with. He is quite a competitor, has a big heart... and is a great story-teller. Just don't piss him off. :)

Jim

(and is a great story-teller. Just don't piss him off. :) )

That is so true. One late night at Pomona, myself and Adam Rhoades were on a golf cart, trolling for beers, and we came upon Scotty, Paul Smith, and Jerry Toliver. Scotty started telling the story about his first f/c, and how it wouldn't go straight, but it was told only how Scotty could say it. I had tears running from my eyes, and was laughing so hard my stomach was sore. Good times, for sure.

coyote OUT

Scotty will always hold a special place in my heart - this Texas girl was just too far from South Carolina to make it work, but, man did we ever have some good times. Jim, if you talk to Scotty, tell him hi and I hope his back is doing good. I miss the Killer Red Mater and all the fun sh*t that went along with it! And, yep, DON"T piss him off.....................just sayin:eek:

Jim

He with the biggest avatar usually wins... ;)

In all seriousness, there are several people who I believe have been important in the growth of what our little niche sport has become. Winston served as a great ambassador and supporter of NHRA as did Budweiser and several other official sponsors. But, no single brand was as COOL and remains TOP OF MIND than the killer "O".

When Scotty started to support that brand with his 'original killer red mater' in Pro Mod, that's when I bought my first pair of Razor Blades. I thought they were so cool, that I took a summer job working for Sunglass Hut. Although I was given lots of incentive to push R#%-B#N's, my personal belief in the quality of Oakley and because they supported one of my favorite drivers EVER convinced me where to push the product.

THAT is how the Brand and the execution of a brilliant marketing plan effected me.

To this day, I'll ONLY buy Oakley's. Mostly because of Scotty's Killer Red Mater' and Mr. Jannard's support of Drag Racing.

Thanks Jim for your contributions to our little sport. And congrats on your success and your growth of the Red Camera...It's wicked awesome!

BTW...I Still have my original pair of Razor-Blades I bought when I was 18....:cool:

i remember the last page of way back edition of MFM.....rider with old-style
diecut OAKLEY decal sunburnt on chest......harry leary, bobby encinas or
someone from that era?

I met Jim in Dallas one year and he was freakin awesome. Even though he was suffering with the flu, he still took time out of his busy day to talk to my wife and I. He talked so much we finally had to just wish him luck and move on, I felt like I might have been keeping him from something important.

And yes I remember this site from the very beginning. Crazy it's been that long.

Joe... sorry you feel that way. Maybe you caught me on a bad day? If it was something else that gave you that impression, I would love to know. I've always valued my reputation as pretty approachable and easy to get along with.

I still monitor every race but don't go much anymore. I am suffering from hearing loss and a pretty good case of tinnitus. But just because I don't go anymore doesn't mean I'm not interested. As you can see, I still monitor the madness here. :)

Jim

I guess with your buckage if you can't do anything about the hearing problem I might as well forget it.
I do take better precautions since the dammage became noticeable but I assume it's irreversible !
I also assume it is cumulative for those who like loud music and loud cars !
Those who are not affected yet should pay attention ! It's a known hazard associated with the sport !
Oh and Jim if you have a crash helmet on it really cuts out a lot of that noise ! :)

Well Jim's never been anything but nice to me. So....I tend to judge people on how they treat me, more than how they treat others and hearsay. Just sayin....

I recently read of a treatment for this. It in effect trains the brain to ignore, and thus, filter out those particular sounds. Don't know where I read this.

My best to Jim.

P.S. Love my Monster Dogs

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back