It'll eat me alive if I don't go ahead and say it.... (1 Viewer)

John,

I can imagine the weird pronunciations you've heard..LOL! To this day I'm still called Michael. And people always repeat my last name as Markintale. :rolleyes:

So, is it Puh-new-zoe? I hope I didn't hammer it too much..LOL!

They would just have to add a middle initial or something. I've always used my middle initial professionally. My current and previous names were/are 'kinda' common. And the first one DEFINITELY was :)

Yes, and I've wondered how you pronounce half of them. At nitrosource we had a thread going for name pronounciation but I guess nitrosource isn't running?

I got in on that thread, but the site was only active for about 2 days after I got on it. My last name is pronounced with the E silent, Orm. A lot of people look at the spelling and try to pronounce it as it might be pronounced in France, but the origin of the name is English, there are a bunch of Ormes in Great Britain.

I see you have two cars entered in both S/G and S/C for the Mile Highs. Please do try to look me up Jenn. I'll be in the deadline media suite (202), front row next to the CompuLink monitor when I'm not walking the pits.

Bob :)

See, now I would have pronouced the "fare" as "fur."

Yeah, the more people join, the more names I'm seeing that I'd hate to have to take a stab at in front of them. :) Hey, I always thought I had a weird last name. A lot of you people are making me feel good!

Uh...how do you pronounce yer first name Ron?:D

I got in on that thread, but the site was only active for about 2 days after I got on it. My last name is pronounced with the E silent, Orm. A lot of people look at the spelling and try to pronounce it as it might be pronounced in France, but the origin of the name is English, there are a bunch of Ormes in Great Britain.

I see you have two cars entered in both S/G and S/C for the Mile Highs. Please do try to look me up Jenn. I'll be in the deadline media suite (202), front row next to the CompuLink monitor when I'm not walking the pits.

Bob :)

I'll be the one running around like a chicken with my head cut off after those four cars.

So, I wonder what's going to happen when Jerrod and Shannon get an application for membership from someone with the same name as an already-existing member like Paul Miller or Doug Palmer (for instance)?

That's right. Isn't there a CIFCA driver over here who has the same name as an alcohol funny car driver (sorry, "methanol funny car" so you Brits can understand it, LOL) in the UK? Thought they were both on the previous mater. I thought about starting a thread just to see which Brit was the first one to make it onto the new mater.

I would have just added "Emporor" in front of my name. (inside joke for those who know :) )

I'm glad everyone took this the right way. I know we gotta be respectful and all but, it just seemed like everyone's walking on eggs too much. Hope we can still have a sense of humor here.

I'm glad some of you are explaining how to pronounce your names, otherwise I'd spend years mentally doing it wrong every time I'd read it here. :)

That's right. Isn't there a CIFCA driver over here who has the same name as an alcohol funny car driver (sorry, "methanol funny car" so you Brits can understand it, LOL) in the UK? Thought they were both on the previous mater.
Correct! My son Paul Miller drives CIFCA but we already have a Paul Miller registered so his brother Buzzz (another CIFCA driver) will have to speak for him? Paul spends a lot of his posting/reading site on race boat sites. He's F/C Pilot over there.

My last name is pronounced Rocky-peaso. I always say it rockypeaso, otherwise someone thinks my first name is Rocky and my last name is Peaso. Which is funny, 'cuz my nickname at work is Rocky (spelled Raqui;) ) so I don't get mixed up with the other Kellys in the office:rolleyes: .

And I still say Kelly Holmes' maiden name is pronounced honez, just because I like things to be Spanish:p

Hey, you're the one where some generation got lazy and left the "D" out.
Hey RD... or is that Artie... or, I know, Mr. Dunlap

Mine's Stall Cup... but you can call me Sir. Ya didn't call Saturday.. I was all ready for breakfast too... :(

L8tr (think that's how my kids say later)

Heh, it's not Smith, Brown or Jones, but try getting a domain name from GoDaddy with my name!
Even spelling my first name with a K (blame my mother, alright?), Kris Hill is such a common name, that even if you do a google search on me, it'll take you a number of clicks before you get to any of my articles with any of the various papers I've written for during the past six years.

Even with such a simple name -- it's eight letter and two syllables -- people mess it up! I've been called Kim many times. Or when I leave messages on people's voice mail if I don't talk reeeeaaaaallll slow, they think I said my name is Crystal ... argh! I made a point of taking a long pause on my work voice mail, "Hi, you've reached Kris....Hill, staff writer for the Covington/Maple Valley Reporter...blah blah blah."

The best, though, was last summer. Our HOA decided to hire a management company to deal with the finances and other crap. They sent us a letter and it said "Jason and Kris Hillyer". They added a whole friggin' syllable! How did that happen?

Hill is my married name. My maiden name was Nichols. People managed to spell that wrong all the time. Nickels, Nicholas, Nicols, Nicholson, Nicklaus, and so on.

Speaking of people with the same name, my husband went to the University of Washington to take one business class so he could get his degree...it's a long story. Anyway, that was early 2003. Somehow, the UW Alumni Association thinks he's the Jason Hill who graduated in 2001 with an art degree...despite the fact he took an accounting class in 2003. Sigh.

That's probably the same Jason Hill who went to a different high school in our area, but graduated the same year as my husband. We got reunion notices last summer for this other guy -- same middle initial, too! -- and I finally had to call the organizers and tell them they had the wrong guy.

It is amazing how complicated life can be when you have a simple, common name.

Just call me, Quill, OK? LOL

Hey RD... or is that Artie... or, I know, Mr. Dunlap

Mine's Stall Cup... but you can call me Sir. Ya didn't call Saturday.. I was all ready for breakfast too... :(

L8tr (think that's how my kids say later)

PM'd you my apology. I figured out later in the week that I could go out of the way on my way home and catch Virgil's deal in Wilkesboro and forgot about everything else. :rolleyes:

"Same name" reminds me of that "Guy" in England who got put on the air by mistake. He's a cab driver who shows up for a regular job interview and they think he's an IT expert of the same first name who's supposed to be there for a live broadcast on the subject, so the put the wrong person on! Hilarious the way he winged it through.

What a coincidence...

Heh, it's not Smith, Brown or Jones, but try getting a domain name from GoDaddy with my name!
Even spelling my first name with a K (blame my mother, alright?), Kris Hill is such a common name, that even if you do a google search on me, it'll take you a number of clicks before you get to any of my articles with any of the various papers I've written for during the past six years.

It is amazing how complicated life can be when you have a simple, common name.

Just call me, Quill, OK? LOL

Hey QuillHill,

I always wondered what your screen name was about? Should have been smart enough to figure the quill part out.

I'm the artist (not much of one) formerly know as Drag_fan_too, in case you are wondering, and my wife's maiden name was Chris Hill, so she can relate to you I'm sure. She liked having such a short name although can't speak for whether she always liked having Hill for the last name. She had to think awhile about changing it believe me. Another coincidence is one of my brothers married a Kris, and he met her around the same time I met my wife so we have both spellings in the family now. Can you say konfusing?

Anyway, welcome back to the 'Mater, as in the New Nitromater.

~Kurt
_____

Aka: Drag_fan_too

LOL, actual names are revealing some things about old screen names. I always thought Zappy's was somehow electrical related.

In 35 years, no one has ever mispronounced my name or asked me to spell it for them. How boring is that? :eek:

i have a friend charles smith aka charlie and he hates it when people call him smitty or chaz he always gets all freaked out and i tell him to relax:D people just do that to some people i guess?
i mean somebody you never met comes up you tell them your name and 5 minutes later the are calling you chuck or smitty ? never did understand that.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back