is the high elevation really that bad at Bandimere? (1 Viewer)

That's what makes Denver such a unique race. NOBODY runs thier car here like they do anywhere else. They change just about everything but the paint jobs. Aside from the pure sportsmanship and mechanical challenge, you have a top notch facility that is absolutely relentless in thier pursuit of giving every single ticket-buyer thier money's worth. Not just at the nationals, but all year long. It all shakes out to be just a wonderful experience.
Heck, I know I'm nuts; but I actually think it'd be kind of exciting to see the race moved to a little bit later in the tour, make it to where it's a "Countdown" track. (Granted not too late, becuase at the Denver airport in the past, we've deiced planes here.... before Labor Day!)

I remember when Ray Higley was still alive, he told me he quit running up there because it's WAY to expensive! You hurt twice as many parts up there as anywhere else.

Even at MonsterJam inside the climate-controlled Pepsi Center, they were complaining about how the trucks are affected by the altitude.

I just need to throw in my two cents.....

I'm not a racer, just a fan, however the elevation at Bandimere Speedway has nothing on living in Flagstaff, AZ. 7000 foot elevation and that is just in the downtown area! Try walking up a small flight of stairs without getting winded even if you are in shape!

I lived there for a few years coming from Southern California and talk about a change!

The Arizona Cardinals actually train up there in the summer! Crazy!

Anyhow, a little off topic but just my 2 cents. :)

Last edited:
Even at MonsterJam inside the climate-controlled Pepsi Center, they were complaining about how the trucks are affected by the altitude.

I remember back in the 80's taking my GTI down to Phoenix from Albuq. and the performance difference was HUGE! Felt like it had another 25 HP!

--if you pick up (don't laugh, I have seen it happen!)

Umm....isn't that a result of that bottle of 'stuff' hidden in the car?? :D Huh? What? I wasn't supposed to say anything? Next time tell me these things....:eek::D

(If you need to arrange a break in of your shop, PM me...I know 'people'.....:eek:)

In my opinion the best way to describe racing at Denver is to keep your nose closed all day and try to work LOL

By the way the race track is ok but pitting for Super stock passed the end of the track keeps me from running there even when the altitude is 10,000 from above sea level.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
.....Meanwhile In the Thread titled... "Is the High Elevation really that bad at Bandimere?"

Like Greg said... it's a One word answer... "YES". My 1st pass up on the hill about 3 years ago, was in a super comp dragster, without the stop that ran 8.60's UP ON THE HILL. It was just like the class cars At Frank Hawley's Drag Racing school, except the chip for the Tranny brake was set at 5,400 and Not 2,500 like at the class. The Density can RAPIDLY Change up here. From 9400' to 10500 within an hour or two. Heck, I remember a test night up on the hill a few years ago, where we were running a CLUB CLASH, and the weather when we showed up was about 60 and sunny. Once 1st round came up, and I was ready to race in my buddy's 70 Chevelle, the weather had changed to 45 and Cloudy. The Density changed 1500'! The car was running solid 13.50's all day long....then 1st round, We checked the AIR, and dialed in 13.60...It ran strong...to a sluggish 13.87!!! Oh, and when I came to the stripe, (Which Believe it or not, I won that round, because the other guy Missed it just as much)....IT WAS SNOWING!!!!

So, racing on the Hill is a Science. Just ask Mr. Johnson (Denny) or Danny Gruninger, Jenn Jaramillo, or anyone who has SUCESSFULLY RACED up here what kind of MADNESS, it is to run the car.
For the PRO'S.. The Pro Stock cars Actually have COMPLETLY DIFFERENT SET-UP'S for the hill... From MOTOR TO REAR END GEARS!!! The Nitro Cars, Adjust the wing's...add the Nitro, boost the blower...and many other things just to get the darn things down the track. When you win the Mile High's...YOU EARN THAT VICTORY!

Timmah!

True, T-Char... Again I say - even my current street/everyday driver car, a supercharged Grand Prix GTP.... acts totally different in this air. Infact I have it modded for this altitude compensation specifically, by using a different air-fuel mixture/timing chip, ignition, octane booster, hot plugs, air mass sensor, cold-air intake, etc etc. (like a TRUE Crew Chief I won't disclose all my secrets!). But, there's no way that thing will act this way down at sea level at a place like Topeka, Houston or wherever......I'd definately have to change up some things.

How about the Prock Rocket, Jimmy holds track ET record in FC with Robert (4.79) and Top Fuel with Joe Amato (4.58) from 1999!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

It was tweaked up that night!!

If you think Bandimere is a tuning nightmare, Try this.

The 86th Annual Pikes Peak International Hill Climb
Race to the Clouds

156 twisting turns

12.4 miles up America’s Mountain

The Pikes Peak International Hill Climb is the second oldest motor sports race in America and a long-standing tradition in Colorado Springs and the Pikes Peak Region. First competed in 1916 and this year marks the 86th running of the "Race to the Clouds". I n 2008, the race will take place on Sunday July 20th race related events all week long. Fan Fest, is expected to draw over 35,000 participations will move to Friday July 18th in Downtown Colorado Springs.

The race is run on a 12.42 mile course that begins at 9,390 feet and finishes at the 14,110 foot summit of America’s Mountain; Pikes Peak! As the drivers climb toward the summit, the thin air slows reflexes and saps muscle strength. The thin air also robs engines of 30% of their power at the summit. Competitors and vehicles must be in top shape simply to finish...let alone win!

How about the Prock Rocket, Jimmy holds track ET record in FC with Robert (4.79) and Top Fuel with Joe Amato (4.58) from 1999!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

It was tweaked up that night!!

That 4.58 from Amato was the only time in NHRA history that NHRA had ever run 3 Pro session's in one day!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back