Interesting view on the Big 3 (2 Viewers)

PJ

Staff Member
Staff member
Administrator
Nitro Member
I saw this and thought that I would share, its worth the read

Incredible editorial from a Ford Dealer in the Pittsburgh Region….

Attached is a well written "Letter to the Editor" from Elkins Fordland.

Editor:
As I watch the coverage of the fate of the U.S. auto industry, one alarming and frustrating fact hits me right between the eyes. The fate of our nation's economic survival is in the hands of some congressmen who are completely out of touch and act without knowledge of an industry that affects almost every person in our nation. The same lack of knowledge is shared with many journalists whom are irresponsible when influencing the opinion of millions of viewers.

Sen. Richard Shelby of Alabama has doomed the industry, calling it a dinosaur. No Mr. Shelby, you are the dinosaur, with ideas stuck in the '70s, '80s and '90s. You and the uninformed journalist and senators that hold onto myths that are not relevant in today's world.

When you say that the Big Three build vehicles nobody wants to buy, you must have overlooked that GM outsold Toyota by about 1.2 million vehicles in the U.S. and Ford outsold Honda by 850,000 and Nissan by 1.2 million in the U.S. GM was the world's No. 1 automaker beating Toyota by 3,000 units.

When you claim inferior quality comes from the Big Three, did you realize that Chevy makes the Malibu and Ford makes the Fusion that were both rated over the Camry and Accord by J.D. Power independent survey on initial quality? Did you bother to read the Consumer Report that rated Ford on par with good Japanese automakers.

Did you realize Big Three's gas guzzlers include the 33 mpg Malibu that beats the Accord. And for '09 Ford introduces the Hybrid Fusion whose 39 mpg is the best midsize, beating the Camry Hybrid. Ford's Focus beats the Corolla and Chevy's Cobalt beats the Civic.

When you ask how many times are we going to bail them out you must be referring to 1980. The only Big Three bailout was Chrysler, who paid back $1 billion, plus interest. GM and Ford have never received government aid.

When you criticize the Big Three for building so many pickups, surely you've noticed the attempts Toyota and Nissan have made spending billions to try to get a piece of that pie. Perhaps it bothers you that for 31 straight years Ford's F-Series has been the best selling vehicle. Ford and GM have dominated this market and when you see the new '09 F-150 you'll agree this won't change soon.

Did you realize that both GM and Ford offer more hybrid models than Nissan or Honda. Between 2005 and 2007, Ford alone has invested more than $22 billion in research and development of technologies such as Eco Boost, flex fuel, clean diesel, hybrids, plug in hybrids and hydrogen cars.

It's 2008 and the quality of the vehicles coming out of Detroit are once again the best in the world.
Perhaps Sen. Shelby isn't really that blind. Maybe he realizes the quality shift to American. Maybe it's the fact that his state of Alabama has given so much to land factories from Honda, Hyundai and Mercedes Benz that he is more concerned about their continued growth than he is about the people of our country. Sen. Shelby's disdain for "government subsidies" is very hypocritical. In the early '90s he was the driving force behind a $253 million incentive package to Mercedes. Plus, Alabama agreed to purchase 2,500 vehicles from Mercedes. While the bridge loan the Big Three is requesting will be paid back, Alabama's $180,000-plus per job was pure incentive. Sen. Shelby, not only are you out of touch, you are a self-serving hypocrite, who is prepared to ruin our nation because of lack of knowledge and lack of due diligence in making your opinions and decisions.

After 9/11, the Detroit Three and Harley Davidson gave $40 million-plus emergency vehicles to the recovery efforts. What was given to the 9/11 relief effort by the Asian and European Auto Manufactures? $0 Nada. Zip!

We live in a world of free trade, world economy and we have not been able to produce products as cost efficiently. While the governments of other auto producing nations subsidize their automakers, our government may be ready to force its demise. While our automakers have paid union wages, benefits and legacy debt, our Asian competitors employ cheap labor. We are at an extreme disadvantage in production cost. Although many UAW concessions begin in 2010, many lawmakers think it's not enough.

Some point the blame to corporate management. I would like to speak of Ford Motor Co. The company has streamlined by reducing our workforce by 51,000 since 2005, closing 17 plants and cutting expenses. Product and future product is excellent and the company is focused on one Ford. This is a company poised for success. Ford product quality and corporate management have improved light years since the nightmare of Jacques Nasser. Thank you Alan Mulally and the best auto company management team in the business.

The financial collapse caused by the secondary mortgage fiasco and the greed of Wall Street has led to a $700 billion bailout of the industry that created the problem. AIG spent nearly $1 million on three company excursions to lavish resorts and hunting destinations. Paulson is saying no to $250 billion foreclosure relief and the whole thing is a mess. So when the Big Three ask for 4 percent of that of the $700 billion, $25 billion to save the country's largest industry, there is obviously oppositions. But does it make sense to reward the culprits of the problem with $700 billion unconditionally, and ignore the victims?

As a Ford dealer, I feel our portion of the $25 billion will never be touched and is not necessary. Ford currently has $29 billion of liquidity. However, the effect of a bankruptcy by GM will hurt the suppliers we all do business with. A Chapter 11 bankruptcy by any manufacture would cost retirees their health care and retirements. Chances are GM would recover from Chapter 11 with a better business plan with much less expense. So who foots the bill if GM or all three go Chapter 11? All that extra health care, unemployment, loss of tax base and some forgiven debt goes back to the taxpayer, us. With no chance of repayment, this would be much worse than a loan with the intent of repayment.

So while it is debatable whether a loan or Chapter 11 is better for the Big Three, a $25 billion loan is definitely better for the taxpayers and the economy of our country.

So I'll end where I began on the quality of the products of Detroit. Before you, Mr. or Ms. Journalist continue to misinform the American public and turn them against one of the great industries that helped build this nation, I must ask you one question. Before you, Mr. or Madam Congressman vote to end health care and retirement benefits for 1 million retirees, eliminate 2.5 million of our nation's jobs, lose the technology that will lead us in the future and create an economic disaster including hundreds of billions of tax dollars lost, I ask this question not in the rhetorical sense. I ask it in the sincere, literal way. Can you tell me, have you driven a Ford lately?

Jim Jackson
Elkins

I saw this and thought that I would share, its worth the read

Incredible editorial from a Ford Dealer in the Pittsburgh Region….

Attached is a well written "Letter to the Editor" from Elkins Fordland.

Editor:
As I watch the coverage of the fate of the U.S. auto industry, one alarming and frustrating fact hits me right between the eyes. The fate of our nation's economic survival is in the hands of some congressmen who are completely out of touch and act without knowledge of an industry that affects almost every person in our nation. The same lack of knowledge is shared with many journalists whom are irresponsible when influencing the opinion of millions of viewers.

Sen. Richard Shelby of Alabama has doomed the industry, calling it a dinosaur. No Mr. Shelby, you are the dinosaur, with ideas stuck in the '70s, '80s and '90s. You and the uninformed journalist and senators that hold onto myths that are not relevant in today's world.

When you say that the Big Three build vehicles nobody wants to buy, you must have overlooked that GM outsold Toyota by about 1.2 million vehicles in the U.S. and Ford outsold Honda by 850,000 and Nissan by 1.2 million in the U.S. GM was the world's No. 1 automaker beating Toyota by 3,000 units.

When you claim inferior quality comes from the Big Three, did you realize that Chevy makes the Malibu and Ford makes the Fusion that were both rated over the Camry and Accord by J.D. Power independent survey on initial quality? Did you bother to read the Consumer Report that rated Ford on par with good Japanese automakers.

Did you realize Big Three's gas guzzlers include the 33 mpg Malibu that beats the Accord. And for '09 Ford introduces the Hybrid Fusion whose 39 mpg is the best midsize, beating the Camry Hybrid. Ford's Focus beats the Corolla and Chevy's Cobalt beats the Civic.

When you ask how many times are we going to bail them out you must be referring to 1980. The only Big Three bailout was Chrysler, who paid back $1 billion, plus interest. GM and Ford have never received government aid.

When you criticize the Big Three for building so many pickups, surely you've noticed the attempts Toyota and Nissan have made spending billions to try to get a piece of that pie. Perhaps it bothers you that for 31 straight years Ford's F-Series has been the best selling vehicle. Ford and GM have dominated this market and when you see the new '09 F-150 you'll agree this won't change soon.

Did you realize that both GM and Ford offer more hybrid models than Nissan or Honda. Between 2005 and 2007, Ford alone has invested more than $22 billion in research and development of technologies such as Eco Boost, flex fuel, clean diesel, hybrids, plug in hybrids and hydrogen cars.

It's 2008 and the quality of the vehicles coming out of Detroit are once again the best in the world.
Perhaps Sen. Shelby isn't really that blind. Maybe he realizes the quality shift to American. Maybe it's the fact that his state of Alabama has given so much to land factories from Honda, Hyundai and Mercedes Benz that he is more concerned about their continued growth than he is about the people of our country. Sen. Shelby's disdain for "government subsidies" is very hypocritical. In the early '90s he was the driving force behind a $253 million incentive package to Mercedes. Plus, Alabama agreed to purchase 2,500 vehicles from Mercedes. While the bridge loan the Big Three is requesting will be paid back, Alabama's $180,000-plus per job was pure incentive. Sen. Shelby, not only are you out of touch, you are a self-serving hypocrite, who is prepared to ruin our nation because of lack of knowledge and lack of due diligence in making your opinions and decisions.

After 9/11, the Detroit Three and Harley Davidson gave $40 million-plus emergency vehicles to the recovery efforts. What was given to the 9/11 relief effort by the Asian and European Auto Manufactures? $0 Nada. Zip!

We live in a world of free trade, world economy and we have not been able to produce products as cost efficiently. While the governments of other auto producing nations subsidize their automakers, our government may be ready to force its demise. While our automakers have paid union wages, benefits and legacy debt, our Asian competitors employ cheap labor. We are at an extreme disadvantage in production cost. Although many UAW concessions begin in 2010, many lawmakers think it's not enough.

Some point the blame to corporate management. I would like to speak of Ford Motor Co. The company has streamlined by reducing our workforce by 51,000 since 2005, closing 17 plants and cutting expenses. Product and future product is excellent and the company is focused on one Ford. This is a company poised for success. Ford product quality and corporate management have improved light years since the nightmare of Jacques Nasser. Thank you Alan Mulally and the best auto company management team in the business.

The financial collapse caused by the secondary mortgage fiasco and the greed of Wall Street has led to a $700 billion bailout of the industry that created the problem. AIG spent nearly $1 million on three company excursions to lavish resorts and hunting destinations. Paulson is saying no to $250 billion foreclosure relief and the whole thing is a mess. So when the Big Three ask for 4 percent of that of the $700 billion, $25 billion to save the country's largest industry, there is obviously oppositions. But does it make sense to reward the culprits of the problem with $700 billion unconditionally, and ignore the victims?

As a Ford dealer, I feel our portion of the $25 billion will never be touched and is not necessary. Ford currently has $29 billion of liquidity. However, the effect of a bankruptcy by GM will hurt the suppliers we all do business with. A Chapter 11 bankruptcy by any manufacture would cost retirees their health care and retirements. Chances are GM would recover from Chapter 11 with a better business plan with much less expense. So who foots the bill if GM or all three go Chapter 11? All that extra health care, unemployment, loss of tax base and some forgiven debt goes back to the taxpayer, us. With no chance of repayment, this would be much worse than a loan with the intent of repayment.

So while it is debatable whether a loan or Chapter 11 is better for the Big Three, a $25 billion loan is definitely better for the taxpayers and the economy of our country.

So I'll end where I began on the quality of the products of Detroit. Before you, Mr. or Ms. Journalist continue to misinform the American public and turn them against one of the great industries that helped build this nation, I must ask you one question. Before you, Mr. or Madam Congressman vote to end health care and retirement benefits for 1 million retirees, eliminate 2.5 million of our nation's jobs, lose the technology that will lead us in the future and create an economic disaster including hundreds of billions of tax dollars lost, I ask this question not in the rhetorical sense. I ask it in the sincere, literal way. Can you tell me, have you driven a Ford lately?

Jim Jackson
Elkins

Wow! Extremely well written and documented--hope someone is listening!

Shelby and the rest of his cronies in Washington are total idiots. As spoken in the letter, Wall Street greed along with Washington pressure on bad home loans, along with fuel costs through the roof (which they did nothing about) started this whole mess. General Motors and Ford are American icons--probably no body on the planet has not heard of both companies. I assure you they employ tons more people both directly and indirectly than any bank or insurance company ever thought of. The circus made by the media of the CEO's flying in on private jets was also ridiculous. Seen Ted Kennedy in coach lately? I doubt it. These companies need to be preserved and kept out of bankruptcy court. I just hope our "leadership" (and boy is that using the term loosely) can climb down out of their ivory towers and see that.:mad:

GM and Ford are American Icons, but also INTERNATIONAL companies- where is the financial support from Europe, Asia and South America, which are as much involved with these companies as our Government is? Why is it that American tax dollars will be used to support companies that have to keep the doors open around the world (like AIG and BofA?)?

Last edited:
So will someone explain as to why the big 3 are paying laid off workers 95% (I think that is the number) of their salary for 2.5 years while staying at home? Also, so I read that the hourly rate for a big 3 union worker that includes benefits is somewhere around $90.00/hr and Toyota is $40 something/hr? Is that misreported? Tell me why these Corporations need 4+ corporate jets when at one time I know much larger corporations had only 2. Sorry, but when you have CEOs flying in these jets asking for money is total arrogance. Just because they sell more doesn't mean thay know how to run their business. The bottom line doesn't lie.

Sorry, I only know what I read.

I had an interesting conversation a while back with service manger for a dealership in Houston that heard me say I was in the market for a new Suburban. I got out of that market real quick when he said the only extended warranty I needed was for the electronics package. He said that he is swamped with electronics work because it is junk. Gee, that is the kind of vehicle I want. Something I am paying for to sit in the shop. No, thankyou.

Last edited:
haha...initial quality. what happens after the warranty expires is a crapshoot.

how long has the prius been out? and you're just now introducing new hybrids?

how many of today's private sector jobs come with free health care for life? not many.

what about the jobs bank, where workers play video games for 95% of their salaries?

make mine honda or toyota.

make mine honda or toyota.

Then move to Tokyo. I'm sure you'll love it there.......:mad:

(hint: the vast majority of people in Tokyo don't own cars. They use mass transit. Transit systems paid for by money we sent over there by buying Japanese cars.)

Last edited:
The only thing wrong with the Big three are three letters " UAW ".
Present benefits are based on a 49 percent share in the market they have less than half that now.

Retirees retiring at 55 over the last thirty years add up when added to other benefits and retiree costs.

The companies have for years been held hostage to the Unions and they could not adjust to the market .
Sell less Hell's yes cut pay or benefits Hell's no.

Internal Unions let those affected set rules and pay without having outsiders with their own agendas setting the rules. That's my own opinion .

I thought the Camaro was delayed but this is pretty new from the plant in California that builds them.
I'll take a V 8 in Blue and throw in a hybrid Silverado too!
I wonder if it has Northstar Technology too ?
Pretty soon I think all V 8 will have that technology in the Generals menu.

Untitled Document

So will someone explain as to why the big 3 are paying laid off workers 95% (I think that is the number) of their salary for 2.5 years while staying at home? Also, so I read that the hourly rate for a big 3 union worker that includes benefits is somewhere around $90.00/hr and Toyota is $40 something/hr?

Can you say UAW?

Then move to Tokyo. I'm sure you'll love it there.......:mad:

(hint: the vast majority of people in Tokyo don't own cars. They use mass transit. Transit systems paid for by money we sent over there by buying Japanese cars.)

actually, in purchasing 2 honda civics, i probably helped a family in marysville, ohio, where they were built. my chevy silverado was built in mexico.

not to mention, my civics will have much better resale value than any cobalt gm could think up.

It's an age-old argument of who's better:
Foreign or domestic
and, the argument will live on as long as both exist.

For me, I'll continue purchasing GM vehicles as long as I can. There is nothing to compete with my Suburban, Duramax Crew Cab Dually or even my Corvette. The Vette has foreign competitors but not without a ridiculous price.
I heard it said once that if every vehicle purchased in America for an entire year was produced by an American auto maker that we could wipe out our entire trade deficit in that one year.

It reminds me of the bumper sticker from the 80s that read:
"Out of work & Hungry?
Eat your foreign car"

There's a lot to fix before bailing the big three out in my humble opinion but in the long run it's not only worth it, but vital to our economy, period!

worst thing our gov't. can do is give more free money to big 3
without proper stipulations; same as has already happened to
AIG and big banks.

our gov't. said AIG and big banks needed money yesterday or the world
would stop - crooks......almost all of them (gov't./AIG/banks).

in order for the big 3 to take large cash infushion and jump start a new
profit cycle, something within mgm't. and workers has to change,
obviously or they would not be in this position already.
afraid this will not happen - concessions by mgm't and UAW will be
pathetically small and eventually someone will merge or be bought out
by other manufacturer. (stock takeover).....actually gov't bailout money
mite actually put someone in a favorable position for buyout or takeover.

too much pay and too little work and/or too little profit.
this is not the first time this has happened to large manufacturer, and
won't be the last.

So will someone explain as to why the big 3 are paying laid off workers 95% (I think that is the number) of their salary for 2.5 years while staying at home?

Wall street Journal article I read today was talkign 85% for those in the "Job Banks". Which from my understanding is pay they take while waiting for a job to open up equal to their previous job. Which is harder to take because they can't hardly fire anybody for substandard performance and they can't just replace a worker with anybody, sometimes holding a job until the person can get back to it.

65% of their pay for buy out retirement and 6-12 months full salary severance pay.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back