MOPAR to fully back 3 Drag Pack Challengers (1 Viewer)

ironpony

Nitro Member
354 CI supercharged Hemi's

Something we can actually walk in and buy.

Is this the next true Pro Stock class???

Is this the way it was meant to be???

GM, Ford, Chrysler in a true manufacturers battle??

"The Mopar Dodge Challenger Drag Pak gives you a supercharged 354-cubic-inch Hemi race car with a cast-iron block, forged steel crankshaft, Mopar camshaft and a custom engine management system for an eye-watering $109,354. Or, for almost $10,000 less, the naturally aspirated 426-cubic-inch featuring an aluminum block with pressed-in steel liners and aluminum cylinder heads can be yours at $99,426.

they’re building 60 total. Thirty five of those will come with the supercharged engine, with the remaining 25 packing the naturally aspirated 426 Hemi engine"

Something a lot of us can't actually walk in and buy.....oh well

Now lets hope Ford and Chevy follow Mopar ( although Ford is producing cobra jets, not sure how they compare to the Mopar referenced above and doesn't Chevy have a drag car platform too

Now lets hope Ford and Chevy follow Mopar ( although Ford is producing cobra jets, not sure how they compare to the Mopar referenced above and doesn't Chevy have a drag car platform too

Chevy has the COPO Camaro; in fact they've had it since 2012/2013, and since 2008 Ford has had the Cobra Jet. Both platforms still continue.
https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/copo-camaro.html

http://performance.ford.com/enthusi...rag-racer-unveiled-at-sema--continues-ev.html

I meant a Hemi Challenger, LS? Camaro, ???? Mustang, you can at least relate to the class as opposed to Pro Stocks that need a decal on the windshield to know what they are.

Also 100,000 to go racing and be competitive is a lot less than millions in PS.

354 CI supercharged Hemi's

Something we can actually walk in and buy.

Is this the next true Pro Stock class???

Is this the way it was meant to be???

GM, Ford, Chrysler in a true manufacturers battle??

It would work with PS chassis but rules would have to be stiff on engine mods to keep cost down. Some how they would have to phase in because these teams have a big investment in current motors, they would need time to use up inventory which probably wouldn't take that long. Similar to what AJ suggested to NHRA and they said no, I personally think it work well and manufactures would come back.

The new 2017 Duramax in the 2500HD and 3500 Chevy Silverado and GMC trucks has 910 ft lbs of toque. :)

Just thought I'd throw that in.

Who won?
Dang if I know.....couldn't see the score boards!

"He's all over the race track!" Really? How could you tell?

No fair! His soot covered my timing beams!

And....once Fox starts national TV coverage, the gov't steps in and puts the ky-bosh on it

Last edited:
2017 Cummins 900 ft lbs,......from idle not screaming away
Cummins 500,000 miles easy, GM 200,000 boom

Yayayay I know GM has an Allison trans. the only part that does not break.

Fastest and quickest Super Stock car is a Cobra Jet, the fastest and quickest Stocker is a COPO. Mopar is really stepping up its game.

2017 Cummins 900 ft lbs,......from idle not screaming away
Cummins 500,000 miles easy, GM 200,000 boom

Yayayay I know GM has an Allison trans. the only part that does not break.

My Dad had a Cummins Ram ('09 I believe). Loved the motor, but the truck was JUNK. So many little stupid issues like window regulators, central locking system, stereo died and had to be replaced, had to have keys re-coded several times to get the truck to start, check engine light all the time for carbon trap cleaning cycle.

When the warranty was up he looked at the GMC/Duramax/Allison combo but those are apparently made of gold (prices are crazy), so my Dad is driving a F250 Power Stroke and he LOVES it. Had it since 2013 with zero issues.

Kinda funny you say that, I worked at a repair shop and all that I saw were Ford Power Strokes towed in left and right for Diesel engine failures, High pressure pumps, f.i. control module failures, Injectors, etc. As for the Duramax, Saw 1.. had low compression in a couple cylinders, that's all.
The Cummins, reliable also but the Ford 6.0 twin turbo..1 main and the other a kicker turbo was Ford's abortion.

I've done it. Believe it or not, it's easier to pull a motor on a Ford truck with the cab off than scratching your head wondering where to start.
Besides, once you done it that way, cab off, you won't go back to the old, blowing your back out leaning over the fender technique again! Trust me (and no I'm not Joe Isuzu, if you remember those commercials from back in the day)

I've always had F350s but when Ford went to the 6.0 I got a Duramax. Best truck I've ever owned. I believe if you have a Cummins and you keep it long enough, that's all you'll have left. The body will desinigrate.
I will look at Ford again now with the new engine. .
Everytime I see a Ford/Motorhome I think how the hell do you work on it. Because the cab can't be raised.

My Dad had a Cummins Ram ('09 I believe). Loved the motor, but the truck was JUNK. So many little stupid issues like window regulators, central locking system, stereo died and had to be replaced, had to have keys re-coded several times to get the truck to start, check engine light all the time for carbon trap cleaning cycle.

When the warranty was up he looked at the GMC/Duramax/Allison combo but those are apparently made of gold (prices are crazy), so my Dad is driving a F250 Power Stroke and he LOVES it. Had it since 2013 with zero issues.

I think RAM has improved a lot since then. I have a '14 RAM 2500 with the Cummins and LOVE it. All the luxuries of home and with 850 ft/lbs torque pulls the race car/trailer like nothing is there.

An old diesel mechanic was admiring it at the car wash and said if you do regular oil changes and fuel filters the Cummins will run over 500,000 miles easily.

Last edited:
From what I read and researched, the emissions equipment on modern diesels is the most troublesome area in terms of reliability. On the diesel forums people recommend doing things like the EGR delete and DEF delete, once you do that you'll have a bullet proof engine that last for 100's of thousands of miles. Plus, people have recorded better mileage without that stuff on anyway.

We are a Ford family on the truck side. My youngest son got an F150 when he was 14 with 125k miles on it. It got to 180k miles and got tired. (he was close to 17 by then) It was a 3v 5.4 4x4 and just too much for him mechanically to learn on, so I got him a basket case 66 GMC and he learned from the ground up. Within a year the cab was coming off the F150 ... it now has a low compression very stout long block with a Roush supercharger pushing 13 psi of boost .... when he has tires that hook on it, it will do pretty good keeping up with my Stingray. He got bored with that and recently took my wife's 4x4 Excursion ... I regularly drive the F150 to work and it has 230k miles on the odometer .... the entire drivetrain is fresh, and he even took the entire dash off once to replace the heater core (which turned out not to be the issue ... fooled by a hose leak squirting water into the heater core area) ... it is a blast to drive, but I'll have to admit that a new model ecoboost F150 with no load and a light driver is not something you treat casually at the stop lights.

ARP head studs and a few other mods and the 4x4 Excursion is now like a 747 ... its huge and it'll pull on almost anything (and the damn think even sounds like a turbine) .... 180k miles it I think it'll go nearly forever with the week links in the 6.0 addressed. The now 22 year old has come a long way mechanically .... and you pull the whole body off when you work on an Excursion motor. I know he can have the cab off his F150 in under 3 hours .... he's done it a bunch.

Me and his 23 year old brother have new generation 6.7's (F350 dually and F250, both 4x4's), 60k trouble free miles on both .... still bone stock but after you ride in the Excursion for a bit it makes you want to buy more 5" stainless tube and some mandrill 180's and start making them the way God intended.

And yes, the freed Excursion gets 4mpg more than the newer Ford brothers (17 mpg highway at about 85 mph .... we live in Texas and its almost 600 miles from college, and at 85 you are really just keeping up with the flow).

And I just OK'd an LS going into the slammed 66 GMC shortbed .... sold the stingray and this thing definitely already comes close to scratching that same itch...

Were now living in the " muscle car era " for diesels . Whats happening to them now with all the epa mandates is the same as we all went through in the 80's with our small block Chevys gettng smog pumps & a huge array of crap on them , they were horrible motors back then but they did get better . Iirc , 03' was the beginning of diesel emissions mandates & there has been some learning curves for all the engine manufactures . Cummins , Crysler & Bosch are all in legal battles & finger pointing , While Ford has handed Navistar a huge invoice for all the problems they incurred with the 6.0 . Caterpillar was smart a threw their hands in the air several years ago & quit selling on highway motors all together , giving their engineers time to develop a viable engine & build a priprotory truck .
The good news now is that all 3 are in a horsepower / economy battle & every year they do get better . Heck , i can remember back when a Peterbilt with a 290 small cam cummins in it as a monster ! Now we have pickups at 440 and 925 lbs of torque . Theres no telling where they will be in 5 more years .
Now, regarding the smoke on the racetrack ... Were working on it & there will be a time when thats gone . The answer is the common rail fuel system , they can make decent power & do it with very little smoke . Right now the biggest downside to the cr fuel systems is the ability to make big hp at higher rpm levels , the mechanical fuel systems are still king of the hill but the cr motors are coming on fast . Now days , 3400 hp with a 6.7l cummins platform is common in the pullng world .

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back