Important question, please respond. (1 Viewer)

john

Nitro Member
Since I consider this forum one of the best I've seen, I want your input on how I should handle the video stuff I shoot at tests.

Do you prefer that I edit my videos so that you see the "raw" product on rpm2night.com? By that I mean, should I do it the way I did the Courtney Force deal today, or do you want me to write a script, voice it and put together a 2 minute "tv package" like you normally see?

For example, I have an Alexis Dejoria piece to put together. Do you want to see the video highlights of the actual test and talking to Jeff Arend "raw." Along with a seperate video interview with Alexis or do you want to see a video production that would just include the best stuff?

I really appreciate you taking time to give me feedback.

Thanks,
JK

X2
But, I'm sure which ever route you choose, the result will be top notch. Thank you for your efforts!

I appreciate it. but, i want to know what you want to see. do you want a reporter telling a story over the video of testing, leading to soundbites, or do you want to see the highlights raw, with a seperate raw interview?

maybe i'll do both, then let you look at it and let me know which you prefer.

at any rate, when you get a chance, check out the front page: rpm2night.com

there you'll find links to the interviews and videos i posted from today's test. tomorrow i'll put up some more video stuff.

i say mix it up, i like both formats !! some reports are more interesting raw but some, in order to be more entertaining and informative, probably need editing or to be scripted. I guess it depends on the subject !!

i say mix it up, i like both formats !! some reports are more interesting raw but some, in order to be more entertaining and informative, probably need editing or to be scripted. I guess it depends on the subject !!

x2, mix it up. John you do a great job with your site, keep it up.

thanks. tomorrow i'll work on a courtney force video feature that would be similar to what you'd have seen on rpm2night the tv show. i'll post the alexis dejoria video in the raw form and then work up a video feature story for wednesday or thursday.

you also have to realize, i'm shooting the video and editing it myself, so it may not be as good quality as you are used to on network or local tv.

i really appreciate the feedback. i really want the rpm2night.com website to work out to be a go-to place for all racing fans!

I prefer raw, homegrown video coverage over highly polished stuff. Just feels more organic.

Bernie, did you check out what i posted today at rpm2night.com on courtney's test? video and interview seperately? is that how you prefer it?

thanks again for responding!

some video highlights with a little information never hurts... dont need a 20 page report to get the point of whats going on....lol

John,

I like the way you did the Courtney piece. Thought it was really cool. Whichever way you choose to go I'm sure it will be great and ill enjoy it either way. I vote for the raw footage though. Thank you once again for the time and effort you put into your site, I thoroughly enjoy it.

Mike.

Bernie, did you check out what i posted today at rpm2night.com on courtney's test? video and interview seperately? is that how you prefer it?

thanks again for responding!

Yeah, John, the Courtney video is great! Makes me feel like I'm there at the track, not watching a Sportscenter clip. Definitely my favorite.

Bernie, that's what I'm struggling with. Should I do it like I've always done it, ie the sportscenter way, or should I try something different. It's a tough decision because it's hard to keep people viewing for more than a few seconds.

I guess i'm going to try to do it both ways, so that I at least give people a choice.

John,

I would prefer tsxt instead of video. I have been to your site a few times but honestly never seem to get through any of the videos. Thats not a reflection upon you, the quality of the video or the subject, its just that I don't want to listen to all the questions, conversations I don't care about. it would be much easier/better for me to be able to read the questions/answers and skip around to get to the points that interest me.

I'm pretty much that way with any news/informational video. I'd rather read than watch.

I understand I'm probably in the minority, just giving some honest feedback.

Bernie, that's what I'm struggling with. Should I do it like I've always done it, ie the sportscenter way, or should I try something different. It's a tough decision because it's hard to keep people viewing for more than a few seconds.

I guess i'm going to try to do it both ways, so that I at least give people a choice.

Either way, you're doing a good job, John! We all appreciate the work you put in and the info. Thanks!

Since I consider this forum one of the best I've seen, I want your input on how I should handle the video stuff I shoot at tests.

Do you prefer that I edit my videos so that you see the "raw" product on rpm2night.com? By that I mean, should I do it the way I did the Courtney Force deal today, or do you want me to write a script, voice it and put together a 2 minute "tv package" like you normally see?

For example, I have an Alexis Dejoria piece to put together. Do you want to see the video highlights of the actual test and talking to Jeff Arend "raw." Along with a seperate video interview with Alexis or do you want to see a video production that would just include the best stuff?

I really appreciate you taking time to give me feedback.

Thanks,
JK

raw is an inside view

John, do it both ways for a short period of time and then ask the same question from us.

I wonder if you'll have the freedom to post raw video on ESPN, even if it is what we like.

The interviews were perfect raw (Force and Worsham). Although not really raw because there was some script to it as you probably had your questions ready.. as a good interviewer should.

The only thing that seemed odd that Im sure many people won't care about is it looked like you did the interview from behind the camera. If it were me being interviewed I would feel weird talking to a camera, but I'm sure the pro's are used to it. At least Del and Force didn't seem to mind.

It is so much better watching those then what you get on the ESPN2 show. It makes the drives seem so much more likable and real. Del comes off as a regular cool dude.

Some of those drivers are forcing a personality that may not be them and it makes them look wierd (Spencer Massey, Terry McMillen) Both of them are trying to be so energetic and wild it is just wierd. Maybe its them... maybe not but I don't remember Spencer being so over the top in IHRA interviews. Some do their natural thing (Doug Kalitta, Warren Johnson, Jim Head) and it makes them more real, more likable.

As for the run, I watched the Force Monday testing. You put it together like NASA TV does when they are running footage of say the space shuttle roll out. It was nearly PERFECT. Its filmed from a perspective that I would see if I had exclusive access to watch the testing. The raw sounds, freedom to walk, and for the most part you cut out when nothing was going on.

Again, not raw, but nicely edited and put together. Raw would be a continuous stream showing the jittery transitions and whatnot.

Only tweak I would say on that particular video is there was a segment of just the car sitting there with the top up that ran for 10 seconds too long or so. And I would have liked you to have viewed the run from in front of the car, next to the wall. I bet you had restrictions though and couldn't do that. A view from the front showing the full burnout, backup, and popping the top off again to make final adjustments. Otherwise perfect.

But then again, for an ESPN segment, it has to be a blend of both. I don't think the typical person watching RPM 2nite would like to watch a 2 min raw clip of a test run, followed by the interview. You probably have to fit in the test run and interview into a 1 minute segment.

Keep the internet raw though.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back