How good is David Rampy? (1 Viewer)

Bluey

Nitro Member
I do not have a great knowledge of the competition class/structure in NHRA Drag Racing, but his name keeps coming up a winner quite often.

Can someone give some info on him and/or his team, does he have a web site?

Can someone give some info on him and/or his team, does he have a web site?

Nope, no website for Rambo. In fact, the last person you'll hear talking about David Rampy is David Rampy. But it's little wonder you've noticed his name popping up. He's the winningest Comp Eliminator racer of all time, he's won NHRA world championships in three different categories (Comp, Super Comp, and Super Gas), and he's won national events in five different classes (Comp, Super Stock, Stock, Super Comp, and Super Gas). In '93 and '94, he also competed in Pro Stock. He's extremely competitive, but probably the friendliest guy you could hope to meet at the races.

How good is David Rampy? DAMN GOOD. He's a good ole boy from here in Alabama and is nice and humble as they come. He will rip your heart out and shake your hand afterwards. I've raced against David in brackets years ago and he's always been just David. Hope this gives you some insight on him.

Thank you to all, a quite remarkable and respected racer. I had no idea he was such a champion.

"True merit, like a river, the deeper it is, the less noise it makes"
Edward Halifax

He is a great person and represents NHRA So called sportsman group semi pro's as best as anyone could i also grew up watching him race in the backwoods in Alabama as a youngster. He was one of my hero's
we salute the alky-shine cups to David:D

On the sidelines in Bama

Rambo is the man. He is probably the greatest sportsman racer ever and like the guys said before me, he is the probably the nicest too.

I would say the best sportsman driver ever.
That is an under statement... more like the best driver ever, period!!

Total the number of round wins required to win National events in Comp, Super Stock, Stock, Super Gas, and Super Comp and compare that to John Force's round wins... and the competition is a heck of lot closer in the sportsman categories!

Rambo is the man. He is probably the greatest sportsman racer ever and like the guys said before me, he is the probably the nicest too.

One of his former cars has been in my garage for the past few years. Unfortunately, his winning ways have not worn off on me! :D

That's it down at Ennis with my son in it to the left.

How good is Rambo? You always have mixed emotions when he's in the next lane. Worried because you know how good he is, but unbelievably proud if you end up winning (which isn't very often).

How good is Rambo? You always have mixed emotions when he's in the next lane. Worried because you know how good he is, but unbelievably proud if you end up winning (which isn't very often).
Your comments carry some serious weight Dave, as they well should! :)

Rampy now has 66 National event wins. He has defeated 58 different drivers in 66 National event wins. 6 drivers got their first National event Wallys in a final round match up in Comp with Rampy, and the caliber of those drivers shows how tough it is to do. Dean Carter, David Billingsley, Rodger Brogdon, Craig Bourgeois, Robert Bailey and Bart Price all got their first Comp Wallys with Rampy in the other lane. That tells me you gotta be pretty damn good to beat Rambo!

I see him as the best ever pure sportsman drag racer. His track record is amazing! :)

I've announced David Rampy in countless rounds of competition, he is always on his game, no matter the class or category.
I've interviewed him numerous times on the winners podium, the 50th national event winners interview was just as humble as any of the ones before or after.
He's invited me to be in his winners circle photos, an invitation that meant a lot to me.
and I've had the opportunity to race him (I've won and lost, both extremely close).

I have nothing but tremendous respect and admiration for the man and his abilities and there are but two words to describe him,

CLASS ACT

Unk

Isn't it past your bedtime?

:D

He's pretty damn good, that's for sure. Didn't he blow up a little of his own index and STILL get the W on the weekend?

Speaking of racing, when are going to see you behind the wheel again?

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back