Harley-Davidson dumps Buell (1 Viewer)

Dave

Nitro Member
I was just having lunch and my local news had a breaking story. It appears that Harley-Davidson is dumping the Buell brand. I was wondering what if any effects would this have on the Buell Pro Stock Bike teams? Anybody heard anything?

Dave

When I was in Chicago back in JUne, I met a guy who's Mother has worked for H/D for over 20 years. He said they have cut WAYY back on production, down to one day shift, freezing raises, etc... Guess this is just Par for the course

That will depend on how the NHRA handles the situation. There is a seven year rule in PSM, which could provide the brand with a buffer for a couple of years.

Buell is owned by HD? When did Buell sell it?

I did not think they had anything to do with it except selling them engines.

Buell is owned by HD? When did Buell sell it?

I did not think they had anything to do with it except selling them engines.

I think it was 1996. We have an S2 Thunderbolt that was one of the last that was built before HD bought Buell. The engine has been somewhat ummm, modified and she definitely flies.

When I was in Chicago back in JUne, I met a guy who's Mother has worked for H/D for over 20 years. He said they have cut WAYY back on production, down to one day shift, freezing raises, etc... Guess this is just Par for the course

Harley has a growing problem. It's buyers are literally getting older and starting to die off. Younger riders are not going to H-D the way people in their 50s and 60s did.

Jim

Harley has a growing problem. It's buyers are literally getting older and starting to die off. Younger riders are not going to H-D the way people in their 50s and 60s did.

Jim

You also have to remember the younger V-Twin crowd is going custom bikes as well as the Jap Versions as well. Every maker has a V-Twin now, not a novelty anymore.

I read that one of the issues plaguing HD is the inability to get retail financing for their product. My guess is lending institutions are shying away from grossly overpriced products.

Around here, everyone has their Harley® in their front yard with a for sale sign on it, and no one is buying them.

THere are definitely bargains out there to be had. I bet I get a couple calls a week from folks asking for pricing advice or wanting a bike inspected. What's even more amazing are the number of hot rod bikes out there for sale. Big Dogs, Texas Choppers, Bourget's etc. They are going waay cheap, I'd guess in part because of the difficulty financing and insuring many of them.

Wow, I was just reading in the AMA magazine that Buell had discontinued the Blast too, so they could expand their product line. Ouch!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back