P.S. Bike rider Guidera & associates to close some harley dealerships (1 Viewer)

The Little Lizard

Nitro Member
Last edited:
Hey..trim it 3 into 1. At least they are still kicking and hopefully when or if the economy picks up..they'll expand again.

It is sad news for the employees.

Harley has been especially hard hit because the cost of their bikes just escalated dramatically. In the "good old days" people could refinance the house and buy one. Not anymore.

Harley has been especially hard hit because the cost of their bikes just escalated dramatically. In the "good old days" people could refinance the house and buy one. Not anymore.

Not to mention most Harley Riders are over 40, and thus unless they can capture more of the Youth Buying Market they will continue to struggle.

Not to mention most Harley Riders are over 40, and thus unless they can capture more of the Youth Buying Market they will continue to struggle.

Over 40 and can afford a Harley. The kids just want something cheap they can wheelie down the interstate at 90 MPH. If they live long enough, eventually they'll grow up and buy a Harley.:D

Over 40 and can afford a Harley. The kids just want something cheap they can wheelie down the interstate at 90 MPH. If they live long enough, eventually they'll grow up and buy a Harley.:D

That is exactly what I did.
Crotch rockets in the old days......now a cruise on the Harley is safer and more
enjoyable.

....Lone Wolf Harley Davidson, has shattered Harley sales and customer retenion up here in Couer d' Alene, ID. Our Hog Rally was such a success that we are going to have it again. They are still selling bikes as I'm typing this post, that in itself is amazing being we can't ride anymore due to weather, until spring that is, anyhow I thought I would throw that in :cool:

I feel a large part of the problem is the MOCO itself, making dealers build large and expensive buildings. That only adds to the overhead making it that much more costly to unlock the doors every morning.
I was talking to a longtime HD mechanic and he said that, over the years the hourly service rate has gone from $30 to over $80 per hr his pay has not kept up. The difference has gone to pay the overhead.
I have never decided to buy any of my Harleys or cars for that matter based on the fancy dealership.

I feel a large part of the problem is the MOCO itself, making dealers build large and expensive buildings. That only adds to the overhead making it that much more costly to unlock the doors every morning.
I was talking to a longtime HD mechanic and he said that, over the years the hourly service rate has gone from $30 to over $80 per hr his pay has not kept up. The difference has gone to pay the overhead.
I have never decided to buy any of my Harleys or cars for that matter based on the fancy dealership.

True but, they're probably trying to attract the buyer who'd never go into the service bay at a local gas station.

Upscale image.

Frankly, I've had a(n) (intellelectual) problem with H-D since they asked (and got) the Govt' to impose that special tarrif years ago. It DID save the company but used govt instead of innovation to buy a respite against the Japanese bikes. 'Course they've tied the future of the company to that nostalgia demographic and - let's face it - we're getting older if not wiser<G>.

That said, I hope Matt (and the rest of us) have a better business environment in the future. The high tide lifts all boats!

True but, they're probably trying to attract the buyer who'd never go into the service bay at a local gas station.

Upscale image.

Frankly, I've had a(n) (intellelectual) problem with H-D since they asked (and got) the Govt' to impose that special tarrif years ago. It DID save the company but used govt instead of innovation to buy a respite against the Japanese bikes. 'Course they've tied the future of the company to that nostalgia demographic and - let's face it - we're getting older if not wiser<G>.

That said, I hope Matt (and the rest of us) have a better business environment in the future. The high tide lifts all boats!

Depends upon what you call innovation.
Tariffs were imposed in 1983
1984 - Introduction of the Evolution engine. Although not totally innovative with push rod technology, a major step forward from the Shovelhead in general reliability and most notably oil leaks.
1984 - Softail model introduced. This was an innovative design that can be seen by the countless other manufacturers both oem and aftermarket, including Japanese that copied the style.
1986 - My favorite marketing concept the $3995 Sportster buyback. Basically guaranteed the customer the sale price at trade in if they traded up to a bigger bike. I personally did this, had my Sportster 8 months, traded for a Softail.

And probably the most innovative thing they did was create personal billboards. Have you ever seen anyone wearing a HD t shirt? With the introduction of the Harley Owners Group, again somewhere around the mid 80's the general public took a liking to HD that is clearly evident by the clothes they wear. Can you name another company or group of dealers that customers pay to wear their name or logo in such volume?

Oh, I have some issues with the MOCO, but you've got to give credit were due.

2009 was a Huge Loss for HD! They laid off like 300 employees, so only time will tell.

They realize the product is way overpriced and the fad is over. They are taking drastic steps to reduce cost in order make the product attractive to buyers again.

The Harley thing did get out of hand as far as prices, but I noticed they came out with what they call, I believe, an 883 Iron Eagle? It's a cool looking, blacked out bobber-style bike that's like 9 grand. That looks like a killer deal.

We had a guy we did business with in St Louis when we had our Chevy store that got in the Harley business in the mid 90's. At the time they told him him would get X number of bikes which he could sell mostly above list and people would wait in line to buy one. He said the biggest interest he had was the apparel business. I have never been on a Harley in my life, but get a t shirt from every dealership I go by. I had a friend buy one from the dealer in Little Rock a few years back--he had to put down a deposit and wait for months to get one. At the time they acted like they were doing you a favor by even talking to you. Now, they will knock you over being nice if you walk in. As for the fancy chrome and glass stores, its the same thing the auto makers did. Make you buy a fancy overpriced location in a prime spot--then put you out of business.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back