HANS Device questions (1 Viewer)

Jenn

Nitro Member
Hey Racers!

I'm looking at getting two HANS devices, probably the same model, but right now I'm wondering what model would be the best for my application. I know that one version is a pound lighter, for an extra 200 bucks. I don't have a problem with paying more for the best ones, but do I need to? I'm wondering if there is a noticeable difference in comfort for a pound.

Basic helmet buying rules are buy the lightest and safest one you can afford.
I have two Simpson Super Bandit helmets, one of which I believe is HANS ready. Both helmets are K2006 Helmets ( I think).

My dad and brother both have dragsters and the seating position isn't over 20 degrees, and my dad has a 23 T Roadster and my brother races a door car.

Are there any purchasing issues I need to be aware of?
Is it comfortable getting in and out of the car? Which is easier? Putting it on before getting in the car or while in the car?

Has anybody bought it and not used it for any reason? It's not required in our class but I'm a firm believer in protecting what you want to keep.

Last edited:
I wear the standard 20 degree model in carbon fiber. I am a tall guy and I have to be completely suited up before I get into the car. Probably the best thing you can get is the quick release tethers. They make it very easy to get the HANS off at the end of the track without any help. You could probably get it on by yourself, but I haven't tried it. One of my fellow racers has the sportsman model in fiberglass and he says they are no different when you are in the car, strapped in. Hope this helps.

Jenn...the 20 degree will work great for most drag racing vehicles out there. As far as the weight issues, I have a 20-L Sport model and can't tell it's there. The folks at HANS told me that for as little as I wear it that the heavier model would be fine for drag racing...no sense in spending the extra for the lighter model.

I can jump in the car with just my suit on and get completely dressed-including the HANS-in my dragster with no assistance. In fact, I've never had an issue doing that in any car I've driven in recent years.

i would agree on the weight issue with a helmet because your neck is feeling/carrying the weight... but with a HANS the weight is on your shoulders... so not a big issue in my mind. i have the lighter one and like it a lot. if it comes down to money i would strongly recommend opting for the quick release tethers over the weight issue.

i usually put mine on in the car... but i have to wear a SFI-20 funny car suit so getting dressed means someone usually has to dress me.

in this order... pants, shoes, f/c boots, earplugs, hood, jacket (hood tucked in)... then get in the car. belts (w/ arm/helmet restraints), helmet, HANS (tuck helmet neck sock under HANS), belts over HANS, attach HANS tethers and helmet air, tighten up a little, simpson nomex gloves, final belt tighten and check, last... f/c gauntlet gloves... now the guy in front of me usually blows 3 rods out and i get to do it all over again in 30 minutes after the clean up!!

would probably depend on your car... i have on occasion put on all the gear outside the car and then stepped in... but i prefer to stick to the same routine.

im a big fan of the r3 i tried a hans and just about had my head taken off when the top end dude helped me get it off the r3 you just put on like a jacket and thats it you can walk around with it on and not in your way plus you dont have to trust your seat belts to hold you in and just from the hurry up and get out of your car side of it when somethings wrong you can get out with the r3 and not catch it on the roll cage the r3 wont keep you from whipin your head back though so you do have to hold it you cant be lazy like mohawk boy(sean belt) and let your hans work for you haha

p.s. sean the r3 feels like a scba pack like the little carbon fiber bottles from scotts so you should feel somewhat at home

Thanks, Chris that should have been one of my questions too. Alternate devices.

I'll have to look at the R3. I kept meaning to have the guys go check out the HANS trailer on the midway and then if they decided they liked something, we'd order it or buy it there.

Last edited:
But Wes your cars are wider than anyone else's.

Possibly...but I haven't seen anyone shoe-horm himself inside a race car like you!! Got your mom's height and your dad's driver's compartment. :D

Mine's a 23"...nowdays 24" is common...and they seem to be getting even wider. And I sit more upright than all those old-fashioned race cars out there, too. That in itself provides tons more room and ability to use your motor skills inside a race car. Why that design hasn't "trickled-up" yet is baffling to me. I remember laying down in more than one dragster (even one funny car) and the ability to see, breathe, and move in a sit-up car makes it so much easier to drive.

Jenn, if you go over 200 you will also need an SFI rated sock to go with your Hans. And congrats on buying one it's the best thing I ever did.

Well, I've settled, thanks to the help of a couple of you, on the R3 Device.

I haven't ordered it yet, but should be doing so first thing in the morning. They came out with a less expensive version but I think I'm going to go with 2 of the carbon fiber versions and one high impact plastic/carbon fiber version.

The R3 comes with a pad for the seats to take care of what I thought was a major turnoff to the device and several racers have complained about the discomfort of the HANS when the belts are tightened.

The price tag of about $1000 bucks is pocket change compared to the cost of a hospital visit, and my brother has three kids under the age of 3 and my dad is approaching retirement. I don't want anything to happen to them and then later think "If I only spent the money too buy this, they might not be in the shape they are in.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Jenn

Well, I've settled, thanks to the help of a couple of you, on the R3 Device.

I haven't ordered it yet, but should be doing so first thing in the morning. They came out with a less expensive version but I think I'm going to go with 2 of the carbon fiber versions and one high impact plastic/carbon fiber version.

The R3 comes with a pad for the seats to take care of what I thought was a major turnoff to the device and several racers have complained about the discomfort of the HANS when the belts are tightened.

The price tag of about $1000 bucks is pocket change compared to the cost of a hospital visit, and my brother has three kids under the age of 3 and my dad is approaching retirement. I don't want anything to happen to them and then later think "If I only spent the money too buy this, they might not be in the shape they are in.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Jenn

i think thats a good choice jenn.....kyle (guy who drives the FC i work on) uses an R3 and said that with the pad you can't even tell the thing is on

Jenn,
Check your P.M.'s

For those that are interested, Safety Solutions has the Hybrid, which adds lateral protection, and is designed for multiple impacts from multiple angles.

P.M. me for more info.

Thanks

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back