The Hans Device Worked (1 Viewer)

Rich - thank goodness you're OK! When we talked last week, you said you felt much safer with the HANS than a neck collar, but ya didn't have to prove it!
Sorry about the car - I'm sure you and your team are already hard at it to get back on track.

Rich, man I am sorry to hear about your crash,,,glad you are fine and good luck getting back to it. :cool:

Rapid

Very very glad you are okay!

Question:

Is the HANS like a helmet, where the NHRA will confiscate it after an accident? Or is it reuseable?

Thanks again, I feel much better already reading these posts. It's almost 1 AM and just as soon as we got home Chuck, Todd, and myself went to work taking it all a part. We'll have the engine and trans out in the morning and then the chassis builder will tell us if it's salvagable. Apparently, he fixed raced cars that are much worse. I'll keep everyone posted.

Rich

Rich Bailey

Over on DRO, it says Rich Bailey had a bad crash in his blown digger at Pacific Raceways. Rich said the HANS device really saved him. I know that Rich posts here all the time, and I am glad that the article stated he is OK, and is expecting to rebuild and resume racing soon.

Re: Rich Bailey

Thanks for the headsup. So sorry to hear this. Glad to hear he's alright. Hope he's able to return real soon.

Sorry, this post should have been called something else...
Not THIS one, but Rich's original one...

http://www.nitromater.com/nhra/6737-hans-device-worked.html
Why has not one person brought up the fact that Kyle Buschs Hans cracked during his accident at Tally last weekend??? If you think that Drag Racing cars do not flip over that many times, you have not been around very long...

The last device I ever expected to look like it is the best of all worlds out there is the Hutchens device... Hutchens, used to be a bunch of straps and cables... This Hybrid design that JFR and I saw Mike Ashley taking his off, look so much more promising in this world of head and neck restraint... I'm totally shocked, but it is the best of the Hans and R3 design wrapped up in the Hutchens HYBRID...

I'm just happy that Rich is O.K. and able to tell us his story... :cool:

WOW, glad he is okay. I set up as a vendor at his charity event last year and had a great time. He is a great person. Hope he gets back out there soon. Anyone have the details on what happened?

Glad you are okay Rich. I set up as a vendor last year at the charity event and hope to be there again this year.

Very very glad you are okay!

Question:

Is the HANS like a helmet, where the NHRA will confiscate it after an accident? Or is it reuseable?
That is a very interesting point Jenn... Kyle Buschs Hans cracked during his flip at Talledega last weekend... I would be interested in knowing if it is the same Hans that he has crashed with multiple times this year...

Very good question... :)

WOW, glad he is okay. I set up as a vendor at his charity event last year and had a great time. He is a great person. Hope he gets back out there soon. Anyone have the details on what happened?
Sorry John, My link looks like part of my rambling... :D I usually try and seperate things, but click on THE HANS DEVICE WORKED and you can read all about Richs experience...

glad you're ok Rich was pondering the R3 or Hans but actually ordered my hans
Monday from Dennis Taylor

Glad you're healthy there Rich..scary stuff.

Nice write-up @ NHRA.com about you as well.

You'll be out there stirring it up real soon.

Thanks again you guys. I can't say how much I appreciate everyone's concerns and best wishes it means a lot to me. While I'm disappointed it happend I'm real lucky. According to the time slip, I was at 140 MPH when I hit that wall nearly head on. Everyone's crash is different and all I can tell you is that the Hans worked. My tailbone hurts every time I get up and if that hurts I can't imagine what my head and neck would be like.

I'm doing everything I can to get back in the game and it might take a little bit longer then I thought. I'm doing everything possible to get things going and honor my commitments. I'll have a hell of a story to tell the high school students when I speak to them in a couple of weeks. My sponsors are supporting my efforts and I want to do all I can on my end to be out there.

I didn't know there was a write-up on NHRA.com and I looked and didn't see it. I know DRO is proactive on the Hans so I decided to let them know. If there's any way at all I can spread the word about hans I will do it. Everyone in an open wheel car needs one. If I hadn't had one on and this crash happend the way it did I know that I would have ended up in the hospital or worse. Praise God!

Last edited:
Glad you are okay Rich. I set up as a vendor last year at the charity event and hope to be there again this year.

John, we're doing another Night of Fire event this year on June 1. We hope you can come back. We will make sure get you a better spot. Go to www.capracing.com for details.

In fact, if there's anyone that can spare a few t-shirts that would be great the event is for the No Meth foundation here in Salem. The meth problem is out of control and 80% of all crime here is related to meth.

Wasn't NHRA.com. My apologies to DRO..which is where I saw the article, Rich.

Here's a link: ::: Drag Racing Online ::: Columns - Agent 1320 - 5/1/2007

Salem, Oregon, blown alcohol driver Rich Bailey walked away from a spectacular crash last Friday at Pacific Raceways in Seattle. Bailey’s Capitol Auto Group Dragster shook the tires and then lost traction at about 500 feet off the starting line and instantly went into the other lane, Bailey tried to save it and the car went nearly airborne, before darting across the track and hitting the barrier at 130 mph. The car then spun around before skidding on its side past the finish line.

It was only the second time Bailey had worn a head and neck support device, but he believes it saved him from any serious injuries. At the time of the accident, the track was very cold and slick just outside the groove of the racing surface.

“We had the most horsepower in the class and none of the nitro teams or top alcohol teams made a run. We really should have waited until Saturday when it had warmed up and the conditions were more favorable to the higher horsepower cars, but it was qualifying and we were confident that the track was there,” Bailey said.

The car will be rebuilt and Bailey expects to return to racing soon.[5/1/2007]

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back