Downing To Introduce HANS Device Sport II at Mitty (1 Viewer)

Atlanta, Ga. (Apr. 22, 2011) – Jim Downing, known for both his driving championships and his role in the development of the HANS Device, will be honored as the Grand Marshall of the Speedfast at the Classic Motorsports Mitty being held at Road Atlanta April 28-May 1.

The Mitty is the biggest and most prestigious vintage race weekend on the East Coast. “When I first heard about being the Grand Marshall, I was a little taken aback,” said the 69-year-old Downing. “I always thought Grand Marshalls were older guys. Then I looked it up and found out I was one.”

Time has not slowed the pursuit of championships by Downing, who will be competing for an SCCA National Championship in the fall, or his push for motor racing safety. This weekend, his role as the Grand Marshall at the Mitty will enable Downing to personally introduce racers to the HANS Device Sport II, the latest safety innovation from HANS Performance Products soon to be available to dealers and competitors worldwide.

Designed for all types of racing, from short tracks to drag strips as well as rallying and road racing, the Sport II has a more rounded collar for racers looking to improve the fit in the cockpit. “This weekend, I’ll be able to talk about our new Sport II and let some of the vintage guys who have older cars and cockpits look at what we’re doing,” said Downing.

Five-time IMSA champion Downing will be back in an older and familiar cockpit during the Mitty. In a reunion race for IMSA’s former entry level professional class, Downing will race the Mazda RX-3 that he drove to his first championship in 1981.

On a Mitty weekend when Mazda will be the featured manufacturer, the line-up will include several of Downing’s Mazda-powered Kudzu prototypes designed and built at his shops in Chamblee, Ga. Downing scored class victories aboard Kudzu prototypes in the Daytona 24-hour, Le Mans 24-hour and Sebring 12-hour .

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back