Force/ tire shake (1 Viewer)

Just curious, here. How can Force, or anyone else for that matter, know how much shake is "enough" to deem the padding/adjustments to be safe enough?
Yes, he has the benefit of a world-class brain trust to get ideas from, but I've read more than once how the shake in Eric's car was worse than had ever been encountered before. God forbid, but what if someone else's tire gets punctured similar to Eric's and said driver undergoes the same off-the-charts vibration? I realize that runs have to be made to find out, just wondering how one can be sure injury (or worse) will be prevented.

While I doubt that the forces experienced by Eric can ever be accurately replicated in a controlled way I think that one way to come close would be:

Tie an old FC chassis to a large steel table to other type of Jig and somehow affix an offset weight to one axle or a rim and spin the rear up to roughly the speed the car was traveling when the shake occurred. Set up the car so it can be remotely controlled and make sure everyone is FAR away from it. Run it through the RPM range until a similar tire speed and/or amount of vibration is detected. They could set up monitoring equipment (g force meters or similar) in a mock helmet or even on a test dummy to record the difference in the vibration from the old style of cage/padding to the new style. Would it be 100% accurate? I doubt that it would, but it would surely let them know more information and tell if they have made it better or at least heading in the right direction.

Just my .02..

Brian

Just curious, here. How can Force, or anyone else for that matter, know how much shake is "enough" to deem the padding/adjustments to be safe enough?

If you are looking for conclusive finite results, you are groping for straws. I believe Paul summed it up well. They are seeking to create a "SAFER" pilot enclosure in an effort to avoid Eric's disastrous results ever again. They can't guarantee anything nor can any other team of professionals conclusively insure perfect protection.

Take this test for what it is:
. . . an attempt at moving forward in safety. Nothing more-Nothing less.
I seriously doubt anyone believes they can create an environment that is safe enough as you suggest. I'm positive the Force team doesn't believe they've achieved it. They just feel the need to make strides forward.
They feel they owe that to both Eric and want it for all other drivers.

Last edited:
If you are looking for conclusive finite results, you are groping for straws. I believe Paul summed it up well. They are seeking to create a "SAFER" pilot enclosure in an effort to avoid Eric's disastrous results ever again. They can't guarantee anything nor can any other team of professionals conclusively insure perfect protection.

I seriously doubt anyone believes they can create an environment that is safe enough as you suggest. I'm positive the Force team doesn't believe they've achieved it. They just feel the need to make strides forward.

Amen to that

Understood and agreed.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back