Tire Vibration(Shake) (1 Viewer)

Tom

Nitro Member
Has anyone looked into this system concerning vibration or shake during roll out?? The airlines are currently using this system to increase their landing rates.

Wheel weights have been around for many years, but are no longer the only solution for trucks, commercial vehicles and motorcycles. We want you to get the highest possible tire mileage by using our products.

The way we do this is by offering a Dynamic Balancing Solution, a high-density ceramic bead that, when easily installed, continuously balances your tires as you drive. The amount of material will distribute itself in weight and position dependent on the balance requirements of the individual tire.

The result is a smooth, vibration-free ride, derived from our balancing media that is always repositioning itself as the tire wears. If you own a pickup truck, commercial truck, motorhome, RV, tractor trailer, motorcycle, or similar vehicle, and want to get rid of those wheel vibration and tire cupping problems, then you need to move up to Dyna Beads™!

Believe it or not, I put four golfballs each in my semi-truck tires to balance them. Used to use Centramatics, but they gum up and the balls get stuck.

From what I've always read, tire shake has never been scientifically defined. I know that Frank Hawley and others have said that the way to avoid it is to apply more power, that it happens when the tires hook too early in a run.

Some people believe tire shake is the result of the tread running over itself. My theory is a little different. I think it may be when one tread tries to hook before the other. I don't know why two treads on two seperate sets of sidewalls a few feet apart from each other would WANT to both hook at the same time. How would one tread know or care what the other one is doing?

If one tread hooks while the other is still slipping, I think that sidewall is going to wind up, leaving the other tread "behind" that one. What if the second tread then hooks? I believe the power going to the ground via the first tread is going to snap that tire loose much the same way they both snap loose at the launch. Then it's going to wind the other sidewall up while the first one slips before gripping again. Once when I posted about this on another board, someone chimed in with the pics they've seen of caterpillar tracks after tire shake.

I think applying more power and slipping the tires longer may give them a chance to more gradually tighten up against the track, doing it more evenly.

Ron, I don't know if what you think is true but to me it sure seems to be plausible. If one tire is slipping and the other is glued to the ground and both are attached to a solid axle, something has to give. I think your theory might explain why so many runs go up in smoke if they make a major steering adjustment while they're backing up from the burnout, especially close to the starting line.

You wanna hear an even nuttier theory of mine? (I came up with this one while sitting in Bobby Miller's house a couple months ago, so he gets part of the blame, LOL.)

What if the same thing could happen at the end of a burnout, as the tires are slowing back down? What if, at the end of a burnout, one of the sticky treads decides to "hook" just before the other? What if one tread is behind the other the whole time the car is backing up, just not enough to even wrinkle the sidewalls? Would this not make all the power go to the ground through one tire first right at the hit of the throttle? When they wind up, one winds up tighter first? I've since wondered if this could cause some of the instant up in smoke runs. Break one tire loose first, the other's sure to follow.

What if one crewmember's job, after the car backed up from the burnout, was to slip a jack under the rear, and just pop it off the ground and let it right back down to ensure that the treads are even with each other? Could be an air jack like they use for semi trucks, with a tubular handle that would hold just enough air for one shot. They could test this by having a crewmember on each side run a line of shoe polish down the sidewall to the edge of the track. When the jack lets it back down, if they're not still lined up with each other, you'd know you were onto something.

Concerning tire shake, I've seen slow mo videos from the front in which it appears to be a giration (LOL, gyration. I knew that didn't look right) from side to side. Again, couple that with "caterpillar" tracks in which there are alternating patches of rubber. How many times have you heard people talking about wanting to see a car get "up on the tires" so they can get past the shake zone? I think they want to slip the tires to the point that they're turning fast enough that they grow a little before "hooking", if there even is such a thing. I wouldn't be surprised if a nitro tire is actually slipping during the entire run.

Last edited:
The NTF cars are doing much better now that they are running higher pressures. In the case with the pro cars, if the ceramic beads were used, this might insure that the tire is even and moves out further from the rim and possibly eliminate the issue. The airlines were using the system to do just that during roll out and landing. The airlines found that they had very few flat spots and less tire wear. They avaeraged an additional 20 landings.

Also, with this system, you have to use only Nitrogen air. This keeps down the moisture and allows the beads to move to the low spot or imbalanced area.

Makes sense for the airlines. I'm sure no matter how well balanced the tires are at takeoff, they're sure to be out of balance as soon as they land and flat spot them. I've noticed in truck tire shops they also sell a product named "Equal", which looks to me to be a bunch of sand that's supposed to do the same thing. Messy stuff when you remove a tire that's had it in it, though. I'd rather have golfballs rolling around in them than have sand sliding around in them.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back