Force/ tire shake (1 Viewer)

? Good question? Does anyone know what it is he is actually looking for when it shakes that might be different from before? Are they worried about hitting the new padding? I can't see the car driving any different.But I also don't know the exact other changes beside making more room?

The cage is wider, and filled with new padding, the new padding is closer to the helmut than the old stuff was. The concern is that maybe the new padding is to close to the helmut. And on the two hits I saw, it didn't shake.

Alan

I know some of you probably don't remember when Mike Dunn had a nasty explosion in the Hawaiian Punch Omni and flipped the car side over side back at OCIR. The motor actually came up out of the car, and rolled off the side, making the car roll. At any rate, during his series of rolls, and stuff, his head slammed the cage a number of times, very hard. He probably knows as good as anybody what a good cage hit feels like. Something like what John has come up with would have been GREAT back then even!!! It's amazing how something so simple, that makes so much sense, was never run before. Kind of like the TF cage shields. Hats off to John for looking into this matter, and my opinion is, more floppers will be in the chassis shop getting the same treatment.

The concern is that maybe the new padding is to close to the helmut.

That is the part I was wondering if they were testing. Thank you Allan

Did I miss the memo concerning the spelling of helmut?? :D helmulet?? :eek: Shoot I done been spellun helmet wrong all these years... :D No wonder mine are all to tight... :p I know, it was follow the leader... LOL or did I really miss it??

We don't need any more minds "melting" here on NitroMater!!!:D

That should be "melding" as in "Vulcan Mind Meld."

The cage is wider, and filled with new padding, the new padding is closer to the helmut than the old stuff was. The concern is that maybe the new padding is to close to the helmut. And on the two hits I saw, it didn't shake.

Alan
Alan, I noticed the seat has the same name as the roll bar padding, is that a new seat also?? I guess I never paid much attention to them. Just curious if its a new design also. thanks!!!!

Alan, I noticed the seat has the same name as the roll bar padding, is that a new seat also?? I guess I never paid much attention to them. Just curious if its a new design also. thanks!!!!
Kelly
Just ask and I can usually find just about anything... :)
Except the winning lotto numbers... :D
Rathman keeps those locked away for when he drops off the top 10 richest list... :p
Seriously, this is very informative, and I also hope others will take a look also...

Drag Race Seats & Inserts

I remember Mike Dunn's crash where the motor left the car and he was tossed around pretty violently. I believe there was real good footage of that on the old Decade of Thrills tape.

I know some of you probably don't remember when Mike Dunn had a nasty explosion in the Hawaiian Punch Omni and flipped the car side over side back at OCIR. The motor actually came up out of the car, and rolled off the side, making the car roll. At any rate, during his series of rolls, and stuff, his head slammed the cage a number of times, very hard. He probably knows as good as anybody what a good cage hit feels like. Something like what John has come up with would have been GREAT back then even!!! It's amazing how something so simple, that makes so much sense, was never run before. Kind of like the TF cage shields. Hats off to John for looking into this matter, and my opinion is, more floppers will be in the chassis shop getting the same treatment.

I was there and it was an absolutely frightening sight. Mike was very lucky to come out of that one as well as he did.

Just curious, here. How can Force, or anyone else for that matter, know how much shake is "enough" to deem the padding/adjustments to be safe enough?
Yes, he has the benefit of a world-class brain trust to get ideas from, but I've read more than once how the shake in Eric's car was worse than had ever been encountered before. God forbid, but what if someone else's tire gets punctured similar to Eric's and said driver undergoes the same off-the-charts vibration? I realize that runs have to be made to find out, just wondering how one can be sure injury (or worse) will be prevented.

The way I understand the current testing is that they are trying to determine that if during regular tire shake whether or not the new padding will cause additional problems such as blurring of vision. They're definitely not trying to duplicate the type of shake that Eric encountered.

Just curious, here. How can Force, or anyone else for that matter, know how much shake is "enough" to deem the padding/adjustments to be safe enough?
Yes, he has the benefit of a world-class brain trust to get ideas from, but I've read more than once how the shake in Eric's car was worse than had ever been encountered before. God forbid, but what if someone else's tire gets punctured similar to Eric's and said driver undergoes the same off-the-charts vibration? I realize that runs have to be made to find out, just wondering how one can be sure injury (or worse) will be prevented.

I think that you hit it in your post- John has a truly World Class brain trust at his disposal, not only within his own crew, but also the engineers at Wayne State and their testing facilities. Be sure that the idea to add more, denser padding was not just thrown around as an idea that stuck. To computer mock up a shake/vibration that equaled or exceeded what took place in Eric's car is what the Wayne State folks probably did, and the resulting foam specs came from those tests.

What can never be tested is the "fluke"- something that can never be reproduced in testing or on a computer. I can't see anyone involved in this project ever thinking that their efforts will guarantee that no one will ever be seriously injured or killed again in this sport. The fact that John was the "test pilot" to see the outcome of what a computer modeled shows his dedication to preventing this kind of injury from occuring again, but nobody is saying this is the "Silver Bullet" fix -but it is a great first step twords reducing this type of injury though.

You missed the point totally of Johns test. It was not testing how safe the padding is. It was to see if #1 That he could drive the car and be comfortable, and #2 if the car did have regular tire shake, that the padding and other changes would not cause any problmes with vision or compound the regular affects of tire shake for the driver.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back