Firebird (1 Viewer)

Nunz

Nitro Member
Since we have no race results to talk about, I thought I'd ask a question. My family relocated to Phoenix over 20 years ago, and I lived in Scottsdale in '95-'97, so I have been to Firebird many times. Now I always thought it was a cool track, out in the desert, but I know many Maters refer to it as Fireturd. I just read the current National Dragster and there was mention of the track extending it's concrete to 700', and the shutdown has been extended to something like 3900'. Why doesn't anyone like Firebird? Is it not prepped well? That has to be the longest shutdown in the sport, almost 3/4 of a mile. Just curious.

I believe the issues are more with the the owner, Nunz.

I'm sure Bobby will fill us in.

I had a great time when I was there in 2000 & '01.

Nunzio, I think it has more to do with Charlie Allen, aka Cheap Charlie, with his perceived slowness and stinginess in addressing problems with the track and surrounding area, than anything else.

I don't really have a problem with Firebird per se, although the pricing is getting a bit out of hand, I'm old school having grown up around Irwindale & Fontana where those tracks were a lot worse than Firebird so it's not that big of a deal for me.

Btw, nice meeting your Dad, we had a long chat reminiscing the old days, it was a lot of fun. Tell him I hope to fire the motor again around the end of this month and will call him over so he can savor the methanol aroma. :)

Like Paul Said, it has mostly to do with Cheap Charlie. He does the least amount to get by Most of the time if that.

The facility is poor. - true -
But they way you get treated by the ownership and management is an atrocity! I would rather push my car down main street than drive onto Fireturds facility. I could pay some guys to beat me up and get treated better and spend less money doing it.

It's a personal thing. If you love it, by all means, continue to love it! It's only fair. I've also had my experiences and they have given us more than enough reason to have our opinions.

As Buzzz said, our experiences there have been nothing short of awful. I'll only name a few:
* CIFCA raced there for years in the "Coors 32 Funny Car" event and our first race there wasn't all that bad with the exception of a two hour check in. Shortly thereafter Charlie decided to add to his ticket purses with "Robosaurus" who crushed cars on the track while we were in the lanes for eliminations. They sent our first pair with glass glistening all over the track from the circus robot without as much as a care despite our vocalizing concerns. We pulled out and kept out tires and driver to race another day. Charlie later canceled all CIFCA races in lieu of Monster Truck car crushing action - right on the racing surface!
* Super Chevy a couple years later took us three hours to get from the parking lot to our spots in the pits (who knows why?) we suited up our driver as directed and waited in the lanes for over two hours in the Phoenix summer. We were directed to park the transporter in the dirt where the water truck came by like clockwork on the 1/2 hour splattering mud all over our entire pit, race car and transporter, which I had just washed - silly me. Things were run so poorly that we got one pass all day for our $300. entry fee.
* Buzzz and Paul often have credentials to do photography. We checked in at the credentials trailer (will call) and had to wait well over two hours during a national event only to have them eventually pass us an envelope with the name Buzzz Miller on it that was in the hand of the employee in the booth when we walked up. Worst news of all, is John Force's caterer from downtown Phoenix waited the entire time beside us only to be waived through about the time his potato salad had turned to an unsavory custard.
* Attend any National event and see if you can park nearer than one mile from a gate in less that 45 minutes. Conversely, I was at Pomona three days ago and we drove right in then walked right in and there were twice the people.
* Show me any restroom that has running water, paper and soap in it after 10:00 AM and I'll show you a miracle of biblical proportion.
* Heaven forbid you should have a special need while on site. You will have better luck flying help in from Houston, TX.

To make a long story longer, Charlie is the cheapest owner short of the NHRA themselves. The facility is always the very bare minimum to keep the national event. Treatment of the racers is nothing short of deplorable and an embarrassment to the racing community and the facility is upgraded and the track is prepped ONLY when they absolutely must for TV exposure.

I could go on but I think you'll understand our point of view.

Last edited:
Haven't raced there, so can't comment on the treatment of racers, but the facility is quite sad. Splintery planks for bleachers, ancient flimsy aluminum stands in other places, bathrooms where holding your nose isn't nearly enough, terrible food, and everything has peeling paint. The parking is pathetic and there never seem to be enough people managing getting the cars in and out. I've sat on the freeway for an hour waiting to get in -- for a track that's in the middle of the desert? How hard could it be to get people in and/or out?

Interestingly, I decided not to go this year, first time in several years. I got two separate calls from them a few weeks apart asking if I wanted to renew. Never had a track call and ask -- sure I've had mail renewal requests, but this was the first time anyone called me, twice. Must be hungry?

Wow, I guess I understand now. Hey Paul, my Dad enjoyed meeting you as well, and you need to take him up on his offer to help with your T Body, he really is good at that stuff!

Getting in and out is the worst. It is real close to the highway and yet it takes forever. One year they parked us on the other side of the lake which was probably about 1.5 miles from the pits and even further to our seats. They had a shuttle taking us to the track but when the race was over we were on our own.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back