Dixon Returns to a Special Place, Firebird Raceway (1 Viewer)

CHANDLER, Arizona (Feb. 21, 2013) – Three-time NHRA Top Fuel champion Larry Dixon has fond memories of the fast pavement at Firebird International Raceway. The California native won his first Top Fuel race here back in 1995 as well as his last NHRA national event win in 2011.

Larry Dixon Recaps Pomona/Previews Phoenix NHRA Podcast
“I have some great memories from Firebird as I won there in my second Top Fuel race,” said Dixon, a three-time Firebird champion. “That first race there in Snake’s (Don Prudhomme) car was special when I beat Shelly Anderson in the final. That was a great team and a fast car and I was not about to be late at the starting line. I had a great light and won my first NHRA national race . It was a thrill.”

Dixon returns to Firebird this weekend (Feb. 22-24) for the NHRA Arizona Nationals with his new
Rapisarda Autosport International team and with veteran tuner Lee Beard, himself a two-time Firebird winner, at the helm.

“The Rapisarda team did a great job at Pomona with five clean runs in our very first time on the track in 2013,” said Dixon, who lost to defending NHRA Top Fuel champion Antron Brown in a close first-round race last Sunday. “Considering we slammed everything together in under six weeks, it was a stellar performance for this team. And I see a lot of potential with Lee and the Rapisarda family.”

Dixon, the NHRA’s second winningest Top Fuel driver with 62 wins, only drove in three races in 2012 as he attempted to find financial support and start his own team. He continued that search this winter until Beard, one of the sport’s greatest team managers and crew chiefs, gave Dixon a call to jump back in the cockpit.

“Lee asked me right at the beginning of the year if my new deal was together, and I told him, ‘Not quite,’ and he wanted to see if I could join his new effort,” Larry explains. “I said, ‘Sure.’ I have never worked with Lee previously as we were rivals for nearly 20 years. But this opportunity can be tremendous. I know Lee’s credentials and I believe we can do well with the proper backing.”

Dixon and Beard bring years of experience to the young Rapisarda team, owned by Santo Rapisarda, an Australian crane company mogul. Working with Rapisarda’s sons, Santo Jr and Tino, Dixon and Beard are excited about the new challenge.

“The kids are very talented and Santo wants them to learn from Lee and myself,” said Dixon. “We are gathering more parts and pieces to compete with the top teams like Schumacher, Al Anabi, Kalitta, Lucas and others. They have been testing earlier this year. Our first test was last weekend at Pomona.”

Dixon’s excitement about his return to Firebird brings back thoughts of his youth, watching his dad, Larry Sr., drive his own Top Fuel dragster.

“The layout of Firebird has always reminded me of Orange County International Raceway in Southern California,” Dixon admitted. “The track’s pit area was similar to OCIR and that is a place I remember when I was growing up. So it’s like old home week for me when we come to Firebird. It’s the site of my first NHRA win and my most recent win.”

And nothing would be more exciting for Dixon than to return to the Firebird winner’s circle with his new team this weekend. It would add to his many great memories at the Chandler racing facility.

Qualifying for the NHRA Arizona Nationals begins Friday, Feb. 22, with final eliminations set for Sunday, Feb. 24, at Firebird International Raceway.

More...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back