Firebird Raceway in Boise Idaho, a great racing experience (1 Viewer)

rocketman

Nitro Member
We raced at Firebird Raceway for the first time over the weekend and all I can say is WOW what a nice track! As you drive in there it looks like a ball park. After talking with Brad New I relized why it's so special...they go the extra mile in everything they do.

They prep the track like you wouldn't believe!

They do a great job promoting there events as I heard four ads on the radio while I was there driving around!

They look at the racer as the customer (an exact quote) and not a burdon!

The entire staff was polite!

They support the kids!

The track is loved by the community according to a local I met while I was there!

And finally they take pride in the facility. That place was very clean and well organized! No litter, green grass, buildings that matched, clean restrooms!

I told Brad that the photos I've seen prior to going there don't do the place justice. Firebird should be a model for all tracks to follow.

Rich, I'd sure agree with you, I've been racing there at least once a year for the last 9 years, it's my favorite place to race, there are facilities that are much newer no doubt, but you are correct, the New family does more with what they have than about anyone in the biz, they take much pride in their operation and it really shows.

Glenn,
Even though I'm a Division 6 racer, I wasn't aware of just how good of a job they do running Firebird until seeing it myself first hand. I'll being going back next year for sure.

We raced at Firebird Raceway for the first time over the weekend and all I can say is WOW what a nice track! As you drive in there it looks like a ball park. After talking with Brad New I relized why it's so special...they go the extra mile in everything they do.

They prep the track like you wouldn't believe!

They do a great job promoting there events as I heard four ads on the radio while I was there driving around!

They look at the racer as the customer (an exact quote) and not a burdon!

The entire staff was polite!

They support the kids!

The track is loved by the community according to a local I met while I was there!

And finally they take pride in the facility. That place was very clean and well organized! No litter, green grass, buildings that matched, clean restrooms!

I told Brad that the photos I've seen prior to going there don't do the place justice. Firebird should be a model for all tracks to follow.

Rich,

The entire New family and staff are second to none. We attend the Nightfire Nationals each summer, and that event is something else. I'm sure the Halloween Classic is just as much fun. Were you one of the contestants in the golf cart race? Someone cut a perfect light in that impromptu class.

I think NHRA should host their track operators meeting in Boise, and let the New Crew show 'em all how it's done.

Dawn

No, I don't even own a golf cart. We did have the quickest ET on the property though. We ran a 6.81 and got low ET in the featured Top Gun class.

Rich, I've heard good things about Boise for some time! I even hear that they've had crowds well over 10,000.

Firebird has made huge improvements since I was a kid and would go to the Ignitor and Nightfire races in the late `70s and early `80s. Used to just be a big dustbowl back then, no grass landscaping, horrible old wooden outhouses that were downright nasty when it was 100 degrees. I can`t comment on the actual racetrack improvements since the last time I made a run down that 1/4 mile was in 1985 in a 12 second Camaro. Glad to hear you ran so well Rich, that place holds a lot of memories for me from when Snake, Ace, Gordie, the King, Beadle etc. used to run there.

As Dawn said, the New Crew are the best. They are great to both the racers and the fans. We go the Nightfire and sometimes the Ignitor and always have a great time. The "Drag Strip Food" is way above average--Burgers and Dogs are BBQed outside and ice cream is sold by the pound and all are priced very reasonably. The Winged Express goes there just for the ice cream.

AKA 1320 Bob

Anybody remember when Jim Dunn put his FC into the stands there in 85 or so??? Killed at least one person.

Anybody remember when Jim Dunn put his FC into the stands there in 85 or so??? Killed at least one person.
Yeah I remember, lots of changes to the facility after that incident. They used to line the FCs up on the track and light `em off at the same time, half would go down the track, and half would go back to the pits up the return road. Dunn did a burnout up the return road, the throttle hung open and he crashed into the concession/souvenior stand at the entrance to the pits.

It was a freak accident and I had wished that it wouldn't of been brought up.

Chris, I was hoping you would be there and stop by. Do you not go out there any more? When I went over there I was expecting a dust bowl but it was far from that. It's a jewel of a race track.

Last edited:
Yeah I remember, lots of changes to the facility after that incident. They used to line the FCs up on the track and light `em off at the same time, half would go down the track, and half would go back to the pits up the return road. Dunn did a burnout up the return road, the throttle hung open and he crashed into the concession/souvenior stand at the entrance to the pits.

If something like that happened today, NHRA would be History!:confused:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back