Favorite Mustang FC (1 Viewer)

TopFuel@Lions

Nitro Member
What would be your favorite Mustang Funny Car that burned nitro?

I have three that have always been at the top for me, in no order.

** Dick Loehr and his great looking "Stampede" Mustang with John Skiba turning the wrenches and Max Curtis Ford on the side.
** Danny Ongais in Mickey Thompson's "Blue" Mustang of 69, the baddest FC of that year!
** The Jake Johnson shoed "Blue Max" of 1970, that 6.72 at the County during that years Manufacturers Meet was one of the passes of 70!

[email protected] birthday to my late father, he would have been 102 today, thanks for taking me to the races for all those years!

Trojan Horse Mustang. My dad was born 1915, would have been 105 years old this Aug. He passed way back in 1981, age 65. When I turned 66, I thought I have outlived my dad.

9990115742018.jpg

The Keeling and Clayton California Charger Mustangs were absolutely beautiful cars. My other favorite was the LA Hooker Mustangs with Dave Condit driving.

The David Sein/Cecil Lankford-owned "Brand X" Mustang. Anyone foolish enough to let me drive their Funny Car -- not once but twice -- gets my vote. It's also my favorite because when they built a new car I was asked to shoot a fire burnout of it for the cover of Hot Rod Magazine while still a freelancer, just before I joined the staff of Car Craft. Three or four months later Petersen Publishing sold a poster of that cover, and generously paid me again. The cover shoot was an adventure...

That was some great photo work on the Brand X ride Jon. Thank you Greg and Lance for those great shots too!

Other cars I liked and saw.
Phony Pony
Psycho
Gas Rhonda
Bill Leavitt's Quickie 2

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Announcer

The Joe Amato Mustang was never raced by Joe. He built it & was gonna get into F/C, but sold it instead. dunno who bought it, but it was a slick lookin' piece.

Thanks for the compliment, but it was all Bruce Mullins. My only contribution was that I think I told him red was my favorite color. He said "I'll call you when it's done"
I still have the car. Every once in a while, I'll go out to the shop and talk to it, but the conversations always turn political, and then escalates into an argument and the car threatens to throw the rods out if I don't agree with it.
Sorry again guys for the derailment. I need to get out of the house.

The David Sein/Cecil Lankford-owned "Brand X" Mustang. Anyone foolish enough to let me drive their Funny Car -- not once but twice -- gets my vote. It's also my favorite because when they built a new car I was asked to shoot a fire burnout of it for the cover of Hot Rod Magazine while still a freelancer, just before I joined the staff of Car Craft. Three or four months later Petersen Publishing sold a poster of that cover, and generously paid me again. The cover shoot was an adventure...

That had to be physical origami to get you into a Funny Car. LoL How did you fit? Every time I sit in one I think "they ain't built for long legs!"

Alan

P.S. For the record, while Jon and I disagree strongly on some points, I do respect the guy, and believe it or not there are things we agree on.

Alan isn't the only one to have asked me about fitting in the car, but it wasn't that difficult. Once we got everything "adjusted" a little it all worked. I think I wrote it this way back in 1972, but I seem to remember writing "Don't ever let anyone tell you you can't stand up in a Funny Car, because you can." There were no roof hatches back then, so I had to bail out of the window when the car stopped. I don't recall getting hung up on the steering wheel or the brake handle.

Two more quickies: Barry Ferriolo's car is gorgeous, and the night shot of Baze's Winston Mustang is excellent. Who took it?

Jon Asher
_JA10218-2.jpg
_JA10228-2.jpg
JA2_9407 copy-2.jpg
JA3_2319 copy-2.jpg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back