Favorite Mustang FC (1 Viewer)

The Joe Amato Mustang was never raced by Joe. He built it & was gonna get into F/C, but sold it instead. dunno who bought it, but it was a slick lookin' piece.

I'm pretty sure that he raced it at an IHRA National event, back when they had no TF class.
amato.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures of it that I took at the Cajun Nationals. He only raced his Top Fueler that weekend, this just sat in the pits.
amatofc.jpg

Last edited:
Today was 109 in Phoenix. Was wearing a black shirt. ARGH Supposed to be 111 Friday - but it's a dry heat.......

Mongoose’s Super Mustang!
Ashley’s ‘09 Castrol Mustang that came sooo close to a title
Of Course Blue Max and Mickey Thompson’s

Lew Arrington's 1972 Brutus.
James "East," is that you? Long time since the Yahoo FC Groups, eh?
I too agree that the '72 Brutus was arguably the best looking Mustang FC. Here's the best online pic I could find.
It's an L&M Photo Card, taken at the '72 Gators when it was brand new. I scrolled down to see that I sent Vince Putt a correction years ago (kinda funny). But yeah, that candy orange over pearl, plus the purple fade pattern, the nitro molecules on top and the alternating blue-green accents in the BRUTUS lettering all added up one gorgeous FC. Too bad most of it faded through the course of the '72 season. Lew Arrington III told me that the painter forgot to add a clearcoat or some other kind of sun protection.

What would be your favorite Mustang Funny Car that burned nitro?

I have three that have always been at the top for me, in no order.

** Dick Loehr and his great looking "Stampede" Mustang with John Skiba turning the wrenches and Max Curtis Ford on the side.
** Danny Ongais in Mickey Thompson's "Blue" Mustang of 69, the baddest FC of that year!
** The Jake Johnson shoed "Blue Max" of 1970, that 6.72 at the County during that years Manufacturers Meet was one of the passes of 70!

[email protected] birthday to my late father, he would have been 102 today, thanks for taking me to the races for all those years!

Tim Wilkerson's present day Mustang. Good looking competitive car driven by the guy that owns it and tunes it.

modern cars suck, Paul Candies or Raymond Beadle and Mickey Thompsons cars in the late 60's with Ongais and Pulde

The Mickey Thompson red and blue cars of Pat Foster and Danny Ongias.
I saw them in 1970 at Island Dragway.

the earlier photo of the mustang chi-town hustler is a favorite being from the midwest; a tie would go to bud richter's 'gold digger' w/gary bolger driving

Not a funny car - it was an AA/GS - but at the time, this was my favorite Mustang drag car and it still ranks right up there. "Ohio George" Montgomery's Boss 429 powered Malco Gasser.

a8eff948535763268a9a498d478a83ec.jpg

The Mustang II made a really nice FC, but for me the 71-73 Mustangs were the shite. I am slightly biased though I had a ‘73 Mach 1 w/351 Cleveland.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back