Lions Most Carnage Filled Race-72 Grand Premier? (1 Viewer)

TopFuel@Lions

Nitro Member
This race might be the most carnage filled weekend of racing at the greatest drag strip of all time, Lions.

In the final year of operation Steve Evans had the Grand premier on tap to open the 1972 season. A full menu of classes on tap graced the track.

Mayhem ensued.

1. Stan Shiroma va-voomed the supercharger and took the roof off the Midnite Skulker Barracuda.

2. Omar "The Tentmaker" Carruthers kicked the rods out and endured a major fire in his Mustang.

3. Gary Burgin and Joe Winters got into a 2-car wreck. Burgin's Vega in the left lane about 100 feet out got into a power stand and drifted to the right and got into Winters Mustang, contact was made and Burgin's car went turtle and over to the left upside down.

4. Jack Martin in the brand new Penner & Beach ride did a major wheelie and went over backwards destroying that mid-engine ride.

5. Then the worst, Funny Car racer Bob McFarland in the right lane ka-boomed the engine and had a major fire, one of the worst I had seen up to that point, he went all the way down the shut off on fire, smoke billowing, he could not see, drifted over to the left lane onto a dirt pile and just burned. A very brave Mickey Thompson braved the fire and got Bob out of the car all the while the safety team tried to put out the flames. McFarland suffered very bad burns but did survive.

*Then throw in some less violent engine failures and many broken parts made this race in my eyes one the most carnage filled races at 223rd & Alameda.

TopFuel@Lions

TopFuel@Lions

I guess everyone wanted to be a part of that race, & of course, win it. Agree, lotsa carnage. I had a front row seat to the Burgin / Winters crash & also the Penner-Beach car doing that over backwards wheelie. Seem to remember that there were quite a few over backwards wheelies with the back motor cars. "I ain't puttin' no sissy wheelie bars on my dragster....."

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back