Excitement Gone! (1 Viewer)

Slightly off topic, but this is the mater, who stays on topic anyway :)

Mike Larson mentioned how we barely have 3 pro categories. From a sponsor standpoint he is right, heck if you watch the mass exodus from the stands when pro stock comes up, fans are voting that way too. I don't get it, I'll watch anything without a throttle stop race but I'm a junkie.

With the problem's Erica has in keeping sponsors in PS, I have always wondered why she hasn't gone to Nitro. Not sure if she's been asked but it would seem she would be able to get some sponsor money there.

Anyway back to your regularly scheduled ranting sky is falling or unicorn riding everything is great thread. Whatever suits you. :)

I would like to know when I ever said NHRA was Gold? Poor TV ratings, crowds at some tracks, high ticket prices keeping families away are just a few of my gripes. But if I didn't think I was getting my $$$ worth at the track, I would stop going! Find some alternative form of entertainment to spend my
Money on! Like Barry Turner said, if you haven't been to the track in years as some here apparently haven't, quit your crying!

PJ Erica is a good driver, but if she decided to go to nitro it wouldn't necessarily mean she could get a ride. Male or female, there will always be more supply of drivers than demand. At least for now, she's out there, in a top flight ride.

True Nunzio, driving one doesn't mean you can do another. It just surprises me that a top flight team is wondering if they can run the season, especially with her marketablity

I have repeatedly complained about the way NHRA is run by the current leaders but I can say that I'm excited anytime there is a race at Topeka or a race on TV. I like the last 50 laps of a Nascar race but I have to see all the qualifying and 4 rounds of eliminations in Drag Racing, it's in my blood. There is as much excitement as there ever has been for me.

I get to see two races a year, one in Topeka when I am visiting family in Kansas City, and once at Epping, about 1.5 hours away from where I live. I am stoked to go everytime.

Jesse, I grew up in Olathe, so you're just hop, skip, and jump away from my old stomping grounds.

For all that those that are stating that drag racing is dying or dead, please go find another sport you can bitch about, you are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

I built my car so I could race another car, not for some "fans". I take my car to car shows and let kids sit in my car and they love it, that's just one way of get them hooked!

To all the bitchers and whiners, do something positive or just go away, please don't try to ruin it for the rest of us.

Paul; it is guys like you and Joe who think everything is great that IS THE PROBLEM. You probably think everything is great in our current federal Government too.

Drag racing itself is experiencing a strong interest base. Some of the largest crowds at non NHRA events are testimony to this. Some of the grudge events are having turn away crowds. When that fake street racing reality TV show, pulls WAY more viewers that NHRA on ESPN, something is not right.

Some people will just never get it.

Paul; it is guys like you and Joe who think everything is great that IS THE PROBLEM. You probably think everything is great in our current federal Government too.

Drag racing itself is experiencing a strong interest base. Some of the largest crowds at non NHRA events are testimony to this. Some of the grudge events are having turn away crowds. When that fake street racing reality TV show, pulls WAY more viewers that NHRA on ESPN, something is not right.

You obviously either have a reading disorder or comprehension disorder, where did I state "everything was great"?

You only seem to "get it" when you resort to lying?

Jay i don't think anyone here believes everything is rosy. I think PJ posted above that it's ok to enjoy it AND complain about the problems (in so many words). We all have our own version of how things should be, but it will never be perfect. I'm just choosing to enjoy the sport wherever, whenever, and however I can, cuz I still think it's badass. I don't believe we need fuel cars going 330mph in 1000 ft to make a great show, but I was at the 1000ft mark this weekend when Cruz went by, flames roof high on his 3.95, and i gotta tell ya, the excitement was there! And, I helped push my buddy Steve Comella's SS/AH Dart in the staging lanes, around the corner and onto the starting line. When we came around the walls, and he fired the car for the SS/AH class final, looking down the track I was pumped as if I was in the car. So I still dig this sport at every level. Yeah, I know, I'm a junkie...

Jay i don't think anyone here believes everything is rosy. I think PJ posted above that it's ok to enjoy it AND complain about the problems (in so many words). We all have our own version of how things should be, but it will never be perfect. I'm just choosing to enjoy the sport wherever, whenever, and however I can, cuz I still think it's badass. I don't believe we need fuel cars going 330mph in 1000 ft to make a great show, but I was at the 1000ft mark this weekend when Cruz went by, flames roof high on his 3.95, and i gotta tell ya, the excitement was there! And, I helped push my buddy Steve Comella's SS/AH Dart in the staging lanes, around the corner and onto the starting line. When we came around the walls, and he fired the car for the SS/AH class final, looking down the track I was pumped as if I was in the car. So I still dig this sport at every level. Yeah, I know, I'm a junkie...
If your going to be a junkie...a drag racing junkie is not a bad thing to be. My hats off to You, Paul, Joe, and all the rest of the drag racing junkies out here that still keep that Nhra fire burning pretty bright.

I dont argue with everyone, just those on the Sidelines telling the rest of us we are wasting our time and money following this sport!

Along with bitterness, I guess I could add dementia.
Please quote me where I said this?

Joe, you have something out of whack in your thinker... Those things you are seeing, they aren't real.

You obviously didn't read my response to PJ's post....

Yup, being a female driver used to have automatic sponsor appeal. But with SOO many Female drivers over the years, the novelty has worn off!
Joe, are you going to be at Joliet? If so, maybe i will see you there...you know you are welcome to stop by anytime.

Along with bitterness, I guess I could add dementia.
Please quote me where I said this?

Joe, you have something out of whack in your thinker... Those things you are seeing, they aren't real.

Well you have said you haven't attended
Joe, are you going to be at Joliet? If so, maybe i will see you there...you know you are welcome to stop by anytime.

Yes, Thanks Eugene! Gotta say hi to Alice....lol

I think what we have is the classic case of "familiarity breeds contempt". Fans go, get hooked, become familiar with the nuances and personality of the sport and then start finding things to b!tch about or see where they think they can do things better. We are all guilty. Some folks draw a line in the sand and stop going or watching, others keep going because they love it too much.

People also want what they don't/can't have. We all want the "little guy" taking it to the "big guy". But the reality is if you downsize the big teams, the big teams would still win and we would either have less cars or more leakers. Then everyone would be wistful for the good old days of the megateams of DSR and JFR duking it out every weekend.

For me, I am going to keep going and watching. I love it too much. All I want to know is that there is a plan in place. Somewhere, someone is working towards going back to the quarter mile or increasing car counts or lowering ticket prices, or whatever the gripe du jour is. As long as that is happening, I will suffer the short-term consequences for long-term success.

For me, I am going to keep going and watching. I love it too much. All I want to know is that there is a plan in place. Somewhere, someone is working towards going back to the quarter mile or increasing car counts or lowering ticket prices, or whatever the gripe du jour is. As long as that is happening, I will suffer the short-term consequences for long-term success.
Agreed, I would love the NHRA to have a press conference on the state of the sport to hear them acknowledge the shortfalls of the sport currently and what actions they are taking to improve these areas of concern. I love going to the races and will likely continue to go with my kids regardless of what they do with the show. The race weekends at E-Town and Maple Grove give me an opportunity to go back home and spend time with my father as we both like the National Event show, so this is another reason why I won't stop going. The older that I get I cherish these opportunities more each year.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back