Excitement Gone! (1 Viewer)

Pete

Nitro Member
I have been to more nationals than I can count, but always booked just Friday and Saturday, because it was more bang for the buck and the excitement and underdog nature of the nonqualifier trying to get in.
But now with NHRA barely having full fields, all of that is simply gone. I cant even watch qualifying anymore...its pathetic! Im sure Im not the only one that feels this way and Im also sure the NHRA could care less that A 35+ year fan and racer doesnt want to spend his $$$ for a family of 4 to goto their races anymore.

Really friggin sad

I agree 100%, the 3 pro car classes are more like 16 car match races with qualifying just being a test and tune session.

I used to go to National Events but I always went on Friday or Saturday.

I enjoy walking through the pits and watching and talking to people more then sitting in a seat just watching races.

I always enjoyed racing and now when someone say's do you want to go and just watch the races I really have no interest in that.

The NHRA along with Nascar and many other forms of racing and including professional golf are trying to figure out what is going on. Is it the all just the economy or are peoples interest changing?

I talk other fathers and when they ask their kids would you like to go to a drag race they tell me the kids what to see the Monster Trucks jumping over cars instead!

Jim Hill

I used to go to National Events but I always went on Friday or Saturday.

I enjoy walking through the pits and watching and talking to people more then sitting in a seat just watching races.

I always enjoyed racing and now when someone say's do you want to go and just watch the races I really have no interest in that.

The NHRA along with Nascar and many other forms of racing and including professional golf are trying to figure out what is going on. Is it the all just the economy or are peoples interest changing?

I talk other fathers and when they ask their kids would you like to go to a drag race they tell me the kids what to see the Monster Trucks jumping over cars instead!

Jim Hill
me too, Friday was ALWAYS my day since 1993 (92 I went on a thursday and 2001 I tried Saturday) the Night Qualifying when it WAS Night Qualifying. since 2004 I started doing multiple days and since 2011 I've done all 4 days.

As I said in another post, 16 TF for E-Town, 17 FC, 16 maybe 17 for PS and Full Fields in Bike and Pro Mod as well as Comp and Top Dragster and many skipping the event. Laporte, Richards, Paul Smith all not coming. Usually they'd be there this weekend.

There's a lot more than NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing out there. I had the same issues, found a lot of very competitive drag racing to enjoy.

Don't give up, find another kind of drag racing and jump in with both feet.

I agree with Darr. Still love drag racing and rekindled my love my taking it other shows. Still see an NHRA show once per year but nowhere near as many as I used too.

I have been to more nationals than I can count, but always booked just Friday and Saturday, because it was more bang for the buck and the excitement and underdog nature of the nonqualifier trying to get in.
But now with NHRA barely having full fields, all of that is simply gone. I cant even watch qualifying anymore...its pathetic! Im sure Im not the only one that feels this way and Im also sure the NHRA could care less that A 35+ year fan and racer doesnt want to spend his $$$ for a family of 4 to goto their races anymore.

Really friggin sad
Well you must have been preoccupied with something else when T/F was racing last season.

Darr, I have shifted gears and I started down the ADRL road until it dried up and converted to the PDRA and now I cant get enough. Bug the true passion the last 5-6 years are the Nostalgia Fuel Cars!

Darr, I have shifted gears and I started down the ADRL road until it dried up and converted to the PDRA and now I cant get enough. Bug the true passion the last 5-6 years are the Nostalgia Fuel Cars!

Pete, well said, if you can't find some kind of drag racing to support, race or enjoy, too bad - your loss. I have found genuine friends, great people, innovative tuners, talented drivers and so much fun in NMCA, PSCA, IHRA, Heritage-type racing, alcohol funny cars and fast door cars.

If NHRA suits figure out how to fix their issues of racing costs, dwindling spectators, 1320/1000 feet, etc. great, I wish them nothing but success. In the meantime other racers and promoters who have been squeezed out of the Mello Yello show are still going to race and continue to put on drag racing shows.

Find your new drag racing passion and bring a friend or two with you in that quest.

Jim Hill

There's truth in a good percentage of children that purposely reject what their parents like. I can only hope that's true and in 5-10 years I'll never have to see another rap star, see another inner-city strife movie, a TV show about cops, or hear the "like us on Facebook". Something tells me I'm SOL.

I gave up on NHRA "Big Show" in 2008 too pricey.....
SO i help out my local racetracks and racers......3 events a year $20 to get in,i KNOW the people and i can TALK with them and even on occasion help a bit... I can take pictures track side(except at Tulsa, that is a NHRA track) but they have great stands and i can get good video of the runs.
SO why PAYuowards of $60 and be just anotehr butt in the stands or PAY $20 and have a fun filled ENJOYABLE day......
I know where ill be at...

still love going to the drag races. im excited about being at Englishtown on sunday. and ill be at reading if I can make it.
weather , so far, sound good and I think there will be a good crowd if the sun is out and its not too hot. my cousin is taking his two kids on Saturday. so there are two young fans.

Well you must have been preoccupiediwith something else when T/F was racing last season.
I only went to Epping last year and they had a total of 16 TF and 17 FC's. I know its tough for teams to stay on tour and I respect that. But like it was said, "qualifying has turned into test and tune sessions".

still love going to the drag races. im excited about being at Englishtown on sunday. and ill be at reading if I can make it.
weather , so far, sound good and I think there will be a good crowd if the sun is out and its not too hot. my cousin is taking his two kids on Saturday. so there are two young fans.
Yes forcast sounds great, mid 70's, cloudy, sea level track...if that stays true, prepair to re-wright some records.:cool::cool:
wish I was going.

Yes forcast sounds great, mid 70's, cloudy, sea level track...if that stays true, prepair to re-wright some records.:cool::cool:
wish I was going.

i shared on the FB Pages and with lewis Bloom this stat about PS at RP Currently;

Pro Stock Stat for Summernationals;
Right now Englishtown has not had a 6.40 Run in Pro Stock yet, The track record is still from 2011 6.508 from Jason Line.

WJ ran the first 6.80 at Richmond the night he ran 200 in 1997 6.894
Jeggie 6.894 Gaineville 98
WJ 6.890 Houston 98
WJ 6.888 Rockingham 98
WJ 6.884 Seattle 98
WJ 6.881 Memphis 98
WJ 6.892 Dallas 2 98
WJ 6.891 Pomona Finals 98
RP's first 6.80 run in 1999 when WJ Ran 6.875

8 Tracks had 6.80 runs before E-town did

Maple Grove had the first 6.70 Run in 2001 With Darrell Alderman 6.788
WJ Ran 6.783 in 2002 at E-Town

2nd track in the 6.70s

Greg Anderson being the first 6.60 back in 2003, so that joins KJ in the RP Pro Stock Barrier breakers.

Greg Anderson ran the first 6.50 at Richmond in 2006 6.598
Anderson 6.566 Gainesville 2007
Richie Stevens ran 6.598 on Friday Night in 2007

3rd track in the 6.50s

Now If I remember Correctly, Mike Edwards made the first 6.40 run at Gainesville 2011 6.496
Jason Line ran 6.483 at Maple Grove 2011
Line ran 6.493 at Charlotte 4 wide 2012
Line ran 6.496 at St Louis 2012
Line ran 6.495 at Pomona Finals 2012
Mike Edwards ran 6.498 at Phoenix 2013
Dave Connolly ran 6.496 at Atlanta This Year

7 tracks have already made 6.40 runs as of now, RP has yet to see one, it's already the longest drought in time than when the 6.80 was run in 99. Still one off from the longest in different tracks before RP. The conditions this weekend I will be stunned if no one runs a 40. We should be out of "bizarro world" This weekend.

Man, back in the 80s we were thrilled to show up and watch them try to fill 8 car fields. Have things really changed that much?

While I've always attended multiple days at National events, nothing gives me goose bumps like the trailing notes of the national anthem on Sunday. Now it's racing, no second chances, no go back and try something else. You lose, your on the trailer. If I could only attend 1 day of a National event it would be Sunday.

i shared on the FB Pages and with lewis Bloom this stat about PS at RP Currently;

7 tracks have already made 6.40 runs as of now, RP has yet to see one, it's already the longest drought in time than when the 6.80 was run in 99. Still one off from the longest in different tracks before RP. The conditions this weekend I will be stunned if no one runs a 40. We should be out of "bizarro world" This weekend.

You got too much time on your hands! Haha! But really, it would be a nice way to celebrate the 20th anniversary of KJ's record breaking run with a new national ET record. Friday night looks good, but if the humidity stays down, Saturday could be even better. Too bad they moved the Pro Stock Challenge out of there. I wish we had our May or September date back at Joliet. However, we didn't do too bad with the 3 second barrier in funny car last year. :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back