Espy Awards last night (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
Sadly, I heard that our own Melanie Troxel did not win this year.

Best Female Athlete Annika Sorenstam
Best Driver Tony Stewart

Melanie, congratulations for being nominated for both awards. There's always next year.

That's too bad Jackee.

Really 'woulda been a long shot given the "stick and ball" orientation of the sports media. (Not a bash - Just a fact we've got to recognize and work with.)

True, it was GREAT just to be nominated. In the words of the great sage, "Keep stumbling forward!"

Jim

It's still great exposure for her and drag racing. I am sorry she wasn't able to win one, but there's always next year!

I'm sorry but golfers are NOT athletes!
It isn't an athletic sport it is a game of skill!
That's to bad Melanie didn't get it she is having a great year.
Congrat's to Annika Sorenstam.

I'm sorry but golfers are NOT athletes!
It isn't an athletic sport it is a game of skill!
That's to bad Melanie didn't get it she is having a great year.
Congrat's to Annika Sorenstam.

Ok, I am a huge drag racing and golf fan. In every sport the professionals in it are some kind of athlete. I think the debate now is if they call Poker a sport but all I know is I can play cards for hours on time but I dont know if I could play 12 hours long like they do in some tournaments. There's some kind of athletic edge there. Not that walking is hard by any means, but some of those courses are nightmares to walk. Golf is by far the HARDEST thing I have ever tried to do. Drag racing aint even close but I will agree with you that it is more of a game of skill than being athletes but they are still athletes. Just not 6'6 300lb linemen.

Thought she had a chance at female Award, but any body knew the driver award was a wash against the nascar bunch.:rolleyes: At least we (drag racing) got some play.

Sadly, I heard that our own Melanie Troxel did not win this year.

Best Female Athlete Annika Sorenstam
Best Driver Tony Stewart

Melanie, congratulations for being nominated for both awards. There's always next year.

Yep. Still very good exposure for her and the sport.

I debate with my wife all the time about drivers being athletes, because they are (imo), and professional golfers are athletes as well.

Congrats on the nomination though Melanie, it's a step in the right direction for you and for drag racing.

Congrats Mel... Hopefully when you win the championship you will get the proper recognition...

I debate with my wife all the time about drivers being athletes, because they are (imo), and professional golfers are athletes as well.

Congrats on the nomination though Melanie, it's a step in the right direction for you and for drag racing.

ath-lete n. a person trained or gifted in exercises or contest involving physical agility, stamina, or strength.

You hit a ball and walk after it in some cases take a cart = Not an athlete!;)
But that's just my opinion and websters definition.

ath-lete n. a person trained or gifted in exercises or contest involving physical agility, stamina, or strength.

Guess you have never played golf since you dont think you need stamina. Stamina comes with everything. And I guess strength doesnt play a role either since a guy like John Daly who can bomb it 350 is always 50 yds closer than a little guy who can only hit it 300. I am not saying that golfers are the biggest athletes, but they are athletes. Answer me this: If golfers arent, then how are drag racers who just strap themselves into a rocket and steer it???

Tony Stewart?
Really?
Was the criteria number of walls hit, competitors rammed, tantrums thrown, anger management citations, pit confrontations, cars ruined and relationships ruined? He's the hands-down winner then!

If you don't think golf is a sport, go on tour and take all that money from the non-athletic types that currently take it.

Tony Stewart?
Really?
Was the criteria number of walls hit, competitors rammed, tantrums thrown, anger management citations, pit confrontations, cars ruined and relationships ruined? He's the hands-down winner then!

If you don't think golf is a sport, go on tour and take all that money from the non-athletic types that currently take it.

Tony Stewart is one of most talented drivers in motorsports today. You can ask professional journalist and they will tell you that. His performance this year has been shaky, but a lot of that was out of his hands. All drivers get into the back of other cars from time to time; look at Jeff Gordon and Matt Kenseth this year. You may not like his temper, but you have to respect his talent.

A couple quick observations about golf: first, I'm fairly certain the PGA (and most likely the LPGA, too) does not allow players to use carts ever. I'm fairly certain those players are required to walk the course. Second, the first summer my husband started playing golf weekly, he lost 20 pounds. I carried his bag once and told him that was for the birds. I'd rather go to the gym. Lifting weights and riding the bike for 45 minutes is easier.

I was most pleased to see Melanie was nominated for a pair of ESPYs. I was going to watch last night, but was distracted, unfortunately, when late yesterday afternoon my two-month-old Blackberry flew off my belt and into the toilet. I spent much of last night treating it like an infant in the NICU.

Anyway, thank goodness for the Mater, otherwise I wouldn't know what the hell is going on anymore.

Guess you have never played golf since you dont think you need stamina. Stamina comes with everything. And I guess strength doesnt play a role either since a guy like John Daly who can bomb it 350 is always 50 yds closer than a little guy who can only hit it 300. I am not saying that golfers are the biggest athletes, but they are athletes. Answer me this: If golfers arent, then how are drag racers who just strap themselves into a rocket and steer it???

John Daly wouldn't be someone I use to make a point about athletism. I agree he can smash it. Here is a question for you how many athletes smoke? LOL
Yes I have played the game it's not high on my list but if you ever need to close a business deal you better know how.
What stamina are you talking about? If you are exhausted after playing 18 holes I would advise you to go see your doctor because there could be something wrong.
Race car drivers especially Drag Racers put thier bodies through "G" forces that are extremely hard on them that type of experience would qualify them as far as I'm concerned.
Do you ever see how out of breath they are after a single run?
I will just say that we agree to disagree and leave it at that. ;)
I know people who play a lot and one thing is for sure they are passionate about the game so I don't want to offend anybody who enjoys the game but I for one don't consider them athlete's, I do think they are highly skilled at what they do and it is a hard game to master.:)

A couple quick observations about golf: first, I'm fairly certain the PGA (and most likely the LPGA, too) does not allow players to use carts ever. I'm fairly certain those players are required to walk the course. Second, the first summer my husband started playing golf weekly, he lost 20 pounds. I carried his bag once and told him that was for the birds. I'd rather go to the gym. Lifting weights and riding the bike for 45 minutes is easier.

I was most pleased to see Melanie was nominated for a pair of ESPYs. I was going to watch last night, but was distracted, unfortunately, when late yesterday afternoon my two-month-old Blackberry flew off my belt and into the toilet. I spent much of last night treating it like an infant in the NICU.

Anyway, thank goodness for the Mater, otherwise I wouldn't know what the hell is going on anymore.

The ESPY's were Wednesday, but they were taped & will not air until this weekend (Saturday if I'm not mistaken).

And you're correct, the PGA & LPGA do not allow carts, no one can give you piggy backs either:p they walk the course. And golf is and can be physically exhausting, especially if you're not use to playing. I use to fancy myself as an athlete (where does the time go):eek: I was strong, active, in shape, etc. but the very first time I played golf I couldn't beleive how tired I became. Using my muscles in a way they hadn't been use to, the walking, and skill level required... golf is very much a sport.

If you feel like it isn't, then that's okay... maybe it comes much eaiser for you than it does me.:)

You should really think about giving golfers kudos for being ahtletes..the pros anyway. If they make the cut it's 72 holes over 4 days..and look again at the definition you posted..Webster does have it right.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back