Espy Awards last night (1 Viewer)

"Sports is what you Make Them"
How many times has that been in our face the last year or so?
Golf Is... Don't play it...
Pool is... do shoot it... harder for a half blind old man then most people think... At the bowling alley, I've seen more than one game of pool turn into a boxing match :eek: JMHO

Pretty good article in "The Write Lane" of the July 7th edition of National Dragster (last page) that discusses the very subject of athleticism in racing. Doesn't touch on golf, but makes some valid arguments for racing in general and drag racing specifically.

As for Melanie, I was fairly confident she wasn't going to win either ESPY, but the exposure for NHRA was great.

Regardless of what you think about Ms. Sorenstam, her record speaks for itself when you look at it - Melanie isn't there yet... and I stress yet. As young as she is and with as much talent as she has, she may be looking at the great Shirley Muldowney's records in her rear view mirror some day...

And I agree with whoever spoke of Tony Stewart's talents as well. He can flat out drive a race car. Temper or not, he's gifted. There have been a lot of famous, revered drag racing legends with tempers over the years too. Doesn't make it right and doesn't mean they're not talented, it just makes 'em human.

Bottom line: Lets continue to congratulate Melanie on her nominations & be thankful for the exposure, it's another small step forward for our great sport - Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day.

A couple quick observations about golf: first, I'm fairly certain the PGA (and most likely the LPGA, too) does not allow players to use carts ever. I'm fairly certain those players are required to walk the course. Second, the first summer my husband started playing golf weekly, he lost 20 pounds. I carried his bag once and told him that was for the birds. I'd rather go to the gym. Lifting weights and riding the bike for 45 minutes is easier.

I was most pleased to see Melanie was nominated for a pair of ESPYs. I was going to watch last night, but was distracted, unfortunately, when late yesterday afternoon my two-month-old Blackberry flew off my belt and into the toilet. I spent much of last night treating it like an infant in the NICU.

Anyway, thank goodness for the Mater, otherwise I wouldn't know what the hell is going on anymore.

True, Kris. But the professional golfers don't carry their own bags, so does that make the caddie the better athlete? Hmmm............... I don't think so.
How's the Blackberry? Hope it's responding to treatment!

You should really think about giving golfers kudos for being ahtletes..the pros anyway. If they make the cut it's 72 holes over 4 days..and look again at the definition you posted..Webster does have it right.

I do give Golfers credit it is an extremely hard game to master. But this is an argument that has been around for quite some time and I'm on the side of the non athlete's.
To me if someone is good at what they choose to do I totally respect that!
I refer to athletes as swimmers, gymnist, triathlete’s, cyclists were the body is pushed to its limits and stamina is paramount and golf just doesn't fit the bill.

In my opinion, if you can drink beer and smoke while you're doing it, it's not a sport.:D

Athleticism, golfers and drag race car drivers...there's an oxymoron.

I guess they do require some form of athleticism, but they are both pretty low on my athleticism totem pole. High on the list would be... 1)NHL Hockey, 2)NBA Basketball and 3)NFL Football.

John Daly wouldn't be someone I use to make a point about athletism. I agree he can smash it. Here is a question for you how many athletes smoke? LOL
Yes I have played the game it's not high on my list but if you ever need to close a business deal you better know how.
What stamina are you talking about? If you are exhausted after playing 18 holes I would advise you to go see your doctor because there could be something wrong.
Race car drivers especially Drag Racers put thier bodies through "G" forces that are extremely hard on them that type of experience would qualify them as far as I'm concerned.
Do you ever see how out of breath they are after a single run?
I will just say that we agree to disagree and leave it at that. ;)
I know people who play a lot and one thing is for sure they are passionate about the game so I don't want to offend anybody who enjoys the game but I for one don't consider them athlete's, I do think they are highly skilled at what they do and it is a hard game to master.:)
At the next NHRA race, hang out in the staginglanes and count the number of fat guys driving race cars...yeah, their really pushing the limits:rolleyes:

The ESPY's like the Oscars are held in the Kodak theater. That whole Hollywood and Highland set-up which the Kodak Theater's part of; is the Best thing they could have done for that Part of Old Hollyweird! That whole area had become so rundown over the years it wasn't funny. Now a lot of the sex shops are being Pushed out for Mainstream retail stores. :cool:

Okay, just Checked out TJ's Blog and all I can say is... Hey Mel's definitely a Female... Loved the dress... And TJ looked really sharp... and who's Janet Jackson? :D

A check of the TV section in today's paper shows that the ESPY awards show will be rebroadcast on ESPN at midnight tonight also.

He sure is! He was my wife’s 20th anniversary gift to me his name is "Gus" and I like his stubborn but smart personality it gives him character.

Sound like anyone you know? ;) How old is he? You ought to start a thread in the Lounge with some pics.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back