TORRENCE IS ESPY NOMINEE (1 Viewer)

TORRENCE AMONG ESPY FINALISTS
NHRA Champion Vies for Best Driver Award with Hamilton, Busch, Dixon

LOS ANGELES, Calif. – Steve Torrence, who made drag racing history last year when he swept the six races comprising the NHRA’s Countdown to the Championship, is among four finalists for the Best Driver award to be presented Wednesday, July 10, during the 27th annual ESPY Awards at the Microsoft Theater.

The 36-year-old Texan will be in select company. The other nominees are 2017 Best Driver ESPY winner Lewis Hamilton from Formula 1, 2016 Best Driver ESPY recipient Kyle Busch from NASCAR and five-time ESPY nominee Scott Dixon from IndyCar.

“I am honored to represent the NHRA and drag racing as a Best Driver ESPY nominee,” Torrence said, “especially since I’m in such select company with Formula 1, Indy Car and NASCAR drivers. It’s just a testament to the dedication and hard work of the Capco boys who put a great car under me every week.”

Torrence, who as a teenager battled Hodgkins lymphoma, has won 24 of the last 55 Mello Yello tour events as driver of the Capco Contractors Top Fuel dragster. Although a drag racer never has won the Best Driver ESPY, Torrence is the 10th NHRA professional nominated.

This year’s ESPY Awards, hosted by comedian Tracy Morgan, will be televised live on ABC-TV at 7 p.m., Central time.

An acronym for Excellence in Sports Performance Yearly, the ESPY’s manifestation is a statuette sculpted by the late Lawrence Nowlan that is awarded to the premier performers in a variety of sports and individual events.

Torrence joins a list of drag racing nominees that includes John Force (2000-2003, 2011, 2014), Tony Schumacher (2007-2009), Erica Enders (2015-2016), Greg Anderson (2005, 2011), Tony Pedregon (2004), Melanie Troxel (2006), Del Worsham (2012), Ron Capps (2017) and Brittany Force (2018).

Since a fan vote is one of the elements in the selection process, the NHRA has created a special site to accommodate drag racing fans who wish to participate. To cast a vote for Steve Torrence go to www.NHRA.com/VoteSteve.

ESPY02.jpg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back