ESPN screwing us again (1 Viewer)

It appears that some folks think they (ESPN) are doing us a favor by covering our sport at all. I strongly disagree. Pointing to the Wide World of Sports coverage back in the 70's is giving them an excuse to do whatever they please. It's a "give me anything and I should be happy" mentality, and that sucks.

If the coverage is being paid for, the broadcast times should be guaranteed. It is a taped program, so they know how long it will take. If they need to move the broadcasts around between ESPN and ESPN2, do it. They should be able to structure the schedule between their multiple channels to do so, and do so well in advance of the events.

Dead on the money, Bob. Every time ESPN pulls one of their pre-emptions, it does nothing but belittle and embarrass the sport. I guess what the Glendora Gang mean when they gush about "taking the sport to the next level with ESPN" is having the bar lay flat on the ground.

I too, remember when we had to wait until the late fall to see the Indy finals on Wide World of Sports. It was always shared with at least one other sport, and they would show a little of each. It's also hard to fathom waiting 2 weeks for ND to come in the mail to see who won the most recent event. Cool memories though, I remember trying to grab ND from the mailbox before my dad to see who won a particular race. The problem today, however, is a catch 22. Everyone talks about the low ratings for NHRA being a reason it is not treated with more importance. Well, how can these time slots do anything to attract anything but the most hardcore of viewers? I'm as diehard as any Mater here, but even I have trouble watching until 1:00am or later, especially when I can set my recorder and watch it commercial-free!

I've heard one of the main ways that ESPN determines what shows come on when is by how often people use the links on their site. So instead of going straight to NHRA.com, go through ESPN to get there. Maybe it's true, maybe not, but I guess it wouldn't hurt anything to try.

my selfish opinion is the later the better; my day's work and activities
are over and i can end the day with my recliner, food and drag racing;
however, as was earlier posted, out of prime viewing does not equate
to sponsor exposure and again as earlier posted, hence the
solid white TF points leader.
I would be interested to know the different in neilson points throughout
the season - split into 3 groups - the 3-4pm broadcasts - the 6-7pm broadcasts
and the 9pm and later broadcasts.
I have would hate to think the #'s would be the same, if so that mite be
the tell-tale sign that it's only us fans tuning in.

As I tried to stay awake and watch the broadcast, I really felt bad for the sponsor "Pro Care Rx". I was unable to stay awake and I know their target market was sound asleep..................

Given the number of non-mainstream spectator sports covered on the Deuce (like bicycle MX, billiards, poker, bowling, spelling bees, eating contests), I have to wonder how many of these "sports" actually pay for coverage on ESPN.

It appears that some folks think they (ESPN) are doing us a favor by covering our sport at all. I strongly disagree. Pointing to the Wide World of Sports coverage back in the 70's is giving them an excuse to do whatever they please. It's a "give me anything and I should be happy" mentality, and that sucks.

If the coverage is being paid for, the broadcast times should be guaranteed. It is a taped program, so they know how long it will take. If they need to move the broadcasts around between ESPN and ESPN2, do it. They should be able to structure the schedule between their multiple channels to do so, and do so well in advance of the events.

I don't see that happening. ESPN has Sunday Night Baseball. I [luckly] did'nt have to work today, but still fell asleep around 1:00am last night and missed the finals.
Would'nt you think ESPN would have any coverage on Sportscenter? Not unless there is a spectacular crash, they don't have any highlights.:confused:
Yet they'll show the results of some "hotdog eating contest".

Well, I'm not going to whine.

I'm thankful for whatever coverage I get to see..late or otherwise..and I enjoyed it.

Thanks for mentioning that, Bobby..after that play I thought how much I miss basic fundamentals. They don't even do that anymore in the bigs!

So do they ever actually cut away from one program to begin another?? I'm trying to see the other point of view....If I was as big a fan of college baseball as I am of Powerade drag racing and if I've waited all season for last night, I'd be one pizzed off dude if all the sudden in the top of the 9th they cut away to friggin car racing. I guess you can't please everyone. It will always be something. Trust me, if they get the drag racing vs. baseball schedule worked out... the Figure Skating people will start itching for more air time

Chris
You have a good point.......right up until they start the friggin dog pile, hugfest, talk about going pro, line up to high five, hand the plaque, talk to TV guy..............:)

I missed the whole race, didnt get to see 1 Fueler, Funny Car, PS Car or PSB go down the track all weekend. Just be grateful that some of you have DVR's and TiVo, not everyone has that...at least you got to see something.

Edit: And after reading about that college baseball play i WISH i could have seen that...thanks for the description Doc! :D

Youse guys oughta file a Class Action lawsuit and get your MONEY BACK !!!!
:D:cool:

Now that is funny!!

Talk about whiners. My god people, live programs going over there alloted time slot does actually happen believe it or not. If NHRA broadcast on ESPN live, how many times would they go over their alloted time? Then what would you want the Network to do?

With the NASCAR Busch race they should have brought out the white checker flags and called it a race.
The College World Series should have been called at that moment or let each team bat one more time regardless of the inning they were in because NHRA was coming up at the top of the hour. :rolleyes:

PATIENCE PEOPLE PATIENCE!

I too fell asleep about 12.30 and missed the semis and finals.
The race could be shown starting anytime around three or four eastern time and would wrap up around six or seven pm. This makes more sense than showing the race in the middle of the night.
Point being they have a pretty large window to show the race in without going until 1:45 AM.:confused:

So do they ever actually cut away from one program to begin another?? I'm trying to see the other point of view....If I was as big a fan of college baseball as I am of Powerade drag racing and if I've waited all season for last night, I'd be one pizzed off dude if all the sudden in the top of the 9th they cut away to friggin car racing. I guess you can't please everyone. It will always be something. Trust me, if they get the drag racing vs. baseball schedule worked out... the Figure Skating people will start itching for more air time

The only cut away I've ever seen was of Powerade Drag Racing. Just a few weeks ago as a matter of fact, just before the final qualifying round.

Jason - I am 60 and was probably voting in every possible election before you were born. FYI - ESPN has a policy of not cutting away from live programs to air a recorded program. Tonight's delay was caused by the finals of the College World Series - a big event for baseball fans (who outnumber drag racing fans by a HUGE margin).
If you have a problem with this, you should probably contact NHRA for an explanation of why they don''t PAY more to get drag racing in better time slots. Face facts and be grateful that we get same day results - you probably don't remember paying to call the Castrol 900 number!

so despite the advances in technology and the widespread proliferation of multiple espn channels, you claim we should just be happy that we no longer live in the stone age and accept the blatent disregard espn has for the nhra programming. once again, you ignore the underlying problem here. the problem is not the overrun itself. the problem is the poor scheduling. we're not talking about a 5 or 10 minute overrun. we're talking 50 and 60 minutes. these are big time screwups and account for 25% of the total time of the program. maybe they need some new logistics people.

you can continue to accept the status quo based on your accounts of the distant past, but as an avid drag racing fan and a consumer that pays a good deal of money for cable tv and espn, i'm not going to sit back and "be thankful" that i don't have to call a toll number to get results. i'm going to do all i can to get it changed, and unless people speak up, nothing ever will.

ESPN and NHRA could give a crap about what is said here or any of the other message boards.:rolleyes: THE ONLY WAY THEY WILL HEAR IS, TO FLOOD THEM WITH E-MAILS. imho.

I wonder how many people did like I did yesterday. I listened to the audiocast all day, then watched first round elims when they came on and then went to sleep. If they have to show it that late at night, it should at least be replayed at a decent hour...like now, while they are playing poker on the duece since the College World Series is over.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back