ESPN coverage is Horrible !!!!! (1 Viewer)

I enjoy the live espn 3 show on friday. I wish they were all like that. All the announcers mikes are open and the poke fun at each other a lot, and its not scripted. Only the cameramen are down at the far end and the questions are asked from everyone. I found myself laughing and enjoying it a whole lot more than the sunday shows!!

Exactly why my DVR is set to record 1 hour longer then the scheduled time. Pretty much covers any run overs.

Ditto. I've come to expect THE MOST POWERFUL AND FASTEST ACCELERATING SPORT IN THE UNIVERSE to be delayed by something like "Men's Knitting Playoffs" :D

Last edited:
Do you have an app on your TV, or do you hook your computer up and watch it that way? Was thinking about doing the latter, but I don't know about the quality....

I hook it up via VGA and audio plug and tha TV is LED 65 inch.
The picture quality is pretty damn good!

Anything and everything is bumpable on espn except MLB baseball and NFL football which have 1hr or 30 minute lead in shows.

With some of the smart ppl on this board (including myself) why would we even need mics to be open. Watch the cars go down the track and make our own conclusions with RTs, ETs, and MPHs included of course. :p Maybe put on the Amercia cd or BTO cd :) in the background.

I think the Capps/JFR over coverage is due largely to the fact that their sponsors buy a ton of ads on the show. Sadly, since NHRA cannot produce a compelling enough event to put people in the stands, the TV time has to be bought by Glendora and, of course, the ad buyers rule the day. If LRS bought 10 ads per show, I think we would see coverage of Wilber's cat, and old footage of Daniel getting ready for the prom.

Last edited:
much talk comparing tnn/diamond p days with today; and it's two different
times.....period, but i think one thing could be pulled from yesteryear's
broadcasts that could improve today's telecasts.
start the show with a brief commentary on the location of event.
the old shows always started this way and i enjoyed it.
and tell the viewers what __th annual race it is; don't think enough folks
understand just how long some of the nat. events have been going on.

Anyone unhappy with ESPN's coverage of EVERY NHRA race should think back to the old ABC Wide World of Sports days when you saw 20-30 minutes of coverage of the Winternationals and maybe 20-30 minutes of the US Nationals and that was it for the year. :rolleyes:

Anyone unhappy with ESPN's coverage of EVERY NHRA race should think back to the old ABC Wide World of Sports days when you saw 20-30 minutes of coverage of the Winternationals and maybe 20-30 minutes of the US Nationals and that was it for the year. :rolleyes:

Exactly David....but then again, I'm sure someone here would b.i.t.c.h. about that too!

I don't consider ESPN coverage to be very good.

No point moaning though - they are doing their best

I cancelled my subscription, recently.

Even faced with a monopoly, the customer has a choice.

I don't consider ESPN coverage to be very good.

No point moaning though - they are doing their best

I cancelled my subscription, recently.

Even faced with a monopoly, the customer has a choice.

ESPN covers every NHRA race, the Diamond P coverage was hit or miss at best, and going way back ABC's Wide World of Sports did 20 - 30 minutes of coverage of one or two races a year. Yes Paul Page is a buffoon as an announcer, but we still get to see every race, with some live coverage. Hard to complain when you consider the alternatives...:cool:

I never understood the thought process that because something wasn't perfect "before" we should just shut up and accept whatever we have now?

no, things weren't always perfect in the past, but ESPN simply isn't doing good job, and they used to better...and what is frustrating is that the issues don't generally have to do with technology or physical limits, but poor editorial decisions and/or ignorance of what is relevant and what isn't :mad:

I too rememebr the days of ABC wide world of sports 2 or 3 races a year.
I liked the Diamond P days.
I enjoy the ESPN2 & ESPN3 telacasts,nothing is ever perfect,if you want perfect....go to the show for yourself!

I never understood the thought process that because something wasn't perfect "before" we should just shut up and accept whatever we have now?

no, things weren't always perfect in the past, but ESPN simply isn't doing good job, and they used to better...and what is frustrating is that the issues don't generally have to do with technology or physical limits, but poor editorial decisions and/or ignorance of what is relevant and what isn't :mad:

But, each step has been an improvement. It's an evolutionary process. I'll bet you weren't "perfect" when you first stepped foot on this earth either; and I'll bet you didn't have a bunch of people whining about your imperfections.:p

But, each step has been an improvement. It's an evolutionary process. I'll bet you weren't "perfect" when you first stepped foot on this earth either; and I'll bet you didn't have a bunch of people whining about your imperfections.:p

but my feeling is ESPN has gone backwards in their coverage...ESPN3 is broadcast is OK (for the most part, but it could be SO MUCH better with little or no extra effort*)...but the regular ESPN2 show has become all but unwatchable with the non-sense filler and emphasis on manufactured drama, irrelevant action and fluff...

*like putting a mic in front of one of the on track speakers so we can hear the the track announcer when the ESPN guys aren't on, and pointing a camera at the freakin' win lights so we know for sure who a race...but I guess I'm asking for the moon right :rolleyes:

The thing I can't srand is the always used, phony air gun sound! I noticed it on NASCAR broadcasts, NHRA pit shots, INDYCAR, etc... But on the NHRA shots, I don't see where anyone even has a gun in hand!
Porducers of these broadcast should have an air gun twist their nipples off!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back