ESPN coverage is Horrible !!!!! (1 Viewer)

The thing I can't srand is the always used, phony air gun sound! I noticed it on NASCAR broadcasts, NHRA pit shots, INDYCAR, etc... But on the NHRA shots, I don't see where anyone even has a gun in hand!
Porducers of these broadcast should have an air gun twist their nipples off!

Congratulations!!!!!!! A new alltime record low has been attained for things to complain about on Nitromater.
Phony air wrench sound:(

I agree with the comment that whoever thinks ESPN's full-color HD, same-day, detailed coverage isn't "good enough" just wasn't around when the Wide World of Sports was the only game in town. I remember all too well having to sit through ski-jumping and figure skating for 3/4 of the show just to get my several-weeks-old drag racing fix. Then came Diamond P and now ESPN. It's an evolutionary process and I feel it's better now than it has ever been. Jeez, we get qualifying for a couple hours and 3 or 4 hours race coverage on EVERY SINGLE RACE! Then there's Indy, my gawd, there's something like 12 hours or so coverage total on the US Nationals! What more do you people want? Either enjoy the effort that ESPN puts forth (for free with basic cable) or get off your butt an go to a national event with your Sony HandiCam and see if you could do better or quit watching and do something else with your time. Nobody's forcing you to watch and if sound affects irritate you that much you're wound a little too tight...

So how would all you ESPN haters like it if NHRA pulled the coverage and all we had was listening to the audiocast and reading the results in National Dragster? With ESPN we now have something we as fans have NEVER had before...SAME DAY COVERAGE OF EVERY NHRA RACE quit your b*tchin'

We have had same day tv coverage of every race for 12 years now. I don't understand the "never" part. Also aside from a few select races that still made network tv, we've had same day coverage since the early 90's. NHRA is only keeping up with the trends. With twitter, facebook, youtube, etc.. everything is instant. Drag Race Central has round by round results just after they happen (and have since late 1996), and NHRA has live timing. There are a ton of ways to find race results.

We have had same day tv coverage of every race for 12 years now. I don't understand the "never" part. Also aside from a few select races that still made network tv, we've had same day coverage since the early 90's. NHRA is only keeping up with the trends. With twitter, facebook, youtube, etc.. everything is instant. Drag Race Central has round by round results just after they happen (and have since late 1996), and NHRA has live timing. There are a ton of ways to find race results.

The only nationally televised same day coverage of NHRA racing has been provided by ESPN. TNN/Diamond P was recorded and televised at later dates. We have the best coverage ever, and that is provided by ESPN.

The only nationally televised same day coverage of NHRA racing has been provided by ESPN. TNN/Diamond P was recorded and televised at later dates. We have the best coverage ever, and that is provided by ESPN.

Apparently you were not around in 1992 when TNN aired the first LIVE coverage of NHRA, and continued to do so until 2000. Live. As it happened. TNN also aired live saturday qualifying or sportsman eliminations. Whatever was on track when NHRA Today went on the air was broadcast. Sometimes Pro Stock qualifying, sometimes Funny Car, sometimes Top Alcohol Qualifying.

Last edited:
so I guess the "ESPN apologists" think that whatever ESPN gives them will be fine and dandy and they'll never want anything ESPN doesn't provide? :confused:

maybe nobody should complain about health care because 100 years ago it was much worse? or nobody should complain about not enough horsepower in their new car because they have more HP now than muscle cars did in the 60's?

like I said, I just don't understand the "just take whatever they give you" thought process, just because IT (whatever IT is) is better than IT was decades ago...

if you like what ESPN is doing FINE no problem, but why tell me I should just accept it because it is better than Wide World of Sports in 1966? :rolleyes:

Well, I'll keep watching the ESPN coverage, and all the haters can go twiddle their thumbs waiting for something else...:p

so I guess the "ESPN apologists" think that whatever ESPN gives them will be fine and dandy and they'll never want anything ESPN doesn't provide? :confused:

maybe nobody should complain about health care because 100 years ago it was much worse? or nobody should complain about not enough horsepower in their new car because they have more HP now than muscle cars did in the 60's?

like I said, I just don't understand the "just take whatever they give you" thought process, just because IT (whatever IT is) is better than IT was decades ago...

if you like what ESPN is doing FINE no problem, but why tell me I should just accept it because it is better than Wide World of Sports in 1966? :rolleyes:
Orrr... You could shut your TV off and actually attend the events.

Or spend million's in advertising to get it to a prime time spot.

Your choice.

Tough balance between asking for more (expecting more) or being thankful. I think today's economic/political climate has many of us tiring of complaints. Not saying there is a direct link ... just sayin.

I, for one, thought that the blimp coverage was really good. I was in and out all day, but I don't think the ESPN3 shots included anything from the Goodyear blimp. Maybe the NHRA needs to buy one of those drones so we can have this at every race!

Tough balance between asking for more (expecting more) or being thankful. I think today's economic/political climate has many of us tiring of complaints. Not saying there is a direct link ... just sayin.

I, for one, thought that the blimp coverage was really good. I was in and out all day, but I don't think the ESPN3 shots included anything from the Goodyear blimp. Maybe the NHRA needs to buy one of those drones so we can have this at every race!

I'm a fan of the blimp too. Used to be a staple of the races (Sanyo Light Ship). I even miss seeing it at the race. Also miss the helicopter flybys. It's the little things.

On a random thought, it's cool seeing the EMS helicopter fly around at the beginning and end of the race - One year the pilots of that chopper were cruising the pits and I remember thinking those two dudes are the only people around here who are more hardcore then the nitro drivers themselves.

Apparently you were not around in 1992 when TNN aired the first LIVE coverage of NHRA, and continued to do so until 2000. Live. As it happened. TNN also aired live saturday qualifying or sportsman eliminations. Whatever was on track when NHRA Today went on the air was broadcast. Sometimes Pro Stock qualifying, sometimes Funny Car, sometimes Top Alcohol Qualifying.

This:

1995 NHRA Mopar Parts Nationals Saturday - YouTube

When would you get to see Jeanie Booz run? (BTW she can get away with ""*****'n" on the side of her car on TV)

I have long complained about ESPN's TV coverage to no avail.

I do remember (barely) the days of Wide World of Sports, and tape-delayed Diamond P coverage. I would turn on TNNs American Sports Calvalcade every Sunday hoping it was going to be Drag Racing, and not Sippie Hole Racing or Tractor Pulls. TNNs "live" coverage was usually only Indy and Pomona, most other events you were lucky to see the week after they were run.

I attend 4-5 National Events per year, sometimes more, so I do actually get off the couch and pay my money.

It is not up to me to take a camera to the track and try to do better ... NHRA is PAYING ESPN for the coverage they provide. In fact, it is the NHRAs single biggest expense.

All of that being said, I absolutely LOVE ESPN3's coverage on the interwebs. I have a flat screen TV with built in wireless, and I can watch the ESPN3 coverage in HD. The Friday night coverage is SPECTACULAR, usually Dave Reiff is in the booth to mitigate PP, and there is a looser more jovial feel to the webcast. On race day, they show all classes from start to finish, though usually there are no commentators during sportsmen, but the ambient mics around the track can usually pick up the PA system, so you can hear Bob Frey or Alan Reinhart call the action if you pay close enough attention. ESPN3 also allows you to watch the coverage anytime, there have been many times when I watched Friday night's webcast on Saturday.

I still DVR the TV coverage, but I usually only watch it if I was busy on Sunday and not able to see the ESPN3 coverage. Even then, it is still a fast forward fest through the TV coverage.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back