DRO scoop? (1 Viewer)

maybe the thing that makes this the most believable is that the SMI line for the past few months has been that they're not interested. if you take your ovaltine PR spin decoder and set it to setting No. 3, that means they have been in active talks and are very interested....

i've thought all along this was only a matter of time after the hdp deal fell thru.

anxiously awaiting the details. just looking at the way bruton and co do business, it does give some optimism. everything they do is top notch and not half assed.

I'd take the "Burkester" comments with a grain of salt.
He's not ordering PATRON shooters with his Bud Lite!

If you follow the rest of the motorsports media you'll note that Speedway Motorsports, Inc.'s profits have been in a downturn.

And some other factors:

Why in the world Mr Smith would want to buy a SANCTIONING body when he's a racetrasck owner/promoter.

The SCARIER part is that , months ago, Smith was quoted (?) as saying he'd keep the STATUS QUO at NHRA (look up yer Latin) if he indeed DID buy NHRA -Did the reporter even REALLY talked to Smith about this? If Smith followed the internet's comments about the state of NHRA he'd have recommended a CLEAN SWEEP!

Everybody's hoping he's the savior of NHRA racing- maybe we outta ask Humpy Wheeler just what 'ol Bruton's all about.

I think there may be some missed points......1) Posturing to better position themselves ("Not Interested") makes good business sense. 2) Once the HDP deal become public, they (NHRA)could no longer say they were not for sale. 3) Finally, the very people you are talking about "making a clean sweep of" will have to sign off on the deal..............how much house cleaning should go on? :) or at least be talked about :confused:

If you follow the rest of the motorsports media you'll note that Speedway Motorsports, Inc.'s profits have been in a downturn.

So you either "go home" or "double down". Bruton seems like the Double Down type, especially with the new track(s).

Why in the world Mr Smith would want to buy a SANCTIONING body when he's a racetrasck owner/promoter.

To gain control, of course. He has almost no control in NASCAR, they change rules on him, take huge percentages of his gate, controls PR and media, etc. Imagine how great it would be to not only own the tent, but the traveling circus that appears in it.

The SCARIER part is that , months ago, Smith was quoted (?) as saying he'd keep the STATUS QUO at NHRA (look up yer Latin) if he indeed DID buy NHRA -Did the reporter even REALLY talked to Smith about this? If Smith followed the internet's comments about the state of NHRA he'd have recommended a CLEAN SWEEP!

No one EVER says "I'm going to clean house" in buyouts/takeovers, especially if they intend to do just that. Remember, they are negotiating with the very people they're going to fire. They need them to think everything will be fine -- until they own them. Then, within minutes, they break out the uzis.

Pretty hard to argue with your responses to my post -the only uknowns are if Burke DID switch to PATRON, or is hallucinating on Cabo Wabo?

You mean make every track 4 lanes??? I'll believe it when I see it as well, Bruton is 76 years old! And I know Chris Powell and his other track mgrs. want nothing to do with running the NHRA full time!

I'll be submitting my Application to his company soon... I'll be happy to do that job when He passes on...;)

my take: i feel burk respects his job, and respects himself, and respects the sport he covers. i'm sorry, but it takes mucho balls to put on the internet what was printed. think about it guys, what we're talking about is a guy , a writer who has gone on public record saying "this is what will happen." I am not saying he is right or wrong. but when you come out and say something like for instance...er...BRUTON SMITH WILL ANNOUNCE PURCHASE OF NHRA AT CHARLOTTE....well it better happen, or all credibility is lost for Mr. Jeff Burk. I don't know Jeff but I give him the benefit of the doubt.

Whether this happens or not, there has to be somebody accountable for saying/ writing these things. I'm not smart enough to know what's best for the NhRA and more importantly the racers and us the fans. But I'm putting Mr. Burks credibility to the test here. If he's right, I applaud him. If not, well he loses all the points he's earned.

I hope Mr. Burk understands that he knows things we don't. And we rely
on him to educate us. I hope that he wouldn't put his name on something that would just promote hype and counter numbers on his site.

PPL in Amercia have to accountable, from the waitress at your fav rest., to Jeff Burk.

My name is Steve Bullard, and I paid for this message.

ok....Popcorn...
animated-popcorn.gif

CHECK..(thx to Loder..!)

....3D Glasses to see all the SPECIAL EFFECTS....
3-d-glasses-traditional.gif

Even has instructions on how they are to be used....!

ok... and Bottle Of Cristal to pop open once the sale is complete...

champagne-cristal1.jpg

Yo...Yo...Yo... I'm set DOG!!!!

Oh, and Mills Lane.. Do you have anything to add to this Sir???

cdmxena19.jpg

"Let's get it ON!!"

Ok Tim your REALLY trying to confuse the Caveman with that one!

maybe the thing that makes this the most believable is that the SMI line for the past few months has been that they're not interested. if you take your ovaltine PR spin decoder and set it to setting No. 3, that means they have been in active talks and are very interested....

i've thought all along this was only a matter of time after the hdp deal fell thru.

anxiously awaiting the details. just looking at the way bruton and co do business, it does give some optimism. everything they do is top notch and not half assed.

My hope is IF this comes to fruition that payout purses go up.....for everyone...pro and sportsman alike. It can't be "business as usual" with 21st century expenses and 20th century payouts:mad: Oh, 25% increase for TF and FC in 09.....whoopte te frickin doo:p

Last edited:
I've been involved in no fewer than six purchases and/or sales of businesses (well into the hundreds of millions of dollars), from the perspective of an employee caught in the whirlwind, a manager of a company being purchased, and an executive on the purchasing side. Every one of them had a very careful PR plan that included vehement denials of anything and everything (including well-detailed justifications for the denial), up until the precise moment of the sale.

This denial means one of two things: a) there is nothing going on, or b) there is everything going on.

Be very careful what you wish for...you might just get it! Smith is a business man first, and always. Tradition, the past? Don't think so. NHRA is like any large corporation as they do some things well and others, not so much. We have a 24 race series that seems to do pretty well right now but there are many things on the NHRA plate at this moment. Safety, safety and then maybe a special group to look into safety. I hope they're aren't distracted by anything else.

Be very careful what you wish for...you might just get it! Smith is a business man first, and always. Tradition, the past? Don't think so. NHRA is like any large corporation as they do some things well and others, not so much. We have a 24 race series that seems to do pretty well right now but there are many things on the NHRA plate at this moment. Safety, safety and then maybe a special group to look into safety. I hope they're aren't distracted by anything else.

what tradition and past are being honored now....
Tom and Graham show aren't businessmen...but cash grubbin'robbers/thieves.
OBSmith....Honorable cat from what I've seen!:)

Don did something against the rules,the price may be hefty,but against the rules,end of story....Move on people...........I think there are bigger issues like saftey,i dont like the 1,oo0 ft rule but its a fix for the time.......Move on!!!

The "rumor" that Bruton is buying _________ (NHRA/IHRA/Nastycar/Kmart/Walmart) - you fill in the blanks) has been swirling for YEARS, people. I bet he loves reading all the rumors! Maybe one day ONE of them will come true! :)

Why in the hell would anybody want to buy the NHRA in this current state of Drag Racing? The economy sucks, nitro's on the moon, they don't have enough cars, the 1000' thing. What else is there? If Bruton Smith is supposed to be some whiz bang business man that knows all about making money, I can't imagine what he would want with Wally World. If Bruton wants to go Drag Racing, start your own thing and then everybody will flock to his series. That is, if it's so great. Why buy somebody elses problems?

Dave

BTW, I still don't know who owns the NHRA. Maybe Burk can investigate and the get facts on that one.

Why buy now? It might be the best time to buy. That's the way Warren Buffet has made his Berkshire Hathaway fortune, buying companies when the economy was bad. It's the classic buy low, sell high.

One key note worth mentioning. One of the key factors of the HDP acquisition was that it was going to give NHRA 'access' to corporate financing. SMI doesn't seem to have a problem with either finding funding for projects or doing it out of their own resources.

HDP probably bought at the worst possible time. Oil is dropping, the election will be over by year's end, I'd say it's a damn good time to buy.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back